Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 01:58 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
What do you think attracts them to Bloomington? Is that a big city?
Bloomington is a college town. When IU is in session there are about 80,000 people which includes about 40,000 students. Over the past decade or so, IU has become increasingly popular with East Coast students (most from the NY/NJ area) for many reasons, but in general they get a world class education for less than the cost of a private college. I won't bore you with all the ins and outs of the stereotypes on campus about the East Coast students. As a resident of Bloomington, I don't mind the East Coast students, but I also lived in the Chicago area for most of my life so "funny" accents and moving at a faster pace, etc. are normal to me. Just a few weeks ago I commiserated with an older couple from NY at the grocery store about foods we miss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 02:05 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
I met a few 9-11 people who fled NY/NJ to have a little less hectic of a life.

Accents ... who cares? If anything, it will be a curiosity, but nobody will hate you for it.

And yes, lots of east coast people in Bloomington. Most from the Chicago area gravitate toward Purdue. My beloved grad school advisor was a Brooklyn boy ...

Old 03-01-2013, 06:57 AM

261 posts, read 500,886 times
When I went to IU, there were a ton of people from Chicago there. Also quite a bit of people from the east coast. I think it's wonderful that the school has such a great national reputation.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:33 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
All of NY is not expensive. Much of Upstate NY has an overall cost of living around the national average and on par with many Southern areas. Taxes/tax rates can be high, but housing prices are pretty low on average. So, things can vary in comparison.
The taxes upstate are still expensive. Not as expensive as Westchester, Rockland, Nassau or Suffork.

We also looked in the Catskills area - Irvington Manor. The weather there is still not frozen cold. Pretty area but we didn't find anything. Binhampton NY - Vestal NY is also not bad.

We thought about New Hartford, outside of Utica, is a nice suburb. The schools are good and the costs are quite a bit less than downstate - but the weather around Utica is really cold.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:21 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,189 times
please don't even think about moving to Utica. That area is a vast wasteland, depressed and depressing.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:36 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,827,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
please don't even think about moving to Utica. That area is a vast wasteland, depressed and depressing.
As is 80% of upstate NY lol.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:57 AM

12 posts, read 29,155 times
In my experience, there's a lot of resentment toward NY (and the East Coast in general) in Indianapolis, mainly among the born and raised types. The derangement syndrome about the NE Patriots also borders on the ridiculous.
Just an observation -- I'm not originally from IN -- I just live here.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:50 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,057,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by es466 View Post
In my experience, there's a lot of resentment toward NY (and the East Coast in general) in Indianapolis, mainly among the born and raised types. The derangement syndrome about the NE Patriots also borders on the ridiculous.
Just an observation -- I'm not originally from IN -- I just live here.
I have not experienced any of that and I am from DC area... News Flash: Everybody hates the NE Patriots except folks from that region.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:43 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,853,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I have not experienced any of that and I am from DC area... News Flash: Everybody hates the NE Patriots except folks from that region.
Just last week I watched a segment on one of the ESPN channels about how the Patriots are the most hated team. They interviewed fans of teams from all over the country who gave reasons why they hated the Patriots.

Many people pointed out that the Patriots haven't won a Super Bowl since Spy Gate. If they can't cheat they can't win.........

Old 03-09-2013, 06:12 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I met a few 9-11 people who fled NY/NJ to have a little less hectic of a life.

Accents ... who cares? If anything, it will be a curiosity, but nobody will hate you for it.

And yes, lots of east coast people in Bloomington. Most from the Chicago area gravitate toward Purdue. My beloved grad school advisor was a Brooklyn boy ...

You are right. Many people departed the NY - NJ metro area after 9-11. I lived an hour away from NYC, but even then, everyone seemed to know someone who knew someone who was effected. Sometimes it was tragically closer to home.

My oldest now a freshman in college, was in first grade at the time. His teacher's brother was an NYC firefighter and first responder at 9-11. Sadly, he lost his life, and as a result, his teacher, who was distraught about the loss of her brother, could not finish out the school year.

My daughter is now looking at colleges, and Bloomington is one. She is also looking at Earlham and possibly Valpo - all in Indiana.

She sounds as though she is from California to me, as does my son.

I feel bad for the poster who's co-worker requested to move "because of his accent". I think that's rude.

I've heard so many accents in my life, as have my children who mostly grew up in Stony Brook NY, which houses a large research university, which; much like Bloomington; attracts students and professors from all around the world.

I think diversity is a good thing, as is tolerance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis