Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 05:54 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,895,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Oh good gravy .. should I delete all that racist drivel, or keep it hoping that people will finally stop feeding madness by reading the posts?'

Or should I forward it to Ballard?
Leave it. A rational and prudent person will just shake his or her head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 06:30 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,123,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
While Detroit is predominantly black, your figures are pretty off.

Detroit is 82.7% black and 10.6% white. That's in the city itself, the metro figures would look vastly different, probably similar to Indianapolis.

The only reason why Indianapolis' figures show it having a white majority is because the city land area is so huge it incorporates most of its suburbs and outlying towns, where most white families live already. IF Indianapolis were approximately 100 square miles, I think you would see a black majority and you may not feel the same way about it, since it would be predominantly black.
Would be about 50/50 mayne slightly majority caucasian. Even now center township is predominantly caucasian but only by a hair. Irregardless, definitely one of the dumb*** statements of the young year. If it weren't for the politics forum would be #1.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:05 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,653,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandandjules View Post
Columbus OH and Indianapolis have almost identical racial breakdowns. Columbus has a slightly larger Asian population than Indy; Indy has a bigger Hispanic population than Columbus.

Other cities with similar racial compositions to Indy: Nashville, Kansas City, Jacksonville, and (to a slightly lesser extent) Charlotte and Pittsburgh.
Ya Columbus and it's dublin suburb is much more Asian than Indy. Indy is relatively more hispanic than Columbus. Columbus also have more African immigration. The city has the second largest samallii populations and other specific African nationalities.

The biggest difference aren't ethnicities but that Columbus has one of the largest universities in the US and 12 other colleges and universities. So the city is younger and a larger LGBT population.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:32 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,898,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Would be about 50/50 mayne slightly majority caucasian. Even now center township is predominantly caucasian but only by a hair. Irregardless, definitely one of the dumb*** statements of the young year. If it weren't for the politics forum would be #1.
Don't mean to call you out, because I actually agree with you most of the time...but irregardless is not a word. Ir means the opposite, the less in regardless means without regard. Adding ir to regardless would mean it has regard. Kind of an oxymoron, it's just regardless. Total pet peeve of mine when people say "irregardless".

Irregardless | Define Irregardless at Dictionary.com

Old 04-18-2013, 01:37 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,799,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Don't mean to call you out, because I actually agree with you most of the time...but irregardless is not a word. Ir means the opposite, the less in regardless means without regard. Adding ir to regardless would mean it has regard. Kind of an oxymoron, it's just regardless. Total pet peeve of mine when people say "irregardless".

Irregardless | Define Irregardless at Dictionary.com
The misuse of that word drives me up a wall. It is commonly used as a word on this forum.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:36 PM

218 posts, read 460,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Ya Columbus and it's dublin suburb is much more Asian than Indy. Indy is relatively more hispanic than Columbus. Columbus also have more African immigration. The city has the second largest samallii populations and other specific African nationalities.

The biggest difference aren't ethnicities but that Columbus has one of the largest universities in the US and 12 other colleges and universities. So the city is younger and a larger LGBT population.
Maybe.

Dublin is 15% Asian according to 2010 Census; Carmel (Indy's equivalent suburb) is 9% Asian. But Carmel is also almost twice as big as Dublin, so the Asian numbers are probably about the same. Indy doesn't have the Somali population of Columbus, but we have a little, as well as Liberian and Eritrean. Indy's big refugee population is SE Asian (mostly Myanmar/Burma).

OSU is definitely a huge influence, don't get me wrong. But I don't get the vibe that Columbus is that much "younger" than Indy. Both cities have strong economies, which influences their youngness. You want to see an "old" city? Go to Pittsburgh. Still tons of universities there, but the young folk leave after graduation, leaving lots of neighborhoods with mostly elderly people.

As for LGBT, the school definitely plays a big part. But LGBT people tend to go to cities, particularly when they come from small towns. Since Indy is the ONLY big city in Indiana, it gets the lion's share of small town LGBT folks who stay in state. In Ohio, there are plenty who go to Cincy or Cleveland as well, though I suspect Columbus is still the most desirable of the three (since it has by far the best economy).

Old 04-22-2013, 04:40 PM

11 posts, read 23,921 times
I have lived in both Columbus (where I live now) and Indianapolis (went to school at IUPUI). They are so similar, it's not even funny. I would say there are aspects about each that give it an edge.

For Columbus: German Village is unrivaled, along with Short North. The shopping and restaurants around the city as a whole are better too. OSU adds a great dynamic and atmosphere along with the Blue Jackets and the Crew.
For Indianapolis: the downtown is much better and the canal is great. The restaurants downtown trump those in downtown Columbus. Also, the Pacers and Colts franchises add a flare to the city that OSU, CBJ and Crew can't quite compete with.

As far as transportation, the commute will be about the same. The public transit sucks in both places. Indianapolis, however, is open to the idea of a light rail system, which Columbus has basically shut down. Cost of living is almost identical and the for each suburb in Indy there is a close substitute in Columbus, and vice versa. Both cities are great for their own reasons and the fun part about moving there is figuring that out for yourself.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:33 AM

4,111 posts, read 9,013,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Having 1 race dominate a city leads to racism and problems/corruption.
Look at Detroit.
90% black and less than 5% white.
Gary is the same way.
Chicago is also extremely segregated hence why there's no majority race there yet however white flight is still happening and even black flight too.
Having more equal representation of all the races in a city is better.
Instead of 90% black in Indianapolis its under 60% white 25+% black and 15% other races including Hispanics.
I don't mind other races at all but having only 1 race dominate a city is just no rather it be white black or whatever.
Also to make sure nobody calls me racist I realize very well all races have their trashy citizens.
White Trash
Black Trash
Hispanic trash etc.
Gary is 9 percent white and 84 percent black.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:54 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Gary is 9 percent white and 84 percent black.
And its still a rough estimate.
4% off isn't something to drop the ball and scream and yell foul.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:07 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,123,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
And its still a rough estimate.
4% off isn't something to drop the ball and scream and yell foul.
You're just shooting yourself in the foot with this one. You can't argue what you are trying to argue about a city being better without a "dominant" race all while championing Carmel's utopia and 85% white population. If it's just about race, just say it, you'll gain more respect in just being real about it instead of making a comment and then trying to backtrack when you realize just how unpopular that comment was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis