Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 11:11 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Just saying, St Louis will in 2015
IKEA St. Louis - IKEA

It is odd that the Chicago suburbs have 2 Ikea's, one in Schaumburg and another store (smaller) in
Bolingbrook (about 32 miles away from each other).
Well remember that Chicagoland has about 10 million people, about 160% larger than the entire state of Indiana. Also, they're tapping into populations in WI, NWI, SWMI, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 11:14 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
IKEA is nothing special IMO. Some of their stuff is nice but some stuff is poorly manufactured and only lasts a few years if that. When IKEA opened here in KC people were obsessed about it. I never really understood it. There's a regional chain out here called Nebraska Furniture Mart which is similar to IKEA but I like NFM a little better as far as furniture megacenters go.

Are there still no Cabela's/Bass Pro Shops in the metro?

Old 01-18-2015, 12:05 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
IKEA is nothing special IMO. Some of their stuff is nice but some stuff is poorly manufactured and only lasts a few years if that. When IKEA opened here in KC people were obsessed about it. I never really understood it. There's a regional chain out here called Nebraska Furniture Mart which is similar to IKEA but I like NFM a little better as far as furniture megacenters go.

Are there still no Cabela's/Bass Pro Shops in the metro?
Cabela's is going to open in Noblesville, although I understand it's to be a much smaller store than the one in Hammond.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:18 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Bass Pro Shops doesn't have that many stores and Indy is close to their 2nd largest store in Clarksville and another store in Cincy. A store like that looks at not just demographics but also unique opportunities. The C'ville location was perfect for them: they got to take over an entire 2 level mall that has closed, was in a major shopping area, 5 miles north of downtown Louisville and 1 mile from a major interstate, and in a region where fishing, hunting, and camping are huge. I'm really a fan of BPS and go there several times a month.

Cabela's is all over the map with locations. They just opened one in the far NE corner of Louisville but are also located in small cities like Wheeling WV. Their stores are half of the size of BPS but still offer a lot more than Wal Mart.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:18 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid1 View Post
Times are changing....

Costco Vice-Presidents were on-site 72 hrs ago to inspect and approve purchase of the land across the street from the East Thompson Rd. Kroger.

Final decision will be made in the weeks to follow, so of course, anything could still happen.

Wow, is this true?

I saw the work going on in that land a couple of days ago and assumed it would be an apartment complex.

A Costco would be awesome.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:03 PM

179 posts, read 356,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Why do we feel as if we have to have such stores in the Indy area?

Besides, they are considered destination stores that don't want too many in close proximity to one another. IKEA is already in suburban Cincy (peddling a bunch of cheap eurocrap, IMO), Cabela's is in Hammond, and BPS has stores in Jeffersonville and Michigan City.
ValueCity and just about every other furniture stores in Indy sells crap - cheap or otherwise, IKEA products are anything but cheap or crap, and obviously you've never owned one.

Proud IKEA fan here with BILLY bookcases and HALM dressers going back 10 years and still look/work like new. When HALM dressers were updated with metal support beams on the bottom of each drawer two years ago, I called IKEA customer service and they sent FREE metal support beams for the two dozen dressers I have at home. Now THAT is customer service and THAT is why I shop at IKEA.

IKEA will deliver to Indy (in 2 days) by the way, and it's not that expensive, well worth a trip out to Cinn. for a shopping trip.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:46 PM

8 posts, read 19,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Wow, is this true?

I saw the work going on in that land a couple of days ago and assumed it would be an apartment complex.

A Costco would be awesome.
The construction currently going on is a "Marketplace" Kroger.

Yes, I realize that Kroger is directly across the street already. I don't know what they are thinking or planning.

I am not familiar with that area, but Costco bought the land directly next to the current construction. Building/zoning permits, etc still need to be applied for with the city, but once done, Costco opens its doors typically 180 days from the time the slab is poured.

With all that being said, Costco has, in the past, walked away from land due to permit/zoning/city issues.

So anything can still happen.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:26 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,671,655 times
Columbus just landed the next IKEA I'm the region. Now Cleveland and Indy are the largest metros without one. They are building in the far north side of Columbus near the Cabelas that opened.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:18 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Outside of the extra-large metropolitan areas, IKEA generally tends to spread their locations out. The announcement of Columbus getting an IKEA seems to violate that trend since Columbus is relatively close to Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, both of which have IKEAs already. Kansas City getting an IKEA before St. Louis made sense, though, because the closest IKEAs to Kansas City were in Chicago, Minneapolis, Dallas and Denver. St. Louis is a day trip from Chicago, but Kansas City is very far from all the cities that had IKEAs before it did. It does look like Cleveland and Indianapolis will be waiting, though, because Indianapolis has IKEAs nearby in Chicago and Cincinnati, and Cleveland has IKEAs nearby in Pittsburgh and Detroit. Both cities will soon have another nearby in Columbus as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis