Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 08:27 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times

Advertisements

http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...-shift-suburbs

I will say on the surface, I was thinking that it was going to be just horrendous BUT it is the star so, one should always validate with them as they are just desperate at this point to sell newspapers. Pulled the actual report from Brookings, http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Mul...dianapolis.pdf. Off the cuff, obviously a 6% increase 3-10 miles out from the CBD is cause for concern. What it's not discerning is how much of that is in the city limits verses crossing over into another county. Yes, Hamilton loves to pillage its core city and I doubt anyone here would disagree that's where the majority of that shift went to.

Looking at some of the numbers from our midwestern brethren, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Not surprising sits Detroit with the largest amount of suburban jobs as compared to the city core but did find it a little suprising that STL urban core is relatively low with more jobs being 10-35 miles outside of the CBD which one would imagine Clayton taking the bulk of that. Surprisingly though MW is very close and aligned with one another. Now just have to reverse that trend and bring more jobs back into the cbd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 08:48 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Didn't Indianapolis Business Journal do this article a couple weeks ago?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

HamCo (Fishers specifically) lured my company out of Marion County a couple years ago. To paraphrase what one of our execs told us, Fishers is bending over and taking it from who ever wants to come in.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 AM

They may have done something similar but Brookings just released this today with some solid numbers behind it.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:50 PM

891 posts, read 2,450,519 times
One thing that causes Indianapolis to conitnue to just keeping building outward. In that there are no bodies of water or mountains or any geographic reasons that cause the outward move to stop. Chicago you have the lake, same with Clveland, Cincy you have the river and different state. Must cities have something that keeps it from growing in all four directions - Indy does not

Old 04-20-2013, 03:27 PM

218 posts, read 462,719 times
This isn't a good thing!

It really makes it hard for me to respect Carmel when it measures its own success by job growth--from jobs it pinches from Marion County through tax breaks. There's no integrity to that, IMO. It's one thing to lure companies from other metros, but when an upscale suburb deliberately wrings the core city it depends upon, it just comes across as cutting off one's nose to spite the face.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandandjules View Post
This isn't a good thing!

It really makes it hard for me to respect Carmel when it measures its own success by job growth--from jobs it pinches from Marion County through tax breaks. There's no integrity to that, IMO. It's one thing to lure companies from other metros, but when an upscale suburb deliberately wrings the core city it depends upon, it just comes across as cutting off one's nose to spite the face.
Cant disagree with that. Would rather see the burbs work with the city instead of poach from it.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:33 PM

21 posts, read 48,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Cant disagree with that. Would rather see the burbs work with the city instead of poach from it.
Completely agree! I do think we have begun to see a real resurgence in young people moving back to the city, which is great and I think business' will see this and stay. Many downtown rentals are at 100% capacity and grabbing a rental has become fairly competitive. We are seeing new multi-use buildings being developed which I really hope and think is a good sign
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis