U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 09:15 AM

5,768 posts, read 9,269,792 times

Advertisements

I have a friend born and raised and still living in Minnesota that is a Southern Baptist. That does not make him southern. :-)

Why do people constantly try to compare cities like this? Every region has its own quirks and nuances and people seem unwilling to accept these differences. You can't pigeonhole Indy as being an exact replica as any other city just like you can't with any other city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 01:02 PM

6,517 posts, read 9,373,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Just my personal Opinion But, Neither. I don't know whether any city can compare to the city of Indianapolis in the entire region.
In the entire region? Columbus would be the sister city of Indianapolis. Similar size, growth trend, feel, development, people, etc.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:31 AM

30 posts, read 41,249 times
Just wondering... has anyone else (outside of Indy) actually walked Fountain Square, Irvington, Mass Ave (and the surrounding neighborhoods), what about the IUPUI/Canal district?

Not to mention Broad Ripple, who everyone always mentions like it's all Indy has.. haha, it is quite fun, but what about SoBro?? AKA South Broad Ripple (College Ave. from 46th street to 58th ish? The amazingly walkable hip local dining/bar district that seemingly none of you know about. It's the pulse of Indianapolis' forward thinking youth and it's so "hip" as people like to put it, but NONE of you even know about it, haha. That is my favorite neighborhood to visit... ten fold, then Fountain Square which boasts hardly ANY chains, then Broad Ripple, then Mass Ave (which is essentially just an extension downtown, but still, incredibly local and full of distinct vibes)...

It's funny how people from certain cities (you know who you are) claim to have "hip" and "vibrant" urban neighborhoods, and then call Indy's neighborhoods generic when NO ONE has even mentioned what I would call the 2 or 3 most "hip" locally grown cash-only bar type college aged neighborhoods in the city.

You make me laugh, you know nothing of something but speak so matter-a-factly... I've been to cool neighborhoods in many Midwestern cities that suprised me, and credit is given where it is deserved.. but to call Indy (and it's neighborhoods) generic shows you've either never been to the city, or went and where too square to know what to do and didn't go where the locals REALLY are, clearly haha.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:00 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,332,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
In the entire region? Columbus would be the sister city of Indianapolis. Similar size, growth trend, feel, development, people, etc.
Yes, Columbus comes to mind for having more similarity with Indy than the other two cities. The major difference between them I see is Indy having a better quality downtown, interstate and airport while Columbus has an edge in the outer neighborhoods, larger university and suburban shopping malls (ie Polaris, Easton) category. I believe Columbus's version of Carmel would be Dublin. You seem to have the expats from Cleveland/Pittsburgh migrating to Columbus while you have Chicago expats in Indy. The two state capitals are more of a cross roads type city culturally.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestdude123 View Post
Just wondering... has anyone else (outside of Indy) actually walked Fountain Square, Irvington, Mass Ave (and the surrounding neighborhoods), what about the IUPUI/Canal district?

Not to mention Broad Ripple, who everyone always mentions like it's all Indy has.. haha, it is quite fun, but what about SoBro?? AKA South Broad Ripple (College Ave. from 46th street to 58th ish? The amazingly walkable hip local dining/bar district that seemingly none of you know about. It's the pulse of Indianapolis' forward thinking youth and it's so "hip" as people like to put it, but NONE of you even know about it, haha. That is my favorite neighborhood to visit... ten fold, then Fountain Square which boasts hardly ANY chains, then Broad Ripple, then Mass Ave (which is essentially just an extension downtown, but still, incredibly local and full of distinct vibes)...

It's funny how people from certain cities (you know who you are) claim to have "hip" and "vibrant" urban neighborhoods, and then call Indy's neighborhoods generic when NO ONE has even mentioned what I would call the 2 or 3 most "hip" locally grown cash-only bar type college aged neighborhoods in the city.

You make me laugh, you know nothing of something but speak so matter-a-factly... I've been to cool neighborhoods in many Midwestern cities that suprised me, and credit is given where it is deserved.. but to call Indy (and it's neighborhoods) generic shows you've either never been to the city, or went and where too square to know what to do and didn't go where the locals REALLY are, clearly haha.
When you have people coming from other cities that have more options you're going to have some that say Indy doesn't have as much. I am one of those people but with a more open mind when looking at other cities. However, there are some cities that have less than Indy. Indy has some nice urban neighborhoods but you shouldn't take it personally because everyone doesn't dig the city.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:37 AM

It's nothing personal, I'm not even an Indy guy.. I'm a Pittsburgh guy I'm just saying, people say there's not much there then can't name the two best or hip or urban neighborhoods other than broad ripple.. Seems foolish, I understand your point though.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:07 PM

6,517 posts, read 9,373,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestdude123 View Post

I was not aware that these neighborhoods existed in Indianapolis. All I hear from people is how boring and generic it is with hardly any vibrant or hip neighborhoods, some lists even calling it one of the cities with the fewest hipsters, as if that should even be a competition. I will have to check out these areas at my earliest convenience, I always had a feeling a city the size of Indy had to have some trendy neighborhoods. Thanks for the good post.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:46 PM

For sure, I hope you check them out.. You'll find these places to be overrun with "hipsters" but I don't really use that term in a derogatory way because many of them are building something pretty cool, artistic, and sustainable in neighborhoods that people used to avoid. These "hipster" kids (twenty-somethings) that used to be sprawled throughout the city are clustering in SoBro and Fountain Square in drones, and the changing landscape of "hip" things to do reflects it. The misconception that Indy doesn't have this is based in turn of the millennium facts of the city, which was appropriately labeled bland.

I'm serious check out "SoBro" and walk it, you'll be very shocked as to what you'll find, then Fountain Square on a nice evening, the underground arts scene there is really something to see! Glad you believe me, but don't take my word for it, I hope you do check these places out for yourself! Then let others know what you think, good or bad.

Again, I reiterate I'm not an "Indy Guy" or mindless supporter, I travel all over, it's just been my newest fascination of late because numerous people say "The downtown is clean, vibrant, but the neighborhoods lack culture" when truly the momentum that's building there is unreal, and right now ONLY the locals doing it know about it, but not for long, not for long. Indy will get it's due, but it will take some time I'm sure.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:05 AM

26 posts, read 34,658 times
I don't think Indianapolis is anything at all like Columbus. They got a big school over there, which Indianapolis doesn't, and plus there liberal over there, which Indianapolis isn't.

Now I'll grant ya, theres a lot of the people in Indianapolis, mostly on the north side, Carmel, Zionsville and Fishers, that like to think they are more like Minneapolis than Louisville, but in reality, Indianapolis and Louisville could almost pass as identical twins. nearly the same size cities, same demographics, same accents, same interests in sports. There both racing towns. Louisville races horses, Indianapolis races cars. They both basketball crazy. They both root for the Colts. The list goes on.

Now I bet if you ask a random person in downtown Minneapolis if that town is anything like Indianapolis, they wouldn't just tell you "no", but "HE!! NO" Then they'd let you know in no uncertain terms that Minneapolis is much more like Denver and Seattle than anything like Indianapolis. Then they would tell you to go compare Indianapolis's to it's own peer cities such as Little Rock, Des Moines, Omaha and Ft Wayne.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil Steiner View Post
I don't think Indianapolis is anything at all like Columbus. They got a big school over there, which Indianapolis doesn't, and plus there liberal over there, which Indianapolis isn't.

Now I'll grant ya, theres a lot of the people in Indianapolis, mostly on the north side, Carmel, Zionsville and Fishers, that like to think they are more like Minneapolis than Louisville, but in reality, Indianapolis and Louisville could almost pass as identical twins. nearly the same size cities, same demographics, same accents, same interests in sports. There both racing towns. Louisville races horses, Indianapolis races cars. They both basketball crazy. They both root for the Colts. The list goes on.

Now I bet if you ask a random person in downtown Minneapolis if that town is anything like Indianapolis, they wouldn't just tell you "no", but "HE!! NO" Then they'd let you know in no uncertain terms that Minneapolis is much more like Denver and Seattle than anything like Indianapolis. Then they would tell you to go compare Indianapolis's to it's own peer cities such as Little Rock, Des Moines, Omaha and Ft Wayne.
There are only two things I see in common between Indy and Minneapolis. Outside of Chicago, the two have the most vibrant downtown areas and a large skywalk network. That's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis