Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 03:18 AM

774 posts, read 1,778,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightln View Post
Most dangerous cities would look like this somewhat

1 Detroit
2 Flint
3 Indianapolis
4 St Louis
According to
The 10 most dangerous cities in America - Slide Show - MarketWatch

1. Flint
2. Detroit
3. Oakland
4. St. Louis
5. Memphis
6. Stockton
7. Birmingham
8. New Haven
9. Baltimore
10. Cleveland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 07:50 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightln View Post
The only reason Indianapolis isn't ranked in the top 5 most dangerous cities year after year is because it's merged with Marion county.

I've been everywhere.

An I can honestly say I've never been in a worst neighborhood than East Indianapolis.

If Indianapolis wasn't merged with "Marion County"

Most dangerous cities would look like this somewhat

1 Detroit
2 Flint
3 Indianapolis
4 St Louis

There were 10,000 violent crimes last year in Indianapolis.

That's more than a 1,000 more violent crimes than Baltimore.

FBI — Table 4 - Illinois through Missouri

A few years ago Indianapolis had 12,000 violent crimes in a year, that's mind boggling.

Indianapolis has a huge crime problem.

I visited Indianapolis from Nashville, and Louisville. An Indianapolis is 10 times worst than either of those cities.
You're using disproportionate numbers to scare people, just like people do with Chicago.

Indianapolis is not completely merged with Marion County. I don't know where people get this idea. If that's true then why is Marion County's population 940,000 and Indianapolis is at 830,000?

Indianapolis has over 200,000 more residents than Baltimore does, it's not surprising that the NUMBER of violent crimes is 10% higher.

Just like any city, Indy's crime is relegated to certain areas, and most of these crimes, murders especially, have to do with the shady people who are already leading criminal lives. I'm not sure what the exact statistic in Indianapolis is, but they say in New York City over 90% of their murders were black on black. If you're not involved in crime, drugs, or any other illegal activity, chances are pretty good you won't be assaulted or killed.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:16 PM

164 posts, read 310,415 times
I never would have thought Indianapolis is more dangerous than St Louis. I'd have more fear of being robbed or mugged in St Louis than Indianapolis. But Indy does seem to have an awful lot of murders. Seems like everytime I look at the local daily Indianapolis newspaper on line it seems like at least one person has been murdered or shot, and it's not unusual that more than one person has been murdered or shot, but it almost always seems to be people who know one another, rather than strangers. I assume gang related. I never ever had any fear of being murdered in Indy or St Louis, but the fear of being robbed or mugged is definitely greater in St Louis than Indianapolis by a long shot. I don't consider Indianapolis a dangerous place, long as I stay out of certain areas, and if I do stay out of certain areas, my chances of being mugged or robbed is about zero. Just my opinion.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:31 PM

164 posts, read 310,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
According to

1. Flint
2. Detroit
3. Oakland
4. St. Louis
5. Memphis
6. Stockton
7. Birmingham
8. New Haven
9. Baltimore
10. Cleveland
Surprised New Haven is dangerous. I picture Connecticut as being pristine.

I looked at the picture of Baltimore and that place just looks dangerous. I ain't seen nothing in Indianapolis that looks that ghetto. St Louis I have.

I bet the reason Gary isn't on that list is because it no longer has over 100,000 residents. Otherwise I'd bet money it would be number 1 or 2.

Next year when they take the survey, Flint won't be number one or even make the list because most likely it's population will fall below 100,000.

An advantage of being less than 100,000 I guess, keep the towns off of lists like this.

Last edited by i35vagabond; 07-29-2013 at 05:42 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 07:43 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,599,712 times
Quote:
According to

1. Flint
2. Detroit
3. Oakland
4. St. Louis
5. Memphis
6. Stockton
7. Birmingham
8. New Haven
9. Baltimore
10. Cleveland
These lists are both unfair and misleading. You are not at a greater risk of being victimized in these cities.

Last edited by Stephen1110; 07-29-2013 at 08:02 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
These lists are both unfair and misleading. You are not at a greater risk of being victimized in these cities.
You need to elaborate when you are making such a bizarre claim.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:27 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,599,712 times
Quote:
You need to elaborate when you are making such a bizarre claim.
"Most Dangerous Cities" is a list of cities ranked by their crime rate. Crime rates attempt to reveal your chances of becoming a crime victim. However, crime rates reveal next to nothing about your individual crime risk. Instead, you have a list of cities labeled as dangerous: the higher the city places on the list, the greater your individual crime risk. This presents a problem because the list over simplifies crime data. The list fails to accurately assess your individual crime risk because it does not consider prominent variables like "geographic and demographic factors" that significantly affect your individual crime risk.

Quote:
Geographic and demographic factors specific to each jurisdiction must be considered and applied if one is going to make an accurate and complete assessment of crime in that jurisdiction.
Examples of variables
Quote:
* Modes of transportation and highway system.
* Economic conditions, including median income, poverty level, and job availability.
* Cultural factors and educational, recreational, and religious characteristics.
* Family conditions with respect to divorce and family cohesiveness.
* Climate.
FBI — Caution Against Ranking

Moreover, according to criminologist, crime rates do not acknowledge the limitations of the data, such as the difference in degree of crime reporting, geographical happenstance, the fact that each crime is weighed equally, and errors in calculations.

Quote:
Cities also differ in other ways that have nothing to do with their crime risk but can greatly affect their ranking. Pure geographic happenstance - the location of the boundary line separating "city" and "suburb" - is one. Some central cities are geographically small and do not include as many middle-class areas as do larger central cities. If they did, the added population would lower their crime rate.
Crime Ranking Misleading

An example of geographical happenstance is city boundaries. Oakland makes up 2.27% of its metro area and holds 9% of its metro population, whereas Los Angeles makes up 9.8% of its metro area and holds 31% of its metro population. Thus, Los Angeles boundaries includes more outlying areas. (or most importantly, their population). Had Oakland made up 3.24% of its metro area and held 12.6% of its metro population, its violent crime rate would decrease by -23% from 16.06 per 1,000 to 12.35 per 1,000.

Last edited by Stephen1110; 07-30-2013 at 03:09 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 11:38 AM

Why don't you compile your own ranking if you think you can build a better statistical model.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:01 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
You're using disproportionate numbers to scare people, just like people do with Chicago.

Indianapolis is not completely merged with Marion County. I don't know where people get this idea. If that's true then why is Marion County's population 940,000 and Indianapolis is at 830,000?

Indianapolis has over 200,000 more residents than Baltimore does, it's not surprising that the NUMBER of violent crimes is 10% higher.

Just like any city, Indy's crime is relegated to certain areas, and most of these crimes, murders especially, have to do with the shady people who are already leading criminal lives. I'm not sure what the exact statistic in Indianapolis is, but they say in New York City over 90% of their murders were black on black. If you're not involved in crime, drugs, or any other illegal activity, chances are pretty good you won't be assaulted or killed.
I'm not sure what this particular so-called "statistic" has to do with this discussion or how true it is.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:30 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I'm not sure what this particular so-called "statistic" has to do with this discussion or how true it is.
I'm saying that most of these violent crimes happening in major cities are black on black crimes that are usually drug or gang related. If you aren't affiliated with drugs, gangs, or any other criminal activity, then chances are OVERWHELMINGLY low that you will ever be murdered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis