Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 01:32 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,395 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

What Indianapolis with two *cough*. Didn't know you took your life into your hands when going the Childrens Museum. Oh wait you don't. I've been in my fair share of hoods including the top 4 and by no means should any Indianapolis hood make this list. In all honesty, Gary has average hoods worse than anything Indianapolis can throw at it.

Last edited by Yac; 05-21-2013 at 07:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 01:39 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Interesting. I wouldn't have thought of those 2 hoods as the worst in Indy, let alone the country.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:41 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,149,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Interesting. I wouldn't have thought of those 2 hoods as the worst in Indy, let alone the country.
By all accounts, the meadows and haughville are worse than those two areas. For anyone who's ever been to say 3rd Ward New Orleans or certain hoods in Baltimore, would take this as a grain of salt.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:35 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
The 17th most dangerous neighborhood in the country houses the largest Children's Museum in the country? I see the statistics, and the surrounding area isn't the best, but I haven't felt unsafe there. They may want to take a few other statistics into consideration when making this type of list.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:20 PM

3,405 posts, read 3,449,324 times
I have lived in flint michigan and it is way way way worse than 19th both those indy areas are much safer especally the childrens museum area.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:03 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
I wonder aloud if the stats on the area by the Children's Museum are skewed by the relatively low population of the area, since that is a criteria used in the rankings if I read that correctly. You have Meridian Park there, and then, a Museum, school, a lot of abandoned houses with a lot of people passing through. I have heard that area between 34th and 38th Streets west of Meridian described as a war zone at times, so I guess its not that shocking to see an adjacent area as a statistically dangerous area.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:15 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
If you park in the garage at the children's museum, you don't have to set foot outside ...

that's just one odd list ... no NYC neighborhoods? No LA neighborhoods?

Old 05-04-2013, 05:15 PM

218 posts, read 462,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I wonder aloud if the stats on the area by the Children's Museum are skewed by the relatively low population of the area, since that is a criteria used in the rankings if I read that correctly. You have Meridian Park there, and then, a Museum, school, a lot of abandoned houses with a lot of people passing through. I have heard that area between 34th and 38th Streets west of Meridian described as a war zone at times, so I guess its not that shocking to see an adjacent area as a statistically dangerous area.
I thought that area was weird too. It must be due to the problems on the west side of Meridian, because the east side these days is pretty darn nice.

I also noticed that the website said that the neighborhood had more same-sex couples than 99% of neighborhoods, or something like that. This description completely gels with the east side of Meridian--but not the west side.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:14 PM

42 posts, read 167,698 times
I live in crown hill. Certain streets bring the whole neighborhood down. Kenwood between 30th and 38th is absolutely insane. Though with all rough neighborhoods most of the violent crime isn't against random people but against other thugs. I'm as white as they come and I don't feel in danger at all coming home at 3 am. But at the same time you need to be alert. Like with most area's of the city keep your head on a swivel if you are alone after dark. I have seen my share of violence over here though. The guy across the street from me was murdered in September, and just a couple weeks ago some kids were shooting dice behind the house next to me when another guy came up and robbed them all at gunpoint. I was doing dishes and looking right out my window at them. Second time in 2 years I have seen a dice game get robbed. I hate seeing these things and wish there were answer's to these types of social problems.

Bertranandjules: I don't know the actual statistics on this neighborhood but I know on Illinois st on my block there are 4 same sex couples within a few houses of me.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:07 AM

2 posts, read 17,523 times
The only reason Indianapolis isn't ranked in the top 5 most dangerous cities year after year is because it's merged with Marion county.

I've been everywhere.

An I can honestly say I've never been in a worst neighborhood than East Indianapolis.

If Indianapolis wasn't merged with "Marion County"

Most dangerous cities would look like this somewhat

1 Detroit
2 Flint
3 Indianapolis
4 St Louis

There were 10,000 violent crimes last year in Indianapolis.

That's more than a 1,000 more violent crimes than Baltimore.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...souri_2012.xls

A few years ago Indianapolis had 12,000 violent crimes in a year, that's mind boggling.

Indianapolis has a huge crime problem.

I visited Indianapolis from Nashville, and Louisville. An Indianapolis is 10 times worst than either of those cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis