U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 11:04 AM

213 posts, read 256,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil Steiner View Post
I don't think Indianapolis is anything at all like Columbus. They got a big school over there, which Indianapolis doesn't, and plus there liberal over there, which Indianapolis isn't.

Now I'll grant ya, theres a lot of the people in Indianapolis, mostly on the north side, Carmel, Zionsville and Fishers, that like to think they are more like Minneapolis than Louisville, but in reality, Indianapolis and Louisville could almost pass as identical twins. nearly the same size cities, same demographics, same accents, same interests in sports. There both racing towns. Louisville races horses, Indianapolis races cars. They both basketball crazy. They both root for the Colts. The list goes on.

Now I bet if you ask a random person in downtown Minneapolis if that town is anything like Indianapolis, they wouldn't just tell you "no", but "HE!! NO" Then they'd let you know in no uncertain terms that Minneapolis is much more like Denver and Seattle than anything like Indianapolis. Then they would tell you to go compare Indianapolis's to it's own peer cities such as Little Rock, Des Moines, Omaha and Ft Wayne.
Indy is nothing like Columbus? Wow. I guess Detroit and Cleveland have no similarities. According to the OP at least they don't. Indy is roughly the same size as Columbus, has the same demographics, same culture, same dialect, and in many ways the same history. Columbus is Indy's twin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 12:05 PM

1,277 posts, read 4,204,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlst View Post
Indy is nothing like Columbus? Wow. I guess Detroit and Cleveland have no similarities. According to the OP at least they don't. Indy is roughly the same size as Columbus, has the same demographics, same culture, same dialect, and in many ways the same history. Columbus is Indy's twin.
Been to both and Columbus is less midwestern. It has more east coast/great lakes transplants. It is more liberal. Has the highest concentration of college students in the whole US after Boston. One of the largest LGBT populations between the coasts.

Is a liberal/progressive not just city but metro. Has an urban housing stock that is completely different. Columbus is almos all brick and was built more dense in its central city neigborhoods, with commercial/retail streetscapes (ala High st corridor, parsons ave, broad st etc) And the downtown really doesn't look similar either.

I am not bashing Indy, but the only thing similar is that Indy is similar size and has similar growth patterns. Even economically Columbus is more of a headquarters city (global/us) where Indy is more regional. Indy is all about the medical field and has a huge convention industry. Columbus has a huge retail industry absent in indy bringing in a large creative class. In 2013 not that similiar.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:39 PM

905 posts, read 1,420,077 times
This thread can go on for a thousand more pages.

In a nutshell, a lot of places can seem very similar from higher up but you can always find differences if you look closer.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:22 PM

4,656 posts, read 7,259,671 times
from the viewpoint of someone who isn't close by...when I hear Louisville I think southern, Indianapolis as midwest and Minneapolis as northern. I would guess alot of people not close by that region would say the same.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
from the viewpoint of someone who isn't close by...when I hear Louisville I think southern, Indianapolis as midwest and Minneapolis as northern. I would guess alot of people not close by that region would say the same.
Midwest=Northern. Minneapolis is a Midwestern city as well.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Been to both and Columbus is less midwestern. It has more east coast/great lakes transplants. It is more liberal. Has the highest concentration of college students in the whole US after Boston. One of the largest LGBT populations between the coasts.

Is a liberal/progressive not just city but metro. Has an urban housing stock that is completely different. Columbus is almos all brick and was built more dense in its central city neigborhoods, with commercial/retail streetscapes (ala High st corridor, parsons ave, broad st etc) And the downtown really doesn't look similar either.

I am not bashing Indy, but the only thing similar is that Indy is similar size and has similar growth patterns. Even economically Columbus is more of a headquarters city (global/us) where Indy is more regional. Indy is all about the medical field and has a huge convention industry. Columbus has a huge retail industry absent in indy bringing in a large creative class. In 2013 not that similiar.
So Columbus isn't Midwestern....that is a load of B/S. Columbus has more in common with Indy than it does with Philadelphia.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:03 AM

8,367 posts, read 14,399,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlst View Post
So Columbus isn't Midwestern....that is a load of B/S. Columbus has more in common with Indy than it does with Philadelphia.
Don't mind him..........a lot of our Columbus friends have such an inferiority complex that they will say anything to make their town sound like the second coming of New York. It is sad and hilarious.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:31 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,970,864 times
This thread continues to get more and more ridiculous and it will go on and on and on to eternity and beyond!

Old 08-19-2013, 10:01 AM

260 posts, read 318,215 times
I've been to all 3 cities (Louisville, Indianapolis, and Minneapolis). Minneapolis is defintiley bigger in metro area as it's connected with St. Paul and has more suburbs. Indianapolis is second. Then third Louisville. Minneapolis is definitely more lively than all 3. Indianapolis has a larger city population than Minneapolis & Louisville because of it has a larger city limit, but lacks the metro area of Minneapolis. Louisville always seems like a quieter city than the other two. I have not spent much time in any of the cities in the winter....

Old 08-19-2013, 10:07 AM

260 posts, read 318,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic toast View Post
don't mind him..........a lot of our columbus friends have such an inferiority complex that they will say anything to make their town sound like the second coming of new york. It is sad and hilarious.
lol!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis