Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 12:08 PM

38 posts, read 57,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
you'll be fine. i just moved from chicago (the city...not the suburbs) and while i certainly sometimes stand out, i'm not at all uncomfortable. it's an exceptionally friendly city. you'll probably be more upset about how slow the drivers are than the lack of skinny jeans.
Thanks. We're excited for a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 12:13 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
hey....obesity isn't a perception or perspective issue like fashion. the citizens either are or aren't at an unhealthy weight.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...8th-worst-U-S-

and they are for sure
Agreed. My point is that even in the hippest and healthiest areas, there are still plenty of fatties. Glass houses.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:17 PM

This is getting off topic, but, FWIW, according to this, The List: The Most Obese Cities | US Obesity Rate & Skinniest Cities | LiveScience, 20.3% of L.A. area residents and 27.2% of Indy area residents are obese.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:21 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
This is getting off topic, but, FWIW, according to this, The List: The Most Obese Cities | US Obesity Rate & Skinniest Cities | LiveScience, 20.3% of L.A. area residents and 27.2% of Indy area residents are obese.
And while clearly a greater percentage of Indy residents are obese, I don't see it as enough of a difference worth bragging about.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
And while clearly a greater percentage of Indy residents are obese, I don't see it as enough of a difference worth bragging about.
Agreed.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:46 PM

622 posts, read 1,196,588 times
i guess i don't see LA as a very hipsterish city. i think of NY, Philly, Portland, Seattle, etc. as the centers for that kind of culture.

LA seems too....sunny/cheery or something to engender that kind of style. plus, the lack of public transportation and easy bike commuting makes me think a large part of the culture would be missing.

but that's just my perception. having never lived there it is entirely without basis.

on the obesity side, it's somewhat shocking coming back to the midwest from seattle, portland, denver, salt lake city, europe, etc. we are noticeably more chubby. i feel fit here. i went to spain and italy this summer and felt positively fat.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
i guess i don't see LA as a very hipsterish city. i think of NY, Philly, Portland, Seattle, etc. as the centers for that kind of culture.

LA seems too....sunny/cheery or something to engender that kind of style. plus, the lack of public transportation and easy bike commuting makes me think a large part of the culture would be missing.

but that's just my perception. having never lived there it is entirely without basis.

on the obesity side, it's somewhat shocking coming back to the midwest from seattle, portland, denver, salt lake city, europe, etc. we are noticeably more chubby. i feel fit here. i went to spain and italy this summer and felt positively fat.
LA is so huge and sprawling that there are all types of diverse communities. It sounds like you're thinking of West LA, like Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, etc. The hipster areas are mostly on the central and eastside, where there is a subway, lots of bicyclists, art galleries, small band venues, etc. Hollywood kind of splits the difference between these areas.

Not that I consider the sources for this ideal, but Silver Lake in LA was actually rated the #1 hipster neighborhood a few months ago. Hipster Neighborhoods Of US: Top 10 Hipsterhoods (PHOTOS)

The more that I read all of these silly rankings and definitions, I'm beginning to think that I may actually be a hipster.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:20 PM

interesting. thanks!

Old 04-05-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
interesting. thanks!
Sure thing. The funny thing is, Silver Lake probably isn't even considered the most hipster-y LA area, any more, although I guess it is still kind of the epicenter. Echo Park, Highland Park, Eagle Rock, Atwater Village, etc., are the more current, "hip" LA areas.

Anyways, to get back to my point, I live in the Hollywood Hills near Studio City, which is decidedly an un-hipster-y area, but all of the things on these lists are in abundance, even in my neighborhood, which is why I'm wondering if just about everyone in LA would be considered somewhat hipsterish in other places.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:08 PM

perhaps. but i think part of hipster culture is shunning cool cars, expensive fashion, and big music groups and movies. i always associated these things with LA but perhaps that's not the case anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis