Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 02:29 PM

58 posts, read 126,182 times

Advertisements

I had a post awhile back about Greenwood vs Moorseville. I recently started looking to areas farther north of Indianapolis. Mainly because Whole Foods is up there and I don't want to have to drive 40 minutes to the grocery store every few weeks. My husband and I are interested in the small town feel, somewhere I can garden and grow food, and hopefully raise a family sometime. We also don't want to live somewhere uber expensive, but not in the hood. We would also LOVE somewhere near a creek or lake, some sort of water. We are hoping to find a 2 bedroom house/duplex (not an apartment, something with a yard) for around $600 a month.
What are some cities you would suggest? I have looked into Beech Grove, Lawrence, Fishers, Carmel, Washington, but I have no idea where to go or how to really look into these places to get a good feel for them.
On another note, I am curious about any vegan/vegetarian restaurants or maybe a juicing bar in Indianapolis? I am not a vegetarian or vegan, but I refuse to eat any meat that was not humanely raised. I have learned so much about how animals are treated, and have cut my meat intake drastically unless it is a restaurant like Chipotle, that humanely raises their meat. I was just curious if there are any places I will be able to go out with friends, or have dinner without breaking my morals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 03:33 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,183,481 times
It's pretty unlikely you'll find a house/duplex in Carmel or Fishers with that budget. That's low for even a one bedroom apartment in those two places.

I suspect that would also be true for Lawrence Township and Washington Townships. Although there is a city of Lawrence, it usually refers to the township in Marion County. Because I was curious, I looked at a rental site in Beech Grove. One single listing there.

There are other shopping options besides Whole Foods. I don't know about a juice bar, but there are vegan options.

Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurants Indianapolis, IN, Healthy, Organic, Indiana -HappyCow

Old 02-13-2013, 07:43 AM

Thanks. I also was basing the rent off of city-data's average rent prices for the cities I looked up. Washington was the cheapest, Lawrence was the 2nd cheapest, and Beech Grove being the 3rd. All 3 of them were listed as $718 and under. Greenfield was on the list at $725 as well. Where were you looking for places? I have tried looking but again I really don't know what I'm doing haha. I have looked on Craigslist and found a company called The Cottages or something like that and I realllly like their duplexes, freakin' adorable, and affordable!

Another question I forgot to ask is where are some good places to visit? My best friend is trying to convince her husband to move here as well. He thinks Indian is all about Nascar and rednecks and nothing to do, nowhere to go (mainly because of friends talking in his ear who have never even been to Indiana, just saying what they imagine). Anyway my friend is planning a trip up there with her husband to prove it's not what he thinks it is. Any suggestions on what they should see or do?

Old 02-13-2013, 07:59 AM

4,965 posts, read 6,212,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffc View Post
Another question I forgot to ask is where are some good places to visit? My best friend is trying to convince her husband to move here as well. He thinks Indian is all about Nascar and rednecks and nothing to do, nowhere to go (mainly because of friends talking in his ear who have never even been to Indiana, just saying what they imagine). Anyway my friend is planning a trip up there with her husband to prove it's not what he thinks it is. Any suggestions on what they should see or do?
Downtown Indianapolis, just walk around, stroll Circle Centre, take in one of the free museums, either the Civil War museum in the base of the Soldiers and Sailors monument or the Indiana War museum in the basement of the Indiana War Memorial. Stroll along the canal. Possibly visit the Indiana State Museum or the Indianapolis Museum or Art, if they are in to that sort of thing, or the NCAA Hall of Champions. Depending on when they visit they could take in a Pacers game at Conseco or a Butler basketball game at Hinkle. If it's warmer weather an Indians baseball game at Victory Field. If it's not until next fall then a Colts game at Lucas Oil.

If it's warmer weather, Brown County State Park or Turkey Run or Shades State Parks will show that Indiana is much more than flat cornfields. You could also head up north to the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore on Lake Michigan.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 AM

At the previous link there are several shops mentioned. This link also has some grocery suggestions.

Indy Veg Resources « Indianapolis Vegetarian Society

You will find that most of the larger places are on the N or NE side.

The problem you'll run into is that you want a small town feel with shopping options that are typically found in bigger places. That means a drive.

I think I saw the place in Beech Grove at hotpads

Old 02-13-2013, 08:36 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,776,763 times
Carmel has a Whole Foods store, and the exciting news is that an Earth Fare is being built at 116th and Rangeline.

There is an Earth Fare in Noblesville now, and it is the best place to shop for vegans and vegetarians. I love it but it is a bit of a drive, so I am very happy that one is going up in Carmel.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
The problem you'll run into is that you want a small town feel with shopping options that are typically found in bigger places. That means a drive.
I know that's what I'm scared of!! I want to be close to Whole Foods specifically, within 20 minutes would be awesome. But I am not sure what cities I should look into. I think Carmel and Fishers are much too big for my taste.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:47 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,776,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffc View Post
I know that's what I'm scared of!! I want to be close to Whole Foods specifically, within 20 minutes would be awesome. But I am not sure what cities I should look into. I think Carmel and Fishers are much too big for my taste.

You might check into Westfield. Lots of shopping options and restaurants but Westfield has a small-town atmosphere.

Cicero is much smaller, and rents would be cheaper. Morse Lake is in Cicero.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:20 PM

I'm wondering if Whitestown might be a possibility, especially east of the town and north of Zionsville. It would be about 25 minutes to Clay Terrace (Whole Foods). Whitestown is still small, even with the Anson development to the west.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
You might check into Westfield. Lots of shopping options and restaurants but Westfield has a small-town atmosphere.

Cicero is much smaller, and rents would be cheaper. Morse Lake is in Cicero.
Awesome thanks I will look into those places!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis