Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:03 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think this seems like a bad idea if for no other reason than because of the business it would take away from some of the hotels that have conference centers, like the Renaissance or the Fountains or the Sheraton (which is technically in Indianapolis so Carmel probably wants to steal that business). What do you guys think?

http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...n-center-next-

Last edited by ischyros; 02-05-2013 at 07:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 07:13 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
If Carmel's endgame is something along the lines of the smallish center in Overland Park, KS; then more power to 'em.

If Carmel's endgame is to take business away from the big convention center downtown (I know they say it's not), then it is time for Carmel to implode on itself.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:44 AM

891 posts, read 2,450,519 times
The idea is to have a larger convention area than a hotel would, but still much smaller than the Indy convention center. I am not an expert, but I would think there is a market for that size and type of convention center in carmel.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:50 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
If Carmel's endgame is something along the lines of the smallish center in Overland Park, KS; then more power to 'em.

If Carmel's endgame is to take business away from the big convention center downtown (I know they say it's not), then it is time for Carmel to implode on itself.

Does Carmel do anything on a small scale?

Old 04-03-2013, 12:17 AM

5 posts, read 6,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Does Carmel do anything on a small scale?
Yes, the Museum of Miniature Houses. Bazinga! :-)

Oh yeah, there's also a guy who has a model railroading museum too! :-)

Old 04-03-2013, 04:18 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
How's the Palladium doing??? That was a big undertaking.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:43 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
How's the Palladium doing??? That was a big undertaking.
Eating tax dollars like skittles.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:06 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Does Hamilton County impose the 1% food/beverage tax on restaurant meals? I'm just curious as the Bloomington/Monroe County Convention Center wants to expand. To get the funding to do so they want to impose the 1% tax on restaurant meals. Granted 1% is not a huge amount, just a few cents really. The problem I have is that they have not proven a larger convention center is needed or will be used in Monroe County or that the additional funding is needed.

Although Bloomington is a great place to live and visit, the distance from the airport is problematic in my opinion. Carmel would be much more convenient for air travelers, and even those driving, if it was to compete with Bloomington.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:17 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Does Hamilton County impose the 1% food/beverage tax on restaurant meals? I'm just curious as the Bloomington/Monroe County Convention Center wants to expand. To get the funding to do so they want to impose the 1% tax on restaurant meals. Granted 1% is not a huge amount, just a few cents really. The problem I have is that they have not proven a larger convention center is needed or will be used in Monroe County or that the additional funding is needed.

Although Bloomington is a great place to live and visit, the distance from the airport is problematic in my opinion. Carmel would be much more convenient for air travelers, and even those driving, if it was to compete with Bloomington.
Yes, Hamilton County has that 1% tax. Carmel has an additional 1% tax on top of that as well, like Indianapolis so sales tax on restaurant meals is 9%. Fishers doesn't so sales tax on restaurant meals is 8%. I'm not sure about other communities like Noblesville and Westfield. That 1% above the regular state sales tax, I believe, is for funding of Lucas Oil Stadium and the new airport terminal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all but 1 of the donut counties has that extra tax.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:56 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Yes, Hamilton County has that 1% tax. Carmel has an additional 1% tax on top of that as well, like Indianapolis so sales tax on restaurant meals is 9%. Fishers doesn't so sales tax on restaurant meals is 8%. I'm not sure about other communities like Noblesville and Westfield. That 1% above the regular state sales tax, I believe, is for funding of Lucas Oil Stadium and the new airport terminal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all but 1 of the donut counties has that extra tax.
Terminal used no tax dollars. The only county that has the optional 1% tax not used for the stadium is Morgan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis