Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 07:56 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
You should totally come out here again. Speaking of light rail, we opened our first line in Seattle in '09 and it's doing quite well. More expansion in the works for 2016 and 2020 to connect with more suburbs.

I'd be curious to see what you think. Seattle is somewhat unique in a sense that it's not a huge city by any means but has a very dense and lively city core with plenty of walkable neighborhoods bustling with pedestrian traffic. Also, a very green city with plenty of water, bike trails and awesome surrounding nature.

Not sure how much longer I'll be here though. I love Seattle but family circumstances as well as a wanting for change are pushing me towards the East coast. We'll see
I hear some of the locals there were disappointed when the proposal that would have expanded the monorail system died. However, the lightrail will do great for Seattle. Also having Mount Ranier in the back drop for a view is a big plus for scenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 11:19 AM

750 posts, read 1,064,690 times
Quote:
Seattle is somewhat unique in a sense that it's not a huge city by any means but has a very dense and lively city core with plenty of walkable neighborhoods bustling with pedestrian traffic. Also, a very green city with plenty of water, bike trails and awesome surrounding nature.
That is the type of outdoors I was talking about, no place in the lower Midwest compare. I would not say MN, WI and MI have quality outdoors at the same level of Seattle, but they certainly have a lot more to offer in terms of outdoor options than IN. For the most part, this is to blame in the mundane geography of central IN, but IMO Indy lacks the green attitude to promote active and healthy living. Minneapolis for instance invests heavily in their parks and nature preserves, their green areas are plentiful and beautiful.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:06 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
That is the type of outdoors I was talking about, no place in the lower Midwest compare. I would not say MN, WI and MI have quality outdoors at the same level of Seattle, but they certainly have a lot more to offer in terms of outdoor options than IN. For the most part, this is to blame in the mundane geography of central IN, but IMO Indy lacks the green attitude to promote active and healthy living. Minneapolis for instance invests heavily in their parks and nature preserves, their green areas are plentiful and beautiful.
Active and healthy living is not the governments job. If you want to be active you will, if you don't you won't, it's that simple. Plenty of outdoor activities in central Indiana. Eagle Creek (which is one of the largest parks (31st largest urban park in the world, 15th US), White River parkway, Monon, the other regional parks (Southeastway, Southwestway, Sahm and Riverside, Garfield). These are your largest parks and then you hit the next tier such as Northwestway, Perry and Holiday. You have the Cultural trail, the Canal literally from downtown to Broad Ripple, 100 acres and the remaining IMA grounds and Fort Harrison State Park and that's just Marion County. Once you get out into the donut counties, you'll get into parks like Connor Prairie and of course Brown County state park (if you claim you can't get fit there, then you are literally just blowing smoke up everyone's butt). Just because YOU didn't do them by not knowing or choosing not to, doesn't mean they don't exist. They exist, you just don't do them. Either way, wanting the government to dictate how "healthy" people should be is not a smart idea.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:24 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,139 times
I don't think anyone said anything about the government "dictating" how healthy we should be, but of course they should promote healthiness. I agree that Indianapolis doesn't have a great park system overall. Downtown does pretty well and so does much of the Northside, but the rest is pretty dismal.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:34 PM

750 posts, read 1,064,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Active and healthy living is not the governments job. If you want to be active you will, if you don't you won't, it's that simple. Plenty of outdoor activities in central Indiana. Eagle Creek (which is one of the largest parks (31st largest urban park in the world, 15th US), White River parkway, Monon, the other regional parks (Southeastway, Southwestway, Sahm and Riverside, Garfield). These are your largest parks and then you hit the next tier such as Northwestway, Perry and Holiday. You have the Cultural trail, the Canal literally from downtown to Broad Ripple, 100 acres and the remaining IMA grounds and Fort Harrison State Park and that's just Marion County. Once you get out into the donut counties, you'll get into parks like Connor Prairie and of course Brown County state park (if you claim you can't get fit there, then you are literally just blowing smoke up everyone's butt). Just because YOU didn't do them by not knowing or choosing not to, doesn't mean they don't exist. They exist, you just don't do them. Either way, wanting the government to dictate how "healthy" people should be is not a smart idea.
Sorry but you complete missed the point. I never said active and healthy living is the government responsibility. What I meant was that families like mine who like to spend most of our leisure time out camping, kayaking, walking trails, mountain biking, enjoying a real nature reserve or commuting safely by riding a bicycle (summer) or skiing, sledding, ice skating or just playing in the snow (winter) cannot stand IN. The options you mentioned in Indy are pretty much all we have here and they are far from sufficient to my taste. Boring!

Old 06-24-2013, 05:42 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I don't think anyone said anything about the government "dictating" how healthy we should be, but of course they should promote healthiness. I agree that Indianapolis doesn't have a great park system overall. Downtown does pretty well and so does much of the Northside, but the rest is pretty dismal.
How many here go to the southside parks? The best ns park outside of eagle creek is probably holiday and seway and swway blows it away. Eagle creek offers way to much to have any real competition from cross country skiing to shooting ranges but very few parks offer as much and not just indiana parks.

As far as the state, its function is suppose to be neutral regardless of the makep of its citizens. What constitutes healthy? Should every woman strive to be a size 2 or size 8? Health is highly subjective to the person judging it. For example, i find size 2 women to be unattractive since there is nothing there but skin and bone. No curves which should never be the casr.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:25 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Yup, thanks, that's what I was talking about. Like Louisville's version of Broadripple but not nearly as good of nightlife (when I lived there, at least)
Louisville is a COMPLETELY different city than 10 years ago. I mean completely. Not even close. The nightlife has grown 10 times and it is now probably the top restaurant city in the SE after New Orleans, Miami, and perhaps Charleston (yes take that Atlanta, Dallas and the likes).

Louisville has so many urban neighborhoods that have grown up since you lived there you have no idea.

Louisville's Bardstown (Highlands) smaller than Broad Ripple? Are you serious here? That was never the case and never will be. The Highlands trumps BroadRipple in size, number of stores, diversity of residents, and superior parks and architecture. It really isn't even close. Get back to Louisville, open your eyes, and you will see one of America's most up and coming cities.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:35 PM

918 posts, read 1,696,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisville is a COMPLETELY different city than 10 years ago. I mean completely. Not even close. The nightlife has grown 10 times and it is now probably the top restaurant city in the SE after New Orleans, Miami, and perhaps Charleston (yes take that Atlanta, Dallas and the likes).

Louisville has so many urban neighborhoods that have grown up since you lived there you have no idea.
Cool. I'll have to take your word for it.

Quote:
Louisville's Bardstown (Highlands) smaller than Broad Ripple? Are you serious here? That was never the case and never will be. The Highlands trumps BroadRipple in size, number of stores, diversity of residents, and superior parks and architecture. It really isn't even close. Get back to Louisville, open your eyes, and you will see one of America's most up and coming cities.
Since I never stated that Bardstown was smaller than Broadripple, I have to wonder who you're debating here.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:31 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,411,945 times
Quote:
Active and healthy living is not the governments job.
I'm sorry, but this is completely wrong. Active and healthy people, all else equal, are more productive workers that cost public services less. Health initiatives improve the quality of life in a region. Fiscal responsibility, economic productivity, and quality of life issues are all core functions of government. This is why physical fitness initiatives are widely embraced by conservatives and liberals alike at the local, state, and national levels in this country.

Quote:
If you want to be active you will, if you don't you won't, it's that simple. Plenty of outdoor activities in central Indiana. Eagle Creek (which is one of the largest parks (31st largest urban park in the world, 15th US), White River parkway, Monon, the other regional parks (Southeastway, Southwestway, Sahm and Riverside, Garfield). These are your largest parks and then you hit the next tier such as Northwestway, Perry and Holiday. You have the Cultural trail, the Canal literally from downtown to Broad Ripple, 100 acres and the remaining IMA grounds and Fort Harrison State Park and that's just Marion County. Once you get out into the donut counties, you'll get into parks like Connor Prairie and of course Brown County state park (if you claim you can't get fit there, then you are literally just blowing smoke up everyone's butt). Just because YOU didn't do them by not knowing or choosing not to, doesn't mean they don't exist. They exist, you just don't do them. Either way, wanting the government to dictate how "healthy" people should be is not a smart idea.
No one is stating that Indianapolis hasn't made tremendous strides in the region's offering of health and fitness amenities. I also don't think anyone is suggesting that we mandate physical fitness for the region's residents. The issue is that the majority of people in the metro rely upon the use of a car to arrive at the venues you mention. Marion county ranks very poorly in terms of park amenities and acreage of parks when compared to markets with similar levels of sprawl. Land - Indianapolis Parks Foundation

Indy ranks 47th (tied) among the 50 largest cities in the country when looking at percent of land used for parks and park expenditures: ParkScore

So while you may think the parks and greenspaces in Indianapolis are sufficient, the numbers don't really bear that out.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:42 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
I'm sorry, but this is completely wrong. Active and healthy people, all else equal, are more productive workers that cost public services less. Health initiatives improve the quality of life in a region. Fiscal responsibility, economic productivity, and quality of life issues are all core functions of government. This is why physical fitness initiatives are widely embraced by conservatives and liberals alike at the local, state, and national levels in this country.

No one is stating that Indianapolis hasn't made tremendous strides in the region's offering of health and fitness amenities. I also don't think anyone is suggesting that we mandate physical fitness for the region's residents. The issue is that the majority of people in the metro rely upon the use of a car to arrive at the venues you mention. Marion county ranks very poorly in terms of park amenities and acreage of parks when compared to markets with similar levels of sprawl. Land - Indianapolis Parks Foundation

Indy ranks 47th (tied) among the 50 largest cities in the country when looking at percent of land used for parks and park expenditures: ParkScore

So while you may think the parks and greenspaces in Indianapolis are sufficient, the numbers don't really bear that out.
msamhunter is right though. It's ultimately the individual's responsibility for being healthy. Rather Indy ranks #47 or #1 for parks had no baring when I lost 122 lbs.. If I was using that as an excuse not to exercise then it would have never happened. You also have gyms but not everyone is going to go to them let alone parks if they don't want to exercise. I use to use the excuse when I first moved up here back in the 90's that there weren't enough sidewalks. It was by my choice that I decided to make that happen simply by getting my butt to a gym and changing what I ate. Now when I was in the military you had be in shape because that's what I signed up to do and it was a requirement. It was not only my choice to do it but personal responsibility to make it happen. However, in the civilian world not everyone wants that type of lifestyle. Here's another point. I lost another 50 lbs as a truck driver spending more time on the road than the average Joe in a car. It wasn't a result from having enough parks or a government pamphlet. Now how did I do that? I did it because I "wanted" to. If the desire wasn't there the 122 lbs lost would not have happen. I lived all over the country (and outside) to know this regardless of how many parks are available out there. Losing weight and staying active requires nutritional research, knowing your body, proper exercise techniques and most importantly the will to do it. I know what it takes to lose 100 lbs because I've done it before and am doing it again. (another 45 to go) I'm actual living proof of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis