Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 06:35 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,105 times

Advertisements

USOC Gauges Indy's Interest in Holding Olympics - Newsroom - Inside INdiana Business with Gerry Dick

No, no and no! All of the cities listed have 200k person workforces. Duh! Indy, Tulsa, STL, CBus, MSP and Detroit lack the minimum required hotel rooms. Each city outside of Tulsa are between 5-10k short of that 45k number. Indy and CBus lack the public transit needed to move people around adequately as everything wouldn't be downtown. A midsize area bidding on the olympics might as well declare bankruptcy now because that's where they'd be after all of the tax dollars gets funneled into hosting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 07:16 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
My guess is they just picked the 36 biggest metro areas and sent them all letters. If Indy in any way, shape, or form expresses interest in this, then it's time to pack up and move somewhere else. There is no way I could ever see Indianapolis pulling off the Olympics. We'd have to build so many hotels that many would have to close up when the Olympics left town.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:18 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
The public transportation issue alone is enough to guarantee that Indy isn't in position to make a bid.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:47 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
The public transportation issue alone is enough to guarantee that Indy isn't in position to make a bid.
this is 2024 or even 2028 Indy Connect is going to be finished by the latest 2025.
Also some of you naysayers fail to realize Indianapolis has the facilities and the manpower to host these big events. The Super Bowl? Georgia street can serve as the Olympic Village and we can Shut down downtown Indianapolis for the duration of the event.
Also the current facilities can be expanded to accomidate the crowds. Lucas Oil Stadium is a nice asset. we can expand the natatorium. The Velodrome.
Indianapolis would of course have to pony up some money to build some extra facilities and we would probably have to team up with some of the cities along lake Michigan for the water sports but i know Indy could put on a successful show if we focused on it.
As with the Super Bowl though consider all the publicity of hosting the Olympics successfully. If Indy receives the rave reviews that we did during Super Bowl 46 this event is well worth any money spent considering it has more INTERNATIONAL exposure.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:57 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
this is 2024 or even 2028 Indy Connect is going to be finished by the latest 2025.
Also some of you naysayers fail to realize Indianapolis has the facilities and the manpower to host these big events. The Super Bowl? Georgia street can serve as the Olympic Village and we can Shut down downtown Indianapolis for the duration of the event.
Also the current facilities can be expanded to accomidate the crowds. Lucas Oil Stadium is a nice asset. we can expand the natatorium. The Velodrome.
Indianapolis would of course have to pony up some money to build some extra facilities and we would probably have to team up with some of the cities along lake Michigan for the water sports but i know Indy could put on a successful show if we focused on it.
No one said Indianapolis can't host big events. I think everyone here would agree it does and does it beyond reproach. The fact remains at 34k give or take hotel rooms with a minimum of 45k requirement, that's a lot of hotel rooms to build without the occupancy rate to back it up. Indy's current occupancy rate is on the cusp of being to where it can build another signature hotel but being on the tail end of that does not equal build. Keep in mind a signature hotel is a hotel of at least 1k rooms, you'd need a good 14 of those.

Do you know what Olympic Village is? It's not Super Bowl village where people hang out. It's where the athletes stay and NO Georgia street would not suffice as OV is a requirement to be built from the ground up.

Who in their right mind would shut down business for two weeks broad? People have bills to pay. They don't stop just because of the Olympics.

IndyConnect plan has to actually make it to referendum first (which isn't a foregone conclusion as it has to make its way through the uber conservative Indiana Senate), then it has to pass referendum by the voters also not a guarantee so it is ludicrous to think expansion would be done by 2025 even though the Olympics is 2024.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:09 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Quote:
As with the Super Bowl though consider all the publicity of hosting the Olympics successfully. If Indy receives the rave reviews that we did during Super Bowl 46 this event is well worth any money spent considering it has more INTERNATIONAL exposure.
Shut down downtown? You do realize there are actual business there, right? You can't shut down downtown. I went to the Olympics in Atlanta and they certainly didn't shut down their downtown, but they also had the transit to support shuffling people into downtown. They had a lot of park and ride lots to shuttle people in from the suburbs. Indy has nothing like that. Even the Indy Connect plan doesn't include park and ride lots from what I can tell. The Olympics is like having the Super Bowl every single day for two straight weeks. In fact, from what I recall of the crowds in Atlanta, the Olympics is like having 3 Super Bowls all day every day for two straight weeks.

And why expand venues to just a one time use? It's a waste. Lucas Oil Stadium is nice but I don't think it can be used for track and field events, possibly soccer but I'm not sure it's wide enough. Nothing at IUPUI or any other college in the city could hold the crowds for track and field events. We'd have to build a brand new Olympic Stadium. Everybody out there would agree there are other cities in the US much better equipped to handle a successful Olympics than Indianapolis.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
No one said Indianapolis can't host big events. I think everyone here would agree it does and does it beyond reproach. The fact remains at 34k give or take hotel rooms with a minimum of 45k requirement, that's a lot of hotel rooms to build without the occupancy rate to back it up. Indy's current occupancy rate is on the cusp of being to where it can build another signature hotel but being on the tail end of that does not equal build. Keep in mind a signature hotel is a hotel of at least 1k rooms, you'd need a good 14 of those.

Do you know what Olympic Village is? It's not Super Bowl village where people hang out. It's where the athletes stay and NO Georgia street would not suffice as OV is a requirement to be built from the ground up.

Who in their right mind would shut down business for two weeks broad? People have bills to pay. They don't stop just because of the Olympics.

IndyConnect plan has to actually make it to referendum first (which isn't a foregone conclusion as it has to make its way through the uber conservative Indiana Senate), then it has to pass referendum by the voters also not a guarantee so it is ludicrous to think expansion would be done by 2025 even though the Olympics is 2024.
Indianapolis of course can build another 1k hotel room downtown but it says you need 45,000 hotel rooms in the metro area. not downtown.
I see a couple hundred room hotels pop up all the time when i drive through Indy. heck on the south side on I-65 theres a new Hilton Gardin INN on county line road.
Each hotel room counts and i can see Indy reaching the 45,000 hotel rooms in the metro area by 2024 or even 2028 if we happen to bid for that game instead. the best gauge of the metro area is how many hotel rooms are there within a 40-50 mile radius from Downtown Indy?

Old 02-20-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Shut down downtown? You do realize there are actual business there, right? You can't shut down downtown. I went to the Olympics in Atlanta and they certainly didn't shut down their downtown, but they also had the transit to support shuffling people into downtown. They had a lot of park and ride lots to shuttle people in from the suburbs. Indy has nothing like that. Even the Indy Connect plan doesn't include park and ride lots from what I can tell. The Olympics is like having the Super Bowl every single day for two straight weeks. In fact, from what I recall of the crowds in Atlanta, the Olympics is like having 3 Super Bowls all day every day for two straight weeks.

And why expand venues to just a one time use? It's a waste. Lucas Oil Stadium is nice but I don't think it can be used for track and field events, possibly soccer but I'm not sure it's wide enough. Nothing at IUPUI or any other college in the city could hold the crowds for track and field events. We'd have to build a brand new Olympic Stadium. Everybody out there would agree there are other cities in the US much better equipped to handle a successful Olympics than Indianapolis.
Atlanta isnt well known for its transit. hence the huge traffic problems there.
However the transit that they did use was it bus rapid transit?
Cause if needed Indy could call in transit buses from other cities for the 2 week event.
Also it was just an idea to shut down Downtown Indy but nvm you make a good point.
IUPUI has a track and field course and even though the bleachers wouldnt support the massive crowd its outdoors so its not hard to install temporarily seating for a major event like this.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:13 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:

You don't realize that Olympic Village is not the same as Super Bowl Village. Georgia St. worked well for Super Bowl but unless the athletes agree to pitch tents in the street it won't work for Olympic Village.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
You don't realize that Olympic Village is not the same as Super Bowl Village. Georgia St. worked well for Super Bowl but unless the athletes agree to pitch tents in the street it won't work for Olympic Village.
ya i realize that now. my mistake
But Downtown Indianapolis could serve as the olympic village with all the hotel rooms and condos/apartments etc.

Also i should mention since the state of Indiana and the city of Indianapolis both have balanced budgets with AAA bond ratings we should use some of that surplus of money to host an event like this. The international exposure to both the city and state will pay dividends for years to come.

The staging of the Games is an extraordinary undertaking for any city, with operating budgets in excess of $3 billion, not including costs associated with venue construction and other infrastructure. Among the many requirements are:

• 45,000 hotel rooms.

• An Olympic Village that sleeps 16,500 and has a 5000-person dining hall.

• Operations space for over 15,000 media and broadcasters.

• An international airport that can handle thousands of international travelers per day.

• Public transportation service to venues.

• Roadway closures to allow exclusive use for Games-related transportation.

• A workforce of up to 200,000.

While the Games require a formidable commitment, they also provide an unparalleled opportunity for a city to evolve and grow. The Games have had a transformative impact on a number of host cities, including Barcelona, Beijing and London. They enable the creation and implementation of a new vision and provide a powerful rallying point for progress.

From the Chicago Tribune on the letter. The bold area really caught my attention. 3 Billion dollars is alot of money but if the whole state of Indiana was helping and not just the city of Indianapolis we could get it done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis