Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 11:01 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times

Advertisements

Reading the comments on the article on the Indy Star, I am wondering if people have forgotten how to read.

That is all I came to say..............I have never been to any race of any kind at the speedway; I have been there for the Mutt Strut and that's it. What they are asking for sounds reasonable enough to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 03:34 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
a simple fix for that would be to modify the rules for the brickyard 400 and dont have speed limits and allow more freedom with the cars.
Indycars go over 220 MPH. why do nascars have to stay under 200 MPH at IMS?
There are no speed limts (restrictor plates) at the Brickyard 400. The reason NASCAR enthusiasts say the race is boring is due to track configuration. The track is narrow, the corners aren't sweeping (more like smoothed 90 degree corners with a short chute between 1+2 and 3+4, and the corners aren't banked. Infield seating also obstructs views if you want to follow certain cars all the way around the track.

Open wheel cars are more nimble so they can run together on the corners. Heavier NASCAR cars need to run more single file on that type of track.

Putting some lights above the track and running a race at night won't change that.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:29 AM

127 posts, read 142,925 times
Just think of the consequences of the track going away or becoming obsolete. All of Speedway might as well pack up and move elsewhere. All the restaurants, hotels, stores, etc. would quickly go out of business. It would be a huge loss to downtown facilities as well. Not to mention Brownsburg.

I'm very anti-tax hike, but I don't think we can avoid this one. It seems like a wise investment.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:06 PM

261 posts, read 500,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Kat View Post
Just think of the consequences of the track going away or becoming obsolete. All of Speedway might as well pack up and move elsewhere. All the restaurants, hotels, stores, etc. would quickly go out of business. It would be a huge loss to downtown facilities as well. Not to mention Brownsburg.

I'm very anti-tax hike, but I don't think we can avoid this one. It seems like a wise investment.

The track can't just "go away". It's the legendary Indianapolis Motor Speedway, one of the most famous sports venues in the entire world. It will always run the Indy 500.

I wonder just how many hundreds of millions were squandered on the IRL? They probably wouldn't need this 100 million if it weren't for all of the stupidity of the past 17 years.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:06 AM

127 posts, read 142,925 times
It won't run the 500, 400, Moto GP or anything else if it's no longer profitable. With other tracks offering better amenities and taking the crowds, the IMS may some day be referred to as the track that "used to be one of the most famous sports venues in the world."

Invest in the track and we invest in our future. Let it go to pot and the rest of the area will follow suit.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:08 AM

261 posts, read 500,769 times
It would be impossible for the Indianapolis 500 to not be profitable. Even during the decline of popularity after the split, the place was still raking in the money. Gate revenues, advertising, sponsorships, etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis