Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 01:38 PM

85 posts, read 216,456 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job at IU Methodist Hospital. I have 2 elementary aged kids, one with special needs, and all the advice I've received points me to Carmel-Zionsville. I am not used to long commutes, so the distance (15 miles or more) is a bit daunting, even though I hear traffic is not bad. I hear it takes 20-25 minutes to get to the hospital from that distance, but I'm skeptical. Especially since coming from Carmel it's all surface street driving. I also don't see why I was told that Carmel would be just fine for commuting to IU Methodist but Fisher's would be just awful, since they take similar surface routes. Maybe they're just talking about I-69 being under construction right now?

In addition, we are looking for a neighborhood with some trees, maybe even a neighborhood that's not an HOA. I realize this seems rare in Carmel, it's just that we're not used to planned communities. Are there good pockets of this in Carmel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 01:49 PM

406 posts, read 1,039,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadr View Post
I am considering a job at IU Methodist Hospital. I have 2 elementary aged kids, one with special needs, and all the advice I've received points me to Carmel-Zionsville. I am not used to long commutes, so the distance (15 miles or more) is a bit daunting, even though I hear traffic is not bad. I hear it takes 20-25 minutes to get to the hospital from that distance, but I'm skeptical. Especially since coming from Carmel it's all surface street driving. I also don't see why I was told that Carmel would be just fine for commuting to IU Methodist but Fisher's would be just awful, since they take similar surface routes. Maybe they're just talking about I-69 being under construction right now?

In addition, we are looking for a neighborhood with some trees, maybe even a neighborhood that's not an HOA. I realize this seems rare in Carmel, it's just that we're not used to planned communities. Are there good pockets of this in Carmel?
It's more like 45 minutes on average. I prefer living on the northside than living downtown. I commute everyday, and it does not bother me. Carmel would be more family oriented than Zionsville. I would recommend you live in Carmel if you want good schools, a safe suburb, that's very close to the city.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:58 PM

53 posts, read 134,158 times
I picked a random Carmel address (116th and Spring Mill) and from there you're looking at ~25 minutes to IU Methodist. If you have to make that drive during peak hours, you could easily add 10 minutes to that. 136th and Gray...30 minutes minimum, likely 40-45 during rush hour. Most Zionsville locations were in that same 25-30 minute window during off-peak hours, meaning 35-45 if you're with the morning/evening crowd.

That's pretty much just the nature of Indianapolis suburbs. 15+ miles to downtown and long commutes. Fishers and Noblesville are worse because they all funnel into downtown via the I69/Binford corridor, which is just horrid. Some Fishers folks take the longer route of I70 east to 465 and the up to Fishers/Lawrence, but that doesn't work for everyone.

There are public and private school options inside 465 as well, obviously, but they take a bit more due diligence.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:27 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,309 times
Quote:

Carmel is a bit of an easier drive because it's direct down Meridian Street. Yes, traffic stacks up at some stoplights, but for the most part, you keep moving pretty well.

From Fishers, the main route in is I-69 which backs up every single morning on the way in from 82nd to at least SR 37, sometimes all the way to 126th St. And in the afternoon from 96th to SR 37. And SR 37 isn't much better as a large majority of the I-69 traffic exits onto SR 37. A year from now when the I-69/SR 37/ 116th St interchange is (supposedly) complete, I think traffic will flow much better, there will be 4 lanes of traffic in each direction all the way to 465, and entry lanes will continue and become exit lanes at the next interchange (much like the newly redone 465 is between Allisonville and Meridian).

Normal traffic, I would say 25 minutes is right to get from Carmel to IU Methodist. During rush hour, probably closer to 40 minutes. If it snows, even just an inch, might as well just stay home. In a couple years, US 31 will be closing for a year all the way through Carmel (from 465 on the south to Keystone on the north) to rebuild it to interstate standards, so that will make things very interesting. But I do think it will be worth it to remove all the stoplights.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:15 PM

24 posts, read 85,315 times
If your special needs child requires special educational services, give a serious look at IPS (Indianapolis Public Schools). Although I don't have first-hand experience in this area, I have heard from multiple people that IPS actually excels with this, and a co-worker of mine has recently moved into the IPS district for their special education services.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:34 PM

24 posts, read 85,315 times
I have to throw this in too...you may be hearing the Carmel/Zionsville/Fishers refrain because that's the easy answer. When my twin brother - a doctor - was relocating to the metro area to cover a number of hospitals (including IU Methodist), he was actively discouraged by his realtor from looking anywhere inside the 465 loop.

Living in an HOA development in a suburb is what many people want, and I think it's great that we have those options. But if that's not what fits you, don't feel pressured into it because it's not the only acceptable situation. There are gorgeous neighborhoods with big old trees where your kids can attend great schools within minutes of where you need to work. It just takes more work to tease those houses out because there are pockets of the city and schools *generally speaking inside the loop* which are not ok.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:07 AM

1 posts, read 5,134 times
Quote:

I live on the north side of Zionsville and it takes 25 minutes to get to downtown. Traffic on 65 is almost never bad. Not sure what the other person was saying about Carmel being more family oriented than Zionsville. Both towns are mainly very family oriented.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:17 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabaghoul View Post
It's more like 45 minutes on average. I prefer living on the northside than living downtown. I commute everyday, and it does not bother me. Carmel would be more family oriented than Zionsville. I would recommend you live in Carmel if you want good schools, a safe suburb, that's very close to the city.
This sounds like more of a sales pitch for Carmel than useful advice. Zionsville is just off I-65, which is a much easier drive than Meridian Street or Keystone Ave. Both are family oriented, and Zionsville is known for its excellent schools. Personally, I would take Zionsville over Carmel if given the choice.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:42 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,532,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
This sounds like more of a sales pitch for Carmel than useful advice. Zionsville is just off I-65, which is a much easier drive than Meridian Street or Keystone Ave. Both are family oriented, and Zionsville is known for its excellent schools. Personally, I would take Zionsville over Carmel if given the choice.
A lot of Zionsville neighborhoods lack quick access to 65, so folks use Michigan Road/421 to commute into Indy. I think the commute comparison is a wash.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:52 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
A lot of Zionsville neighborhoods lack quick access to 65, so folks use Michigan Road/421 to commute into Indy. I think the commute comparison is a wash.
My thought is, if you are closer to the heart of Z-ville you can take Z-ville Rd to 86th Street and hit 465 south to 65 south. Also, you can take Michigan Rd to 465 and take that around to 65 if that is your preference. Or, take Michigan Rd all the way down to 65 south. Personally, I prefer all of those options over taking Meridian all the way downtown; though if someone is dead set on Carmel I don't think there is enough of a difference to be persuaded one way or another based on the commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis