Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 02:30 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,264,620 times

Advertisements

I don't really know that this will relieve much congestion on I-69. It may reduce some congestion along 116th and 96th Streets. And I understand it would be nice for the people that work in the office parks between 96th and 116th Streets, but this would put three interchanges in a 3 mile stretch of the highway, which, in my opinion, will just increase congestion, not alleviate it. Plus 106th Street is just a narrow 2 lane road. I don't know that it could handle the extra traffic from an interstate exit. Personally, I will never understand why they didn't go for an interchange at 126th St when they widened that road to 4 lanes, but that's another story.

http://www.ibj.com/hamilton-county-o.../article/38552

Last edited by ischyros; 12-17-2012 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 02:51 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
I don't really know that this will relieve much congestion on I-69. It may reduce some congestion along 116th and 96th Streets. And I understand it would be nice for the people that live in the office parks between 96th and 116th Streets, but this would put three interchanges in a 3 mile stretch of the highway, which, in my opinion, will just increase congestion, not alleviate it. Plus 106th Street is just a narrow 2 lane road. I don't know that it could handle the extra traffic from an interstate exit. Personally, I will never understand why they didn't go for an interchange at 126th St when they widened that road to 4 lanes, but that's another story.

Hamilton County officials to push for new I-69 interchange | 2012-12-17 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com
I wonder if Fishers High School and Billericay Park were an obstacle to putting one in at 126th.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I wonder if Fishers High School and Billericay Park were an obstacle to putting one in at 126th.
I could see the park, but you really only need an entrance and exit from the interstate in one direction. I mean, the SB exit lane could travel under the bridge and then turn northwest to connect with 126th across from Promise Rd, with the entrance to SB there as well. You might have to buy and tear down that storage facility that is there, but everything else should be fine. And they just put in a stoplight at that intersection. And the opposite on the NB side. Exit traffic travels under the bridge and then makes a turn south, though it'd be too sharp of a turn to line up with Hoosier Rd. The only obstacle there is a retention pond. To me, a 5 mile stretch of interstate the the heart of Fishers without an interchange is just too long.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:42 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,279 times
Why don't they wait to see if they get their billion dollar train? All we hear from the Hamilton Co. elected leaders is that the train and expanded bus service is need and will be a benefit. OK, if it is such a home run, wouldn't that mean a lot less car traffic in that area? They shouldn't be allowed to have it both ways: Either stick with the train plan, or scrap the costly train, expand rush-hour express bus service, and construct this interchange if it will really help.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Why don't they wait to see if they get their billion dollar train? All we hear from the Hamilton Co. elected leaders is that the train and expanded bus service is need and will be a benefit. OK, if it is such a home run, wouldn't that mean a lot less car traffic in that area? They shouldn't be allowed to have it both ways: Either stick with the train plan, or scrap the costly train, expand rush-hour express bus service, and construct this interchange if it will really help.
Train service is only a small portion of the Indy Connect plan that will great enhance and expand bus service and coverage throughout Marion and Hamilton County. The rail line will also have more stops in Marion County than it will in Hamilton County.

And this interchange is more for people commuting TO Fishers, the office parks that line I-69 in that 2 mile stretch, not so much from Fishers.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:39 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
I used to love taking 106th street as an alternate because there was never much traffic on it if I needed to go east/west ... not so much now.

building roads is cheaper than building train lines I guess.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:28 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,279 times
Quote:
Train service is only a small portion of the Indy Connect plan that will great enhance and expand bus service and coverage throughout Marion and Hamilton County. The rail line will also have more stops in Marion County than it will in Hamilton County.
I don't consider any part of any plan that is 50% of the cost to be "only a small portion." The number of stops is irrelevant, as the bulk of the rational for a rail line in this area is due to commuter traffic on I-465/I-69. The number of stops likely has more to do with politics than anything. If they can prove Marion Co. will be funding the bulk of the project, and get most of the benefits (especially if one looks at the bus expansion), then it is clear to me the last thing MC leaders want are more stations built in the burbs. Just more reason for folks to leave the city and take their taxes with them.

Quote:
And this interchange is more for people commuting TO Fishers, the office parks that line I-69 in that 2 mile stretch, not so much from Fishers.
Well, the same folks gotta leave, so to me it is a wash. I doubt they will design it solely to benefit the morning incoming rush. Not only that, there has been many suggestions that anyone who happens to live in S. Marion Co./N. Johnson could cut their car drive in half and use the rail system to ride to Fishers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: