Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 10:25 AM

3 posts, read 6,251 times

Advertisements

Hello Every one,

I have been transferred to the Carmel area from London for work. My question is should i be concern about my kids going to Westfield Middle and High schools? A quick search on the schools shows minority enrollment of 14%. I hope they will be fine but concern about Black kids with British accent in a predominantly white Schools. Please advice. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 12:12 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Other than comments about "funny accents," about what are you concerned?

Old 05-28-2013, 01:44 PM

fear of the unknown really.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:02 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
What unknown? I haven't verified your numbers, and I'd imagine the percentage of black students in Westfield-Washington schools is less than the U.S. population percentage, but blacks in the metro area are generally overrepresented when compared to the national population. In other words, other than speaking with a British accent, they won't be all that unique.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:12 PM

Thanks. I guess am just being a concerned parent but rather with no apparent reason. Thanks again for your input. Really appreciate it.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:54 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,478,655 times
It is a high income area with a somewhat diverse population. They most likely will succeed if they have a sense of their own identity and sense of humor. I suspect their accent will bring kids to them and their interests will keep them going.

In other words, I think they will be fine.

Hey, here we even have a British TV club and there are many who find the culture and accent wonderful and interesting.

I think the change from London to Westfield will be harder on the Mom. One couple from the UK spent a lot of time making photo scrapbooks with their boys to documents the time spent in the US. It was a long time ago but one of the boys is now a doctor so their time here did not hurt them at all. Probably broadened their outlook and education.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:04 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,926 times
I get what he's talking about when he says that he has concerns. Kids from Westfield are probably more likely to ask things like, "Why don't you guys act black?" Maybe pressuring them into doing things that black kids are "supposed to do." From a mixed black person to another black person, I would recommend going to Carmel instead. People in Carmel seem to have more open minds and seem to be more open to diversity (I'm halfway expecting to get railed on for that, but I know it's true). Carmel is probably Indianapolis' most "progressive" suburb. I went there for part of High School and never had any questions asked about my race or why I don't act a certain way. Compare that to my other school in Indiana where I was asked questions like that on a weekly basis. Plus, the school is so large that they're bound to find friends that they fit in with.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:24 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
I love British black kids. They're not *usually* into all that ghetto American black lifestyle. More well-dressed and well-mannered.

I'm sure your kids will be just fine. Everyone loves a British accent that I know.

Then again, my opinion is probably worth nothing since I've never lived in or been to Indiana.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:39 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
I think your kids will be fine.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:58 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,911,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I love British black kids. They're not *usually* into all that ghetto American black lifestyle. More well-dressed and well-mannered.

I'm sure your kids will be just fine. Everyone loves a British accent that I know.

Then again, my opinion is probably worth nothing since I've never lived in or been to Indiana.
Sounds like you know even less about an American black lifestyle but couldn't resist the opportunity to diss it in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis