U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 11:45 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,462,138 times

Advertisements

Louisville and Cincinnati have more in common than Louisville and Indianapolis. Until now I've never heard anyone remotely suggest that Louisville and Indianapolis were sister cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Yikes, this thread has become nasty and personal! Where's the moderator?
Stop being messy.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:44 PM

20 posts, read 50,198 times
Default Indianapolis crime rate jumps to 30-year high in 2012

Indianapolis crime rate jumps to 30-year high in 2012

Posted: Jun 05, 2013 5:23 PM EDT
Updated: Jun 05, 2013 5:24 PM EDT
By Richard Essex - bio | email

Gary Thrapp was the victim of a shooting last September.

Headlines
Indianapolis police investigating death of 18-month-old
Police investigating death of window washer
Law allowing expungement creating legal confusion
Qualifying for Crown Royal Brickyard 400 Saturday
I-65 accident scatters produce for half mile
Concrete pieces fall onto sidewalk from downtown building
Happy Birthday Flat Chuck
"Boring" project to make waterways cleaner
Cost of technology threatens drive-in theaters
New IMS security plan gets test at Super Weekend

INDIANAPOLIS -
Violent crime in Indianapolis has jumped to its highest rate in nearly 30 years.

In 2011, police reported more than 9,100 violent crimes in the city. That number jumped to more than 9,900 last year.

The violent crime rate had been going down steadily for a number of years, but that trend has turned around.

It has not quite been a year since Gary Thrapp was attacked. His scars are still healing and his sense of awareness is on high alert.

"A lot of people asking me, they are most curious about 'What does it feel like to be shot?'," said Thrapp.

Like it or not, in September of last year, Thrapp became a statistic. The prominent north side jeweler was robbed at gunpoint and shot in his home. The attempt on his life and robbery make him a victim of one of the 9,900 violent crimes committed in Indianapolis.

For six minutes, Thrapp fought the intruders.

"Their leaving was hastened by me being shot, because they brought zip ties, they zip-tied my wife's arms behind her back," he said.

About a month later, Thrapp was back at work. By the end of 2012, Indianapolis had become a more violent place than the year before, with 700 more violent crimes, which included 101 murders, 436 rapes, 3,442 more robberies than the year before.

"Clearly, I think people need to be...to take more responsibility for their own safety. The police just can't do it and we can't rely on them nor blame them for what we should be doing for ourselves," Thrapp said.

It seems some people are taking their safety and security serious. So far this year, 268,000 federal firearm background checks have been done in Indiana, which is on pace to be a record year.

Indianapolis Metro Police are not surprised by the FBI numbers, considering they gave the feds the numbers. Police say that violent crime numbers had been dropping for years.

IMPD Lt. Chris Bailey says in 2011 they had a lower than normal crime rate and comparing those numbers to an average year like 2012 is not really reflective of the overall crime trend in Marion County.

This year, the department is concerned about the criminal homicide rate, which is up 48 percent from year-to-date 2012.

Metro police say they are concerned about the number of assaults and homicides and have been working on a community-wide plan to bring them down

Old 07-27-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladd1361 View Post
Indianapolis crime rate jumps to 30-year high in 2012

Posted: Jun 05, 2013 5:23 PM EDT
Updated: Jun 05, 2013 5:24 PM EDT
By Richard Essex - bio | email

Headlines
Indianapolis police investigating death of 18-month-old
Police investigating death of window washer
Law allowing expungement creating legal confusion
Qualifying for Crown Royal Brickyard 400 Saturday
I-65 accident scatters produce for half mile
Concrete pieces fall onto sidewalk from downtown building
Happy Birthday Flat Chuck
"Boring" project to make waterways cleaner
Cost of technology threatens drive-in theaters
New IMS security plan gets test at Super Weekend

INDIANAPOLIS -
Violent crime in Indianapolis has jumped to its highest rate in nearly 30 years.

In 2011, police reported more than 9,100 violent crimes in the city. That number jumped to more than 9,900 last year.

The violent crime rate had been going down steadily for a number of years, but that trend has turned around.

It has not quite been a year since Gary Thrapp was attacked. His scars are still healing and his sense of awareness is on high alert.

"A lot of people asking me, they are most curious about 'What does it feel like to be shot?'," said Thrapp.

Like it or not, in September of last year, Thrapp became a statistic. The prominent north side jeweler was robbed at gunpoint and shot in his home. The attempt on his life and robbery make him a victim of one of the 9,900 violent crimes committed in Indianapolis.

For six minutes, Thrapp fought the intruders.

"Their leaving was hastened by me being shot, because they brought zip ties, they zip-tied my wife's arms behind her back," he said.

About a month later, Thrapp was back at work. By the end of 2012, Indianapolis had become a more violent place than the year before, with 700 more violent crimes, which included 101 murders, 436 rapes, 3,442 more robberies than the year before.

"Clearly, I think people need to be...to take more responsibility for their own safety. The police just can't do it and we can't rely on them nor blame them for what we should be doing for ourselves," Thrapp said.

It seems some people are taking their safety and security serious. So far this year, 268,000 federal firearm background checks have been done in Indiana, which is on pace to be a record year.

Indianapolis Metro Police are not surprised by the FBI numbers, considering they gave the feds the numbers. Police say that violent crime numbers had been dropping for years.

IMPD Lt. Chris Bailey says in 2011 they had a lower than normal crime rate and comparing those numbers to an average year like 2012 is not really reflective of the overall crime trend in Marion County.

This year, the department is concerned about the criminal homicide rate, which is up 48 percent from year-to-date 2012.

Metro police say they are concerned about the number of assaults and homicides and have been working on a community-wide plan to bring them down
How many times are you going post this?

Old 07-28-2013, 04:05 AM

20 posts, read 50,198 times
Default sorry done posting but still got no answers.

sorry done posting but still got no answers. O well no sweat off my back if nobody answers.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:00 AM

4,336 posts, read 4,836,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladd1361 View Post
sorry done posting but still got no answers. O well no sweat off my back if nobody answers.
You got answers in the thread you created you just don't like them.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:47 AM

6,772 posts, read 14,133,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy18 View Post
I'm not just talking about high-end restaurants you hyper wound-up fool. I'm talking about a variety of moderately priced ethnic restaurants that can be found all over either city. These are the types of things you know when you've lived in both cities like I have.

If you go back to post 140, you will see that I initially gave a very polite and cordial response to you. You are certainly free to your opinion and I don't really care if you agree with me or not, but it's a shame that you had to respond like a delusional ranting lunatic. I tried to debate this with class and respect like a normal person. Too bad you couldn't.

But I guess that you've resulted to whinny name calling to divert attention from your weak and factually incorrect arguments. For example, let's look at your incorrect assertion that Indy is "heavily Catholic" in comparison to Louisville. As of 2006, the Indy metro area had 232,273 Catholics, which represented 9.6% of the metro population. The Louisville metro area had 196,858 Catholics, which represented 16.6% of the population. So as the unarguable statistics show, Louisville actually has a greater percentage of Catholics than Indy. I'm certainly glad that I didn't believe your foolish ramblings. So much for Indy being "heavily Catholic" in comparison to Louisville.

Source: The Official Catholic Directory, 2006

Scroll down about 2/3 of the way where it lists the stats of the 176 largest metro areas. Read it and weep, chump:

AskACatholic.com - 2006 Catholic Population in the USA

Got any other weak arguments that I can shred with facts and experience from living in these two cities?
Louisville is actually SUBSTANTIALLY more Catholic than Indy. The poster above has no idea what they are talking about. Historically, Louisville is over 1/3 Catholic. Louisville has more Catholic schools and high schools than any city its size in America outside New Orleans. Louisville cannot be pigeoned holed into south or north. Why? Because it squarely fits in neither category. It makes these arguments fun but I would say Louisville is Midwest with a very strong southern undertone and influence that is pervasive.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:53 PM

6,521 posts, read 9,406,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisville is actually SUBSTANTIALLY more Catholic than Indy. The poster above has no idea what they are talking about. Historically, Louisville is over 1/3 Catholic. Louisville has more Catholic schools and high schools than any city its size in America outside New Orleans. Louisville cannot be pigeoned holed into south or north. Why? Because it squarely fits in neither category. It makes these arguments fun but I would say Louisville is Midwest with a very strong southern undertone and influence that is pervasive.
I agree with this. ^

Louisville is not completely a southern city just because it lies below the mason dixon line, just because it has a lot of tennessee and rural kentucky transplants, just because people have a slight southern accent.

And the whole argument on Louisville has a lot of southern baptists? Well, that's partially true. 29% of church goers in Louisville are southern baptists, but a whopping 41% are Catholic.

In TRUE southern cities, like Birmingham, Mobile, Atlanta, Nashville, Memphis, the southern baptists will make up well over 50% of the church going population.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:21 AM

1,765 posts, read 3,120,186 times
I feel like you guys are arguing the opposite of what most people in this area probably believe. I would say that Louisville is a Southern city with a strong Midwestern undertone. I know it's a minor detail, but it really is a stretch to call Louisville the Midwest.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:37 AM

104 posts, read 223,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I agree with this. ^

Louisville is not completely a southern city just because it lies below the mason dixon line, just because it has a lot of tennessee and rural kentucky transplants, just because people have a slight southern accent.

And the whole argument on Louisville has a lot of southern baptists? Well, that's partially true. 29% of church goers in Louisville are southern baptists, but a whopping 41% are Catholic.

In TRUE southern cities, like Birmingham, Mobile, Atlanta, Nashville, Memphis, the southern baptists will make up well over 50% of the church going population.
Out of curiosity, where are you getting your numbers? I'm checking Religious Congregations & Membership Study, and it looks like none of those cities would count as Southern by your definition. (Baptist percentages: Birmingham 42%, Mobile 36%, Atlanta 28%, Nashville 32%, Memphis 30%, Louisville 28%, Catholic: Birmingham 8%, Mobile 13%, Atlanta 15%, Nashville 8%, Memphis 9%, Louisville 26%) Even taking out Hinduism, Islam and Judaism doesn't make Birmingham over 50%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis