Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 08:12 AM

8,940 posts, read 17,169,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemean View Post
Out of curiosity, where are you getting your numbers? I'm checking Religious Congregations & Membership Study, and it looks like none of those cities would count as Southern by your definition. (Baptist percentages: Birmingham 42%, Mobile 36%, Atlanta 28%, Nashville 32%, Memphis 30%, Louisville 28%, Catholic: Birmingham 8%, Mobile 13%, Atlanta 15%, Nashville 8%, Memphis 9%, Louisville 26%) Even taking out Hinduism, Islam and Judaism doesn't make Birmingham over 50%.
Looking over the website, this is what the percentage of church goers claim to be Southern Baptists and Catholic by metro area, using Birmingham as a baseline for "southern-ness" since that seems to be the direction of the thread:

Birmingham: 42% Southern Baptist, 8% Catholic

Indianapolis: 3% Southern Baptist, 24% Catholic

Louisville: 28% Southern Baptist, 26% Catholic

Minneapolis: 0.2% Southern Baptist, 41% Catholic

To, this suggests Louisville is a little more southern and not quite as Catholic as our friend Peter wants to believe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisville is actually SUBSTANTIALLY more Catholic than Indy. The poster above has no idea what they are talking about. Historically, Louisville is over 1/3 Catholic.
But more Catholic than Louisville has been getting credit for on this thread.

And it suggests to me that Louisville is every bit the border city has we thought it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 08:37 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,900,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemean View Post
Out of curiosity, where are you getting your numbers? I'm checking Religious Congregations & Membership Study, and it looks like none of those cities would count as Southern by your definition. (Baptist percentages: Birmingham 42%, Mobile 36%, Atlanta 28%, Nashville 32%, Memphis 30%, Louisville 28%, Catholic: Birmingham 8%, Mobile 13%, Atlanta 15%, Nashville 8%, Memphis 9%, Louisville 26%) Even taking out Hinduism, Islam and Judaism doesn't make Birmingham over 50%.
I confess, I just guesstimated for those cities, I wasn't sure if THOSE were over 50%. But having lived in Mississippi for over 3 years now I know that Jackson Mississippi is 54% baptist,(//www.city-data.com/city/Jackson-Mississippi.html ) Meridian Mississippi is 59% baptist, ( //www.city-data.com/city/Meridian-Mississippi.html ) Birmingham Alabama is 49% baptist, ( //www.city-data.com/city/Birmingham-Alabama.html ) Mobile is 46% baptist, ( //www.city-data.com/city/Mobile-Alabama.html ), Memphis Tennessee is 41% baptist ( //www.city-data.com/city/Memphis-Tennessee.html ).

So not all of them were over 50%, but Mississippi's cities are. And they are all FAR higher than Louisville, with far lower catholic percentages than Louisville.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:28 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,896,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Looking over the website, this is what the percentage of church goers claim to be Southern Baptists and Catholic by metro area, using Birmingham as a baseline for "southern-ness" since that seems to be the direction of the thread:

To, this suggests Louisville is a little more southern and not quite as Catholic as our friend Peter wants to believe:

And it suggests to me that Louisville is every bit the border city has we thought it was.

Catholics are the largest single religious presence in Indianapolis, but not by the same margin as in the rest of the U.S. Nationally, Catholics make up about 40 percent of religious membership and about 20 percent of the total population. In Indianapolis, Catholics make up about 25 percent of religious membership and about 10 percent of the population.
Counted together, Black Baptists are the second largest religious group in the city, representing about 15 percent of religious membership and 7 percent of the total population. Black Baptists represent about one-third of all African-Americans in Indianapolis.

The predominantly white churches that have historically been called "mainline"—Methodists, Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), Presbyterians, American Baptists, Lutherans (including ELCA and Missouri Synod), Episcopalians and United Church of Christ—make up roughly another 25 percent of religious membership, or just slightly more than 10 percent of the population. In the metropolitan area, Methodists are by far the biggest Protestant group, with its percentages far outstripping the national averages.

Other groups that appear in much greater proportions in Indianapolis than in the nation as a whole include Nazarenes, Churches of Christ, and independent Christian Churches. As in the rest of the Indiana, we also have disproportionate numbers of Mennonites, Brethren, and Friends (Quakers), although these groups are still relatively small.

By national standards, the most underrepresented religious group in Indianapolis is the Southern Baptist Convention. This group represents about 14 percent of religious adherents nationwide, but less than 3 percent of adherents in Indianapolis.

There are about one half as many Jews in Indianapolis as in the nation as a whole, but twice as many as in the rest of the state.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:46 PM

213 posts, read 320,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post

Ahhh, but then you throw in the culture, the cuisine, and the regional dialect, and Louisville is overwhelmingly Southern.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I confess, I just guesstimated for those cities, I wasn't sure if THOSE were over 50%. But having lived in Mississippi for over 3 years now I know that Jackson Mississippi is 54% baptist,(//www.city-data.com/city/Jackson-Mississippi.html ) Meridian Mississippi is 59% baptist, ( //www.city-data.com/city/Meridian-Mississippi.html ) Birmingham Alabama is 49% baptist, ( //www.city-data.com/city/Birmingham-Alabama.html ) Mobile is 46% baptist, ( //www.city-data.com/city/Mobile-Alabama.html ), Memphis Tennessee is 41% baptist ( //www.city-data.com/city/Memphis-Tennessee.html ).

So not all of them were over 50%, but Mississippi's cities are. And they are all FAR higher than Louisville, with far lower catholic percentages than Louisville.
Louisville is still culturally, linguistically, and politically Southern. Historically as well. If its sister city, Lexington, is undebatedly Southern, why is Louisville such a hard pill to swallow?

Old 07-30-2013, 10:28 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,900,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlst View Post
Louisville is still culturally, linguistically, and politically Southern. Historically as well. If its sister city, Lexington, is undebatedly Southern, why is Louisville such a hard pill to swallow?
Not saying Louisville isn't southern, but it is nowhere near as southern as the cities in the deep south, the ones I mentioned above.

It's like calling Jeffersonville northern or midwestern. Yes, Jeffersonville is in the midwest, but it's also right across the river from Louisville. Just like yes, Louisville is in the south and has some southern attributes, but it does border Indiana, and is pretty much the most northern of the southern cities.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Not saying Louisville isn't southern, but it is nowhere near as southern as the cities in the deep south, the ones I mentioned above.

It's like calling Jeffersonville northern or midwestern. Yes, Jeffersonville is in the midwest, but it's also right across the river from Louisville. Just like yes, Louisville is in the south and has some southern attributes, but it does border Indiana, and is pretty much the most northern of the southern cities.
I would basically call the southern third of Indiana the South. Evansville and Jeffersonville have nothing in common with Indianapolis other than being in the same state.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:59 AM

8,940 posts, read 17,169,522 times
Quote:
Ahhh, but then you throw in the culture, the cuisine, and the regional dialect, and Louisville is overwhelmingly Southern.
Quote:
I would basically call the southern third of Indiana the South. Evansville and Jeffersonville have nothing in common with Indianapolis other than being in the same state.
What is it about Louisville's (and Evansville for that matter) culture, cuisine, and dialect that make Louisville "overwhelmingly" southern. How is Evansville so different from Indianapolis, aside from obvious differences such as one is a bigger city than the other. You have to qualify such bold statements.

EDIT: I re-visited the thread, seems the logic being employed is sweet tea and southern baptists.

Let's have a look at the religious census map and see how far into Indiana that Southern Baptist majority climbs:

(it doesn't)

Evansville does have that one thing in common with Indianapolis, majority Catholic.

FYI - That purple (Catholic) county in northern central Kentucky is Jefferson County, also known as Louisville.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 07-31-2013 at 07:36 AM..

Old 07-31-2013, 02:23 PM

26 posts, read 41,141 times
Most people in the deep South don't consider Kentucky a Southern state. Most people in the Midwest don't consider Kentucky a Midwest state. Kentucky residents are pretty much divided 50-50 on whether they are Southern or Midwestern. One might say that Kentucky is pretty much a state without a region. Even during the War of Northern Aggression, aka The Civil War, Kentucky didn't know who to side with. So they became what's known as a "border state". When I was in school, nearly 60 year ago, are geography books grouped Kentucky, Oklahoma and Missoura in the Midwest. Are grandkids geography books I noticed have Kentucky grouped in the South and Missoura in the Midwest.

The accent in Kentucky is definitely not Southern like Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia, or even in my home state of Arkansas, but it's not that all much different from the native Indianners in Central and Southern Indiana, since Central and Southern Indiana is filled with people from Kentucky, West Virgina and North Central Tennessee, Dale Hollar area, Jamestown, Birdstown, Albany Kentucky etc. I had heard that in some the stores and gas stations in Jamestown there are maps on the wall showing the way to Muncie.

Louisville is like ever other big city, filled with transplants so the accent isn't that much different from the way they talk in most parts of Indianapolis, it's sort of a mish-mash. You never know what you're going to get until the person opens his or her mouth and start to talk, except for out there around the far Northern part of Indianapolis and Marion County an it's Northern suburbs such as Carmel, Fishers, and Zionsville, where unfortunately the native Hoosier accent has most definitely been diluted and Yankeeized by all the transplants from Chicago, Michigan, and Connecticut.

Last edited by Virgil Steiner; 07-31-2013 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: Edited to correct spelling and grammer errors.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:31 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,174,314 times
Just my personal Opinion But, Neither. I don't know whether any city can compare to the city of Indianapolis in the entire region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis