U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2014, 07:29 AM

6,517 posts, read 9,377,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I would say Indianapolis is more like Minneapolis minus the much larger metropolitan area, more promising economic outlook and super-frigid winters. Indianapolis and Minneapolis have more in common with each other than Indianapolis and Louisville have in common with each other, both in a climate/weather sense, and also in an economic sense.
Louisville doesn't have a promising economic outlook? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Status: "In Fort Worth Texas living it up until January 12th" (set 10 days ago)

3,212 posts, read 2,131,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Louisville doesn't have a promising economic outlook? Really?
Louisville has a promising outlook as well economically so I guess in the sense of economics Indianapolis is like neither Minneapolis nor Louisville in this prerogative sense. Indianapolis's overall climate despite being nearly 600 miles to the South of Minneapolis, seems to be the Future Minneapolis under a hotter climactic regime, no kidding I have heard that if Minnesota became hotter and wetter it would resemble present day Indiana. Either way you slice it Indianapolis annual average mean temperature under the 1981-2010 averages is about 53.2 Degrees Fahrenheit, and Minneapolis's Average annual mean temperature for the same period is like 46.3 Degrees Fahrenheit, not that large or distinguishable difference if you ask me, considering the large distance from each other, and considering the fact that Louisville is only a little over 100 miles to the south and is about 5 Degrees warmer than Indianapolis is year round if not even just a bit more than that.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,289 times
if you care to ck city pop of indy , louie & minnap you will find indy is about 4 times the size of louie & almost 3 times size of minnap. minnap metro area pop a little bigger than indy & indy still much bigger metro than louie. as for things to do ( sports, conventions, restaurants , etc. indy is much closer to minnap than louie. louiee is still pretty much a cow town.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp68 View Post
if you care to ck city pop of indy , louie & minnap you will find indy is about 4 times the size of louie & almost 3 times size of minnap. minnap metro area pop a little bigger than indy & indy still much bigger metro than louie. as for things to do ( sports, conventions, restaurants , etc. indy is much closer to minnap than louie. louiee is still pretty much a cow town.
Just stop.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:09 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,359,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp68 View Post
if you care to is ck city pop sidy , louie & minnap you will find indy is about 4 times the size of louie & almost 3 times size of minnap. minnap metro area pop a little bigger than indy & indy still much bigger metro than louie. as for things to do ( sports, conventions, restaurants , etc. indy is much closer to minnap than louie. louiee is still pretty much a cow town.
You care to cite your source that Indy is 4 times the size of Louisville? Louisville is over 600,000. By your own calculation, Indianapolis should be at least 2.4 million and we all know that's not the case.

Even the Indy metro is not a whole lot larger than Louisville metro. Indy metro is closer in population to Louisville than it is to Minneapolis metro. Minneapolis identifies more with Denver and Seattle than it does Indianapolis. MSP is much more upper Midwest and Scandanavian, whereas Indy and Louisville are border regions of upper South and lower Midwest with a population of mostly English, Scotch, German and African ancestry than MSP.

Another thing, there are many more native Louisvillians and Kentuckians living in Indianapolis than there are native Minneapolisians and Minnesotans living in Indianapolis. I would also venture to guess there are many more natives of Indianapolis living in Louisville than in MSP.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 12-29-2014 at 02:37 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 09:36 AM

673 posts, read 527,057 times
I have lived in Indianapolis most of my life. I have also lived in Mesa AZ and Cincinnati. My wife was born and raised in Louisville. Louisville averages 7 degrees F warmer than Indy in January. All three cities have cold winters and hot summers. Louisville does have some southern charm, and some rolling hills in the area which are scenic. The Ohio river is a small plus. All three cities have a rust belt feel to them. Personally I don't have much preference for one over the other considering these three. Maybe moving to Lexington Ky would be a better choice.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:01 AM

4,802 posts, read 4,070,963 times
Found this thread when I was researching Clarksville.

For those that said Indy has a Southern flair, have you EVER been to the South?

Indy doesn't have Southern food, Southern accents, Southern dress, nor Southern ties. Are there some transplants in Indy from the South? Obviously. As there are in Chicago but nobody is calling that Southern.

Minnesota is obviously truly NORTH in every sense of the word. There needs to be a disambiguation between the North and the Midwest. All Midwest states are theoretically Northern in that they were Union States (then again Kentucky was, too) but Midwest culture and Northern culture vary. Midwest culture is that Middle American heartland feel. Northern culture is the immigrant based, non-Anglo European based culture. This is why you find anywhere from New England to Minnesota that differs from the Midwest. I consider Minnesota a separate entity from the Midwest which is why the term Upper Midwest exists. It's just a different culture than the Middle America one found in Indiana.

The dialect spoken in all three cities is different. I've heard it argued that Indy and Louisville both speak in General, "Midwest" (Midland) accents that are difficult to distinguish to untrained ears. In my opinion, even if the Louisville accent is Midland, there's too much usage of "y'all" that it becomes Southern to my ears. In Indy, they have what's called a true Midland dialect in that anyone in America could hear it and not know where the person is from. Louisvillians I feel have it more distinct and more Southern. Is it Mississippi Southern as in "nahs waht rahs" (nice white rice pronunciation)? Not at all. But, go to Indy and Louisville in the same day and tell me you don't hear a difference.

Indy has no distinct accent. It ain't Northern and it ain't Southern. Mpls on the other hand has a true Northern dialect with Northern Cities Vowel Shift, giving it that distinct nasal sound associated with Northern accents. All three have different accents; Mpls Northern, Indy "Midwest"/Generic, and Louisville a light Southern.

Food wise, no comparison between each. I don't even know what to put here. Indy doesn't serve sweet tea unless you specifically ask for it and even then you might get a no. Louisville has it almost everywhere. So, stop saying Indy and Louisville are the same culture.

Climate? Well, Indy and Mpls are both in the humid continental climate zone. Louisville is humid subtropical so that takes it out of contention. Now let me wait for c-d amateur climatologists to say that Louisville gets some snow so therefore isn't humid subtropical. Fwiw it seems interesting that Indy is like 600 miles south of Mpls and gets about half the snow of Mpls, yet Louisville is only 100 miles South and gets half the snow of Indy. So, climate zones don't change, huh? Indy and Mpls are at least in the same climate, with the exception of Indy being a warm summer city and I BELIEVE Mpls being a cool summer city but don't hold me to that.

My take? Indy is probably more like Mpls in terms of it being

Not Southern in culture
Humid continental climate

Indy is probably more like Louisville in terms of

Popularity of race cars maybe? Lol don't they like horses more in Kentucky? I always thought of Louisville as more "upper class preppy debutante Southern" rather than redneck. Indiana has sone country people for sure but I can assure you that country people exist in Minnesota, too. Country =/= Southern.

The politics of each city don't even align. Mpls seems to be more of that Blue Dog but still live and let live Democrat, Indy more split, and Louisville a shifting demographic from fiscally conservative to socially liberal. Indy, being a city that has the least Whites by percentage will be a different type of Democrat than either Mpls or Louisville. I know Whites in Indy vote Republican and they tend to be socially conservative. Whites in Louisville tend to be fiscally conservative and not necessarily socially. In Mpls I feel they're socially and fiscally liberal, especially fiscally.

I just feel it's hard to compare these three. I do find it quite telling though that despite Indy's proximity to Louisville it still hasn't adopted a Southern culture. But does that make it more like Mpls? I don't know. I know it isn't much like Louisville, though.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:04 AM

25,709 posts, read 19,110,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Found this thread when I was researching Clarksville.

For those that said Indy has a Southern flair, have you EVER been to the South?

Indy doesn't have Southern food, Southern accents, Southern dress, nor Southern ties. Are there some transplants in Indy from the South? Obviously. As there are in Chicago but nobody is calling that Southern.
This. I don't see where people thinking Indy is Southern AT ALL. It's very, very far from even heavy transplant Southern cities like Raleigh and Charlotte.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:42 PM

4,802 posts, read 4,070,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This. I don't see where people thinking Indy is Southern AT ALL. It's very, very far from even heavy transplant Southern cities like Raleigh and Charlotte.
Many city Northerners assume that if something is country it must be Southern, and since people associate Indiana with "country", then by default Indy must be Southern. Also, because some country people like race cars, then the existence of the Indy 500 MUST mean Indy is Southern. Also, those Indiana accents to a Northern ear sound twangy therefore Southern. Note: I don't believe any of these things.

However, to the ear of someone who is used to hearing overly nasal Northern accents, a Midwest accent sounds sort of Southern. But to that same ear, someone from Philly would sound Southern so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Many city Northerners assume that if something is country it must be Southern, and since people associate Indiana with "country", then by default Indy must be Southern. Also, because some country people like race cars, then the existence of the Indy 500 MUST mean Indy is Southern. Also, those Indiana accents to a Northern ear sound twangy therefore Southern. Note: I don't believe any of these things.

However, to the ear of someone who is used to hearing overly nasal Northern accents, a Midwest accent sounds sort of Southern. But to that same ear, someone from Philly would sound Southern so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Having grown up in Indiana I can attest to a few different accents the state breeds. Southern Indiana and most of the rural areas of central Indiana indeed carry a soft twang, nothing like you'd find in Kentucky though, except Jeffersonville might be close, and the people in more urban cities, like Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, South Bend, Chicagoland area, and the college towns all have the appropriate Midwest accent. It can change fast though, leave South Bend and go to Walkerton or Plymouth and those accents may return.

I've met a few people from Minnesota and can't say they sounded any different, though I've never visited Minneapolis so who knows. Chicagoans born and raised there will often have their unique accent too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis