Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,797 times

Advertisements

howdy all,
I was wondering if I could get some help or some opinions on my potential move to Greensburg.

I am a correctional officer currently in a suburb of Nashville, Tennessee. I may have an opportunity to advance in my career, if I am willing to relocate. The opportunity is at a prison in Indianapolis, which I am thrilled about. I have been through Indy a handful of times on travel. While I have never had a chance to stop, it always looked like a great city. Perfect for me and my wife because we like medium sized cities that have a lot to offer, but aren't too bustling like NYC, etc..

Up until now, we had been looking at possible relocation to Cincinnati. We love the Queen City and would move there in a heartbeat if there was a career opportunity, but there is not.

After looking at the map, we discovered that we could potentially have the perfect spot in Greensburg. It is equidistant to Indianapolis and Cincy (about an hour from each) and after looking at real estate there, we discovered that you can get a lot of house for your money on a lot of land. We love the idea of living out in the country, but only being an hour away from two great cities in Indy and Cincy. Also, it seems like we will get all the Cincinnati radio stations in Greensburg, which is great because we are huge Cincinnati Reds fans.

As you can tell, sports is a big part of our lives... Reds baseball and Notre Dame football especially. Being only 3 hours from South Bend is a huge plus for us too.

We are also Catholic, and I have already researched and identified what seems like a great Catholic church (St. Mary's) which has a KofC council (I am also very involved with the KofC)..

So basically, this place seems perfect in every imaginable way.

So my questions are these:

1.) Does anybody live in Greensburg, or familiar enough with Greensburg to offer some opinions on life there?

2.) What is the commute to Indy like? I currently drive about 45 minutes from my town outside of Nashville to the prison I work at, and I don't mind that commute at all. In fact, I kind of enjoy having that 45 minutes to mentally prepare for work on the way in, or wind down on the way out. But how is traffic from Greensburg to Indy? Is it one of those commutes that should take about an hour but actually takes 90 minutes?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated as we consider this very important life change.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 11:43 PM

9 posts, read 24,302 times
The commute to Indianapolis from Greensburg should generally be very quick, and free of traffic. I-74 East is the least developed corridor entering Indy, so there are not many suburbs that way, it is more rural and industrial.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:22 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
That's one boring drive to do everyday for 2+ hours. It may state the commute is an hour, but I'd be surprised if it truly was. The traffic in general won't be bad, but when it's bad, it's bad (wrecks, weather related delays.)

Greensburg is a nice town, though. St. Mary's is a lovely parish (I have friends here in Columbus who left Greensburg and St. Mary's to live here). There's a family in my neighborhood who are Reds season ticket holders. He'll leave Columbus at 3 and see a night game and be home in time to go to work in the morning.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:57 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
I would prefer to live closer to Indy so as to shorten my work commute. From my driveway in Fishers, I can get to downtown Cincinnati in only 1:45. The signal for WLW is strong, so no problem picking up Reds games on radio. Plus, I get all Reds games on TV on my U-Verse package.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:40 AM

21 posts, read 48,138 times
My family lives in Cincy and I live in Indy. My husband and I often make the drive back for a visit and although is only 2 hours its a very boring drive. My husband worked in Greensburg for a short time after moving to Indy and the drive is only 45 minutes but he hated it. If it were me I would live and Indy and take the 2 hour drive on the weekends when I wanted to visit rather than do a 45 minute drive every day. On the south side of Indy you could still get a nice home for your money, have a short commute and highway access to get to Ohio.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:33 PM

622 posts, read 1,196,141 times
i lived in greensburg for a couple of months while waiting to relocate my family to indy. my commute to indy (10th st and n lynhurst...ish) was under 35 minutes starting at the bob evans in greensburg. it's a fairly easy drive unless you have to take 65 downtown at a bad time.

as far as radio, just download any one of the many programs that stream radio stations and that takes care of having to live within radio signal distance.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:41 AM

177 posts, read 486,824 times
Does anyone have suggestions on finding a cheap rental in Greensburg, preferably with utilities included? There's hardly anything on Craigslist. I am considering a transfer to Greensburg, but having a hard time researching housing. Thanks!

Old 12-05-2014, 05:52 PM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
i lived in greensburg for a couple of months while waiting to relocate my family to indy. my commute to indy (10th st and n lynhurst...ish) was under 35 minutes starting at the bob evans in greensburg. it's a fairly easy drive unless you have to take 65 downtown at a bad time.

as far as radio, just download any one of the many programs that stream radio stations and that takes care of having to live within radio signal distance.
West 10th Street and Lyndhurst from Greensburg in 35 minutes? I don't see how that could possibly happen. It's 59 miles one way from the 421 exit in Greensburg to that intersection via I-465 south.

Please explain.

RM

Old 12-06-2014, 12:31 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times
Default Greensburg Native Here

There is no Bob Evans in Greensburg. Shelbyville has the Bob Evans and is about 15 mins closer than Greensburg. To get from Greensburg to Indy is between 40 and 75 mins depending on what side of Indy you are going to. My advice for living in Greensburg is to live as close to interstate 74 to minimize your commute.

It took me 50 mins to get to downtown Indy and 60 mins to get to Fishers. This was when speed limit was 65mph and now it is 70 so you can shave 5mins off those times. It takes me now exactly 35mins to get from state road 3 and 74 intersection to 465.

Rentals are cheap in Greensburg wether you are looking at single family or apartment. Greensburg actually has convenience like none other I have ever seen provided you have a car. Everything is within 1 to 2 mins of state road 3 and 465 intersection.

Apart from a few business owners and main source financial execs Greensburg is a very blue collar town. It is typical small rural town but it's close proximity to Indy and Cincy gives it conveniences seldom found in towns of its size. I know a number of couples where one spouse works in Indy and the other works in Cincy.

Biggest employers in Greensburg are Valeo (950), Gecom (1000) and Honda (2300). Delta used to have 1200 when I worked there in college but they now have around 300 or so.

I have family and deep roots in Greensburg and am happy to share information with any who may have questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis