Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 01:07 PM

5 posts, read 5,443 times

Advertisements

Oh my goodness. I live in ham. County and am cringing at this assumptions post. I get that your trying to contrast some areas but every single area is too ridiculous to even correct.
And accusing Zionsville being "snobby" is just snobby. The irony is claiming Plainfield is a "vinyl village" when Carmel (with a few exceptions) looks very similar. This is Indianapolis-- not New York Burroughs with distinctive building traits.. The circle city is very flat IMO and very vinyl (I agree on that). If you are a prof or not a prof and are moving here, please consider more than one "it" area... If you are considering the Indy area, I encourage you to go somewhere else... It's not terrible here but IMO there are better areas with same cost f living and jobs. Indy, I want to like (were stuck here) but its just so faux. It's not an authentic anything.
People want it to be such a sports community here and you can't force culture. The irony in Carmel's culture scene is laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 01:12 PM

I agree with your description. We have a home in winter park but when we first visited Carmel- we immediately thought of celebration fl or reunion! And not trying to be mean here-- some love that.. It just is too much of a vasad for us.. The community vibe feels vacant to us... And that's ok for some but we just don't love the Carmel feel...

Old 09-01-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagamore82 View Post
I agree ischyros. You get some of that in a lot of the burbs. Actually that sums up Westfield too. But most of those communities have some identity. Fishers has a cool little downtown area. Carmel has done a lot to their downtown area. Lot of cool restaurants and shops that aren't chains. Noblesville too. I have a good friend in Plainfield and everytime I go it's just strip after strip of new houses and chain restaurants. Maybe there is a part of Plainfield I haven't seen. But it's super close to the airport and from what I've heard has great schools. I have no beef with Plainfield. Just giving my 2 cents from what I've seen.
I disagree about fishers having a little cool downtown area? Fishers has a highway.
A charbucks. A football team (yay American sports- rolling eyes). And... Drumroll please... Subdivisions! Now these so have parks and pools and are probably great for many but there is no downtown on fishers.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
no kidding.

Look, I'm not going to pile on and I think that the OP has given an excellent homage to what his and his families experiences have been. The post was informative and I think will make families who are considering relocating to HC, feel better about their choice.

I found Fishers to be soul sucking. I just didn't fit in, my kids didn't like it. Hubby loved it, but he had the privilege of not having to live there 24-7 like I did since he worked and travelled. But, I do see where families dig living there. It's a bucolic place, like Carmel is bucolic. You can live in a nice house, a nice neighborhood, know you are safe and bank money. It's a fine place to live for some.

But don't trash Indianapolis (shut up BRG). It's not a heck hole like some want to paint it. It's quasi-urban and there are a lot of families who make Indianapolis their home and are very satisfied.

Since HC is not Indy, to the OP ... do you mind if I add "Indy AREA" to the title?
I agree with what you say except I wouldn't describe fishers as "country" I actually like country... There are a lot of hip (or so unhip you don't care) country areas that are cool because they are authentic. They exist. They are old. They have history... Fishers is not old (for the most part) it's not authentic.
It's forced. The lifestyle you can "buy" is a vasad and as a general investment tip I subscribe to is to NEVER buy a home in a neighborhood where prices are advertised on the neighborhood sign (omg tacky on a stick!) that is a classic sign of depreciation! And people tend to finance those homes! (I also don't believe in borrowing on things that depreciate).

It is a much wiser investment to purchase a $200k
Home in an area with a variety of home prices That are not advertised on the neighborhood sign and that you can put $ into and grow. If a sign says "homes at $__ k , I run!!

Old 09-02-2014, 08:51 AM

143 posts, read 236,255 times
I've lived in most areas of the Indy metro. Grew up on the east side. I've lived in Greenwood, on the west side out by Eagle Creek, Westfield, Carmel, and close to Zionsville. I recently bought a house in Irvington and am very happy there. There are other areas in the Indy metro area besides Hamilton county. Personally, I find Hamilton county to be overpriced and very bland/cookie cutter. Also the traffic sucks.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:36 AM

505 posts, read 935,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchmomofboys View Post
I agree with your description. We have a home in winter park but when we first visited Carmel- we immediately thought of celebration fl or reunion! And not trying to be mean here-- some love that.. It just is too much of a vasad for us.. The community vibe feels vacant to us... And that's ok for some but we just don't love the Carmel feel...
Quote:
I agree with what you say except I wouldn't describe fishers as "country" I actually like country... There are a lot of hip (or so unhip you don't care) country areas that are cool because they are authentic. They exist. They are old. They have history... Fishers is not old (for the most part) it's not authentic.
It's forced. The lifestyle you can "buy" is a vasad and as a general investment tip I subscribe to is to NEVER buy a home in a neighborhood where prices are advertised on the neighborhood sign (omg tacky on a stick!) that is a classic sign of depreciation! And people tend to finance those homes! (I also don't believe in borrowing on things that depreciate).

It is a much wiser investment to purchase a $200k
Home in an area with a variety of home prices That are not advertised on the neighborhood sign and that you can put $ into and grow. If a sign says "homes at $__ k , I run!!
I am not trying to be an ass, I promise. . .are you trying to say "facade" here, or is that another word that I am unfamiliar with?

Old 09-02-2014, 11:15 AM

14 posts, read 21,307 times
I wish to move to Indy but Carmel and Fishers seemed so expensive for a 3br. 1500-2000 at most I looked at.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:32 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,475,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jriddy5000son View Post
I wish to move to Indy but Carmel and Fishers seemed so expensive for a 3br. 1500-2000 at most I looked at.
What's your budget?

Old 09-02-2014, 12:38 PM

14 posts, read 21,307 times
Well obviously I do not have a job yet, but usually make 55,000+ in my field so I expect that or more... $1000 is decent and maybe a little more if possible.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:23 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,799,822 times
Quote:
You might check out Westfield. Rated best city in the state and #18 in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis