U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 08:56 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,333,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
The last time I went I stayed at the Hilton on American Blvd. It was a hike from the light rail station, but they've but in a new station close to this hotel since I was there at American Blvd and 34th Ave. The hotel was a bit pricy, but the rooms were large with windows that were somewhat bayed out. And you could have a view of the wildlife preserve across the street (which makes for a nice hike) or St Paul or Minneapolis in the distance. It's right off I-495 by the Mall of America and there are several other hotels in that area, too.
I will look into it thanks, ischyros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 10:28 PM

4,318 posts, read 4,817,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
I will look into it thanks, ischyros.
You got me wanting to take another trip up there now, too. I haven't been in 8 or 9 years.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:23 AM

219 posts, read 397,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post

Indianapolis is definitely the largest in square miles, at roughly 370 squre miles it's larger than Minneapolis and Louisville combined. Its downtown core is rather urban, but beyond downtown Indy feels like a midsized town, nothing truly unique about the city. It's a very generic city, Louisville and Minneapolis have more unique values and trendy neighborhoods.

Louisville annexed its suburbs several years ago and merged with Jefferson County, taking a cue from Indy's UNIGOV implemented over 40 years ago. These days it's huge (almost 400 sq mi--bigger than Indy) and very low density.

But I forgot: this is really still just another swipe at Indy for not having "unique values" (whatever the heck that means). Because we know neither Louisville or Minneapolis have any generic suburban areas, and we KNOW that Indianapolis has no trendy neighborhoods whatsoever. Right.

So facts really don't need to get in the way of a good polemic. Gotcha.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:38 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,333,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
You got me wanting to take another trip up there now, too. I haven't been in 8 or 9 years.
The last time I was there was around 2007. I can't wait to get back up there.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:23 AM

5,774 posts, read 9,273,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
I assumed you could read, at least your spelling was correct. Never said you had to conform, I asked a question, and Columbus wasn't part of it, guess it's just as simple as that. I was asking between the other two cities. At least indy18 "conformed" a bit.
I've lived in Minneapolis and also Indianapolis. Very little in common. The Twin Cities has a significant Swedish and Norwegian population that when combined is close to equal to the people of German decent in the region. Climate is completely different too. As someone else pointed out the Twin Cities is heavily corporatized in terms of HQ's while Indy seems to be more of a regional HQ's for national companies. Indy seems to be playing catch up in the neighborhood department though now that many people are moving into urban areas and are rebuilding houses and opening businesses. Those issues aside I like both areas and they are in my top five favorite metro areas in the Midwest.

If you desire and like conformity try moving to Kansas City. The people there love it and embrace it and hate anyone that won't goose step for them. Both the Twin Cities and Indy seem less conformist than other Midwestern cities where I've lived and also visited. This means you have more of an acceptance factor being an outsider at least as far as people from the local area not harassing you if you decide to live and work there. I had almost no trouble with the people when I lived in Indy and mostly minor issues in the Twin Cities (work related due to the union mentality I was working in). Outside of work rarely had any problems or if I was working in a company that did not support the union mentality in its employees.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:31 AM

323 posts, read 434,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
Columbus wasn't part of the discussion. Louisville and Minneapolis were, that's why they were asked about.
lol. And it became part of the discussion when the poster introduced it.

You started the thread; you are the official OP. You are not the DP (discussion police).

Old 07-16-2013, 08:43 AM

6,517 posts, read 9,375,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakimono View Post
lol. And it became part of the discussion when the poster introduced it.

You started the thread; you are the official OP. You are not the DP (discussion police).
Just trying to stay on topic.

If someone wanted we could introduce a whole host of other cities that are completely unrelated to the three cities that we are here to discuss in this thread, so yeah, we should stay on topic.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:49 AM

5,774 posts, read 9,273,696 times
^^^ That being the case perhaps the best place to put this subject is the City vs. City section.

Someone simply offered an alternative to the choices given since he did not think that either Louisville or Minneapolis even resembled Indy. He instead offered up a suggestion that he thought would be a closer match. So, I doubt that is what you could consider as being that off topic.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:29 PM

213 posts, read 256,379 times
Indianapolis and Minneapolis are Midwestern. Louisville is Southern. Completely different from Indianapolis in terms of dialect, culture, and demographics. Minneapolis, somewhat different but not culturally or demographically like Louisville. It seems the poster doesn't like the idea of what is considered Midwestern and thus is trying to break it up, even going so far as to include Southern cities into the fold. Ridiculous. And more ridiculous are the amount of users that have fallen for his views.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:00 AM

261 posts, read 439,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlst View Post
Indianapolis and Minneapolis are Midwestern. Louisville is Southern. Completely different from Indianapolis in terms of dialect, culture, and demographics. Minneapolis, somewhat different but not culturally or demographically like Louisville. It seems the poster doesn't like the idea of what is considered Midwestern and thus is trying to break it up, even going so far as to include Southern cities into the fold. Ridiculous. And more ridiculous are the amount of users that have fallen for his views.

Indy and Louisville are extremely similar. I've lived in both. The people are about the same, as is the pace of the two cities. It's hard to have much difference when all that separates them is 100 miles of Indiana cornfield. Sure there are plenty of differences which make each city unique, but they each feel like the same type of city.

Louisville feels far more Midwestern than South. Places like Birmingham, Atlanta, and Charlotte are the South. Louisville has way more in common with its nearby Midwestern neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis