U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-20-2013, 11:13 AM
 
10 posts, read 9,460 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

Indianapolis is more like Louisville. Nap has a definite Southern flair about it that permeates the air.

Minneapolis is nearly 600 miles away. I don't know why anybody would think Nap is more like Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2013, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,992,798 times
Reputation: 4065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintarius View Post
Indianapolis is more like Louisville. Nap has a definite Southern flair about it that permeates the air.

Minneapolis is nearly 600 miles away. I don't know why anybody would think Nap is more like Minneapolis.
What is so southern about Indianapolis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Midwest
260 posts, read 318,702 times
Reputation: 185
Probably because it's so close to the south...the cultures blend a little. Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 07:41 PM
 
Location: San Diego
1,765 posts, read 3,116,853 times
Reputation: 1233
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8089 View Post
Probably because it's so close to the south...the cultures blend a little. Right?
Yeah, in Louisville. Not so much in Indy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2013, 01:38 PM
 
213 posts, read 256,782 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintarius View Post
Indianapolis is more like Louisville. Nap has a definite Southern flair about it that permeates the air.

Minneapolis is nearly 600 miles away. I don't know why anybody would think Nap is more like Minneapolis.
I don't know why anyone would think Louisville is more like Indianapolis. Distance is not what makes a place different. It's culture, demographics, and linguistics. Something most people in this thread obviously think is irrelevant. Explain how "Nap" has a Southern flair to it, and elaborate extensively on that. Indy is a Southern city. LOL!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2013, 01:42 PM
 
213 posts, read 256,782 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8089 View Post
Probably because it's so close to the south...the cultures blend a little. Right?
The cultures do not blend that much. Indianapolis is Northern in terms of history, linguistics, speech patterns, or demographics. Virtually everything about Indianapolis is Midwestern. Louisville has Midwestern influences for sure, but it is far more Southern than it is Midwestern. I'm from St. Louis. When I visited Louisville, I felt like I was on another planet. And I bet people on here are gonna start grouping St. Louis and Louisville together as twin cities. Wrong. Culturally, linguistically, and demographically, the two are basically different. I'll let the less educated duke it out on here, as clearly no amount of reasoning can change their minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2013, 01:58 PM
 
213 posts, read 256,782 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
I was part of a discussion where someone said Indianapolis has more in common with Minneapolis than Louisville. Just because one is part of the Midwest and the other is part of the South doesn't really define their characteristics. Louisville has a lot of Midwest characteristics, don't you think? Indianapolis and Louisville have a lot in common because of their location and proximity to each other. I didn't realize there was a major wall that divided the two states of Indiana and Kentucky and there were no attributes between the two. Think of the sporting culture, food, and overall culture of Indianapolis and Louisville versus Indianapolis and Minneapolis.

What city do you think Indianapolis is more like? Louisville or Minneapolis?
You think location is important and means everything. To answer your question: the sporting culture, food, and overall culture of Indianapolis and Louisville couldn't be more different. Louisville's cuisine is Southern, as is their dialect, as is their sports....Indy has the Indy500....Louisville has the Kentucky Derby. As different as it gets. If that makes Indy more similar to Louisville, I guess fall is a lot like spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2014, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Ironwood, MI
13 posts, read 21,634 times
Reputation: 49
I stumbled onto this forum almost a year too late. I doubt anyone will even read it. I have never been to Indi or Louisville. I have been in Minnesota a lot and outskirts of Minneapolis a few times. Someone complained about traffic in the Twin Cities. Have you driven around Chicago? The Twin Cities has a metro population of over 2 1/2 million so it is going to have traffic issues. I have found most drivers around the Twin Cities to be courteous and most do not drive at excessive speeds. The state of Minnesota was largely settled by Germans and Scandinavians with a liberal attitude towards social programs. I understand Indiana is a Republican conservative state so there would be some political contrasts between the two. I would classify Minnesotans as being a people who like to work hard and play hard. And winter never slows them down. You won't find people in Minnesota with cabin fever. They know how to have fun in any season. Cost of living in Twin Cities is high, about 15% above national average. And Minnesota is a high tax state. Don't know how that compares to Indiana. Minnesota has high taxes but they really take care of their state. Beautiful state parks, pretty good highways but city streets maybe not so great. Excellent public schools and outstanding colleges and universities. And Minneapolis is a mall city. They built the first one in the country and now they have the largest (actually in Bloomington).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2014, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Earth
2,549 posts, read 3,336,118 times
Reputation: 1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper62 View Post
I stumbled onto this forum almost a year too late. I doubt anyone will even read it. I have never been to Indi or Louisville. I have been in Minnesota a lot and outskirts of Minneapolis a few times. Someone complained about traffic in the Twin Cities. Have you driven around Chicago? The Twin Cities has a metro population of over 2 1/2 million so it is going to have traffic issues. I have found most drivers around the Twin Cities to be courteous and most do not drive at excessive speeds. The state of Minnesota was largely settled by Germans and Scandinavians with a liberal attitude towards social programs. I understand Indiana is a Republican conservative state so there would be some political contrasts between the two. I would classify Minnesotans as being a people who like to work hard and play hard. And winter never slows them down. You won't find people in Minnesota with cabin fever. They know how to have fun in any season. Cost of living in Twin Cities is high, about 15% above national average. And Minnesota is a high tax state. Don't know how that compares to Indiana. Minnesota has high taxes but they really take care of their state. Beautiful state parks, pretty good highways but city streets maybe not so great. Excellent public schools and outstanding colleges and universities. And Minneapolis is a mall city. They built the first one in the country and now they have the largest (actually in Bloomington).
Indy will obviously have more cultural migration out of KY and TN due to it's location than Minneapolis would. I use to live in Cincy and it has far more KY culture than Indy. Culturally, Indy actually has more in common with Columbus,OH than both Louisville or the Twin Cities. Louisville is in Kentucky so it will be more influenced by Kentucky culture. The Twins are in a different part of the region. The only thing Minny and Indy have in common are the 'vibrant' downtowns and skybridge networks compared to other cities (Chicago excluded).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2014, 09:17 PM
Status: "In Fort Worth Texas living it up until January 12th" (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Indianarctica,
3,238 posts, read 2,141,946 times
Reputation: 1107
I would say Indianapolis is more like Minneapolis minus the much larger metropolitan area, more promising economic outlook and super-frigid winters. Indianapolis and Minneapolis have more in common with each other than Indianapolis and Louisville have in common with each other, both in a climate/weather sense, and also in an economic sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top