Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 11:30 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
yes, the mothership is a milwaukee company, but the flavorings HQ is/was in Indianapolis and that is what is moving, but the manufacturing plant will remain.

Milwaukee-based Sensient Technologies Corp. said Friday it plans to move its Indianapolis-based Flavors & Fragrances Group corporate headquarters to Chicago before mid-2014.

nickel and diming information. BRG, I expect that from you, msam .. not so much. tsk tsk.

Yes, they were caught up in the diacytl debacle .. pop weaver, conagra, among other companies were caught up in it as well.

They, like thousands of other companies before them, paid up and now they are moving on. Indy's loss is Chicago's gain. It will probably cost the mothership less money in travel for executives between milwaukee and Chicago in the long run.
not really.
Considering the higher taxes and with Illinois Pension Mess taxes can only go up.
So in the end as always ill have the last laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 12:49 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
how's that tin foil hat working out?

Old 02-12-2013, 10:39 AM

218 posts, read 462,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
not really.
Considering the higher taxes and with Illinois Pension Mess taxes can only go up.
So in the end as always ill have the last laugh.
The management, high-skill, high-wage jobs are moving to Chicago. We're getting left with the Joe Six Packs.

But Joe Six Pack is kind of emblematic of Indy as a whole. Median wages in this state are at the bottom for the Midwest, and since all we still seem to get are blue collar jobs, that's not likely to change in the future.

Chicago is a supremely more attractive place for professionals, many of whom are willing to pay higher taxes and higher living costs for all those amenities.

I'm not saying it's this way for everybody--Indy has more than enough to offer for me--but the numbers don't lie. Indiana has never attracted management. For many industries, the state just cheap flat land with an abundance of workers that are heavy on specialized technical training but light on advanced degrees.

Forget what they say about Minnesota; Indiana is the true gopher state.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandandjules View Post
The management, high-skill, high-wage jobs are moving to Chicago. We're getting left with the Joe Six Packs.

But Joe Six Pack is kind of emblematic of Indy as a whole. Median wages in this state are at the bottom for the Midwest, and since all we still seem to get are blue collar jobs, that's not likely to change in the future.

Chicago is a supremely more attractive place for professionals, many of whom are willing to pay higher taxes and higher living costs for all those amenities.

I'm not saying it's this way for everybody--Indy has more than enough to offer for me--but the numbers don't lie. Indiana has never attracted management. For many industries, the state just cheap flat land with an abundance of workers that are heavy on specialized technical training but light on advanced degrees.

Forget what they say about Minnesota; Indiana is the true gopher state.
Well what do you have to say about California?
Both are liberal states and their cost of living/taxes continue to rise.
Young Professionals dont dream of going to California anymore to start a business. Illinois will be in the same boat in 10 years.
Dont believe me just watch. I have plans to meet with Ballard again and this meeting will have major implications for our city.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:05 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Quote:
Well what do you have to say about California?
Both are liberal states and their cost of living/taxes continue to rise.
Young Professionals dont dream of going to California anymore to start a business. Illinois will be in the same boat in 10 years.
Dont believe me just watch. I have plans to meet with Ballard again and this meeting will have major implications for our city.
you're meeting with the Mayor again? Can't wait to hear all about the BRG initiative:

Peter Shaffer's Amadeus in 30 seconds - YouTube

Old 02-12-2013, 11:24 AM

Bertrand--triple rep points for your post above. You've made your point with facts that cannot be ignored.

If my spouse and I had to depend upon getting a professional job in IN to move here, we would still be in IL. We were only able to relocate because my spouse worked out of our home for years and could continue to do so.

Why move back to IN? Because we had long wanted to move back to B-ton as we enjoy the culture and life of living near a university. We didn't really consider the Indianapolis metro area. We looked. It could not provide the lifestyle we wanted for ourselves and our kids. Taxes and slightly lower property costs were a bonus, but those things were not a deciding factor. We also wanted our kids to be able to attend our alma mater, IU, as instate students.

A quick glance at most relocation threads don't show people just dying to move to IN. People move here because there is a job relocation, and most job relocations are not voluntary if one wants to keep a job.

BTW-I continue to be stunned by the lack of geography being taught in IN schools. CA is not in the midwest. I love how a particular poster consistently changes the topic when the facts don't back up outlandish claims. People in tech industries still continue to be drawn to CA.

Does Ballard have a security detail?

Last edited by rrah; 02-12-2013 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
hahahahah i thought someone would link that.
Already prepared for that.

Sensient settles with state, federal regulators | 2012-12-26 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com

its alright if this company is having trouble with the laws in Indiana oh man i dont want to imagine how much trouble they will be in Illinois.
Plus the higher taxes.
for some reason i see this company going the way of Navistar and Sears. broke and running out of money.
You just don't get it. If low cost was the only thing that mattered, the rural south would be booming.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:33 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
You just don't get it. If low cost was the only thing that mattered, the rural south would be booming.
but but but but but ...

Indianapolis is like Atlanta!

Old 02-12-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
but but but but but ...

Indianapolis is like Atlanta!
Only we have four real seasons, no bad weather ever, and no traffic. It's just utopia don't you know! Not a gosh darn thing bad about it.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:45 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,854,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Only we have four real seasons, no bad weather ever, and no traffic. It's just utopia don't you know! Not a gosh darn thing bad about it.

And maybe you haven't heard this before but we have the lowest cost of living in the entire country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis