U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2013, 09:23 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,332,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil Steiner View Post
I don't think Indianapolis is anything at all like Columbus. They got a big school over there, which Indianapolis doesn't, and plus there liberal over there, which Indianapolis isn't.

Now I'll grant ya, theres a lot of the people in Indianapolis, mostly on the north side, Carmel, Zionsville and Fishers, that like to think they are more like Minneapolis than Louisville, but in reality, Indianapolis and Louisville could almost pass as identical twins. nearly the same size cities, same demographics, same accents, same interests in sports. There both racing towns. Louisville races horses, Indianapolis races cars. They both basketball crazy. They both root for the Colts. The list goes on.

Now I bet if you ask a random person in downtown Minneapolis if that town is anything like Indianapolis, they wouldn't just tell you "no", but "HE!! NO" Then they'd let you know in no uncertain terms that Minneapolis is much more like Denver and Seattle than anything like Indianapolis. Then they would tell you to go compare Indianapolis's to it's own peer cities such as Little Rock, Des Moines, Omaha and Ft Wayne.
There are only two things I see in common between Indy and Minneapolis. Outside of Chicago, the two have the most vibrant downtown areas and a large skywalk network connecting a bunch of buildings. That's about it. Anything else they do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 10:37 AM

30 posts, read 41,249 times
Yeah you can't really compare the vibrancy of Louisville and Indy... Indy has a lot more but with that said I personally love Louisville, too.. I Like the old vibes, but Minneapolis and Indy are similarly newer looking downtowns where as Louisville does not.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestdude123 View Post
Yeah you can't really compare the vibrancy of Louisville and Indy... Indy has a lot more but with that said I personally love Louisville, too.. I Like the old vibes, but Minneapolis and Indy are similarly newer looking downtowns where as Louisville does not.
You're right, when it comes to age Louisville is actually an older city than either one.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:43 AM

34 posts, read 58,556 times
I haven't spent a lot of time in Indianapolis, but I have spent some time there. My girlfriend comes from Indianapolis. In my opinion, Indianapolis feels more like a thriving sunbelt city than a Midwestern city. I think it feels more like Nashville or Charlotte, or even a smaller version of Dallas or Houston than it does Minneapolis or Louisville. I think Indy feels vibrant and fresh, like something is always happening, or is about to happen. It doesn't feel like Cincy, St Louis, Milwaukee or Cleveland. The feeling I get from those towns, is those towns have seen better days, whereas Indianapolis feels like it's a young up and coming town with it's future still very much ahead, where the best is yet to come.

If Indianapolis thinks forward and progressive, instead of being complacent with the status quo, I see no reason why Indy can't compete with the likes of Charlotte and Nashville, Jacksonville and Austin.

The one thing that Indy lacks and might hold them back is nice year round weather. But even the winters aren't that much different from Nashville. Indy gets more snow, but from what I've seen, it doesn't get enough snow to do anything in, but just enough to mess everything up.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:54 AM

I really agree with your thoughts... Indy is a 21st century city for sure, but it is Midwestern in culture as far as food, arts, and fairly good-natured people in my opinion. But definitely I don't think people from Indy would be offended being in the level of those other great cities you mentioned.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:02 PM

6,517 posts, read 9,373,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil Steiner View Post
I don't think Indianapolis is anything at all like Columbus. They got a big school over there, which Indianapolis doesn't, and plus there liberal over there, which Indianapolis isn't.

Now I'll grant ya, theres a lot of the people in Indianapolis, mostly on the north side, Carmel, Zionsville and Fishers, that like to think they are more like Minneapolis than Louisville, but in reality, Indianapolis and Louisville could almost pass as identical twins. nearly the same size cities, same demographics, same accents, same interests in sports. There both racing towns. Louisville races horses, Indianapolis races cars. They both basketball crazy. They both root for the Colts. The list goes on.

Now I bet if you ask a random person in downtown Minneapolis if that town is anything like Indianapolis, they wouldn't just tell you "no", but "HE!! NO" Then they'd let you know in no uncertain terms that Minneapolis is much more like Denver and Seattle than anything like Indianapolis. Then they would tell you to go compare Indianapolis's to it's own peer cities such as Little Rock, Des Moines, Omaha and Ft Wayne.
You have a quality education there, comparing and contrasting cities using some of the most loose terms I've ever seen, and you don't know how to use there their and they're, or its and it's. Makes it very difficult to take any of what you're saying seriously.

Columbus and Indianapolis have almost identical demographics, almost identical population. Columbus is 797,000 and Indianapolis 830,000, Columbus Metro is 2 million Indy Metro is 1.9 million. Both have some very affluent suburbs.

Columbus does have Ohio State, but Indianapolis has Butler and IUPUI, IUPUI has over 30,000 students now. Both are state capitals, both are located in the central part of the state, and both are liberal towns. In 2008 Marion County, which is where Indianapolis is voted 68% for Barack Obama, that's a pretty large margin. So Indy and Columbus are actually very similar.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:12 PM

General consensus in this debate on this site is that Indy has a better downtown and C-bus has better neighborhoods.. I don't think it's that simple though, as i for one think Indy's neighborhoods are underrated (or better yet seemingly unknown by many) but se may say C-bus' downtown is overrated, but you're right many aspects are similar. Indy "seems" a bit more major league but then again, also Indy during the summer is still going strong where once OSU is out of session I can't say the same.

You're right though, maybe it comes down to preference.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:17 PM

some* not se

Old 08-11-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
You have a quality education there, comparing and contrasting cities using some of the most loose terms I've ever seen, and you don't know how to use there their and they're, or its and it's. Makes it very difficult to take any of what you're saying seriously.
There is grammar education and then there are other categories of education such as geography or economics. Grammar is only a fraction of it. Demographically, there are parts of the country that use more local slang of expressions that aren't proper grammar according to Webster (American English). Just go to Boston, the deep South or New Orleans. The dialect in those places aren't the same. If you ever been to England some of their dialect would be completely foreign to us. The English don't all use the same words as the posh Queen. The various regions of the UK even varies. In America, we aren't all proper. Oxford is British English and Webster is American English. Most Americans don't speak proper English according to the English. My girlfriend and I would sometimes tease each other with some of the words we use. In a hundred years our language could change so it doesn't really matter anyway. It's changing anyway. Our language is different compared to the last few centuries. Spanish could become the predominant language in the future for all we know.

People in Manchester make fun of the "Brummie" Birmingham dialect all the time. Stop Rylin 'Ya Daft Apeth. Now that wasn't proper grammar.

UK English dialect varies by region.

Americans speaking French Cajun not proper English.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:02 AM

213 posts, read 256,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
There are only two things I see in common between Indy and Minneapolis. Outside of Chicago, the two have the most vibrant downtown areas and a large skywalk network connecting a bunch of buildings. That's about it. Anything else they do not.
No cultural similarities, nothing? No historical similarities? I suppose there's nothing at all similar between Indy and Chicago either? No, of course not. Indy is a Southern city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis