U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 07:57 AM

8,367 posts, read 14,400,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
If you want to compare religions you may need to reevaluate. Louisville is dominated by Catholicism. I'd wager it's close, if not ahead of Minneapolis
According to the U.S. Religion Census, which was performed in 2010 by the Association of Statisticians of American Religious Bodies, Louisville is majority Catholic. If you added up the various sects within "protestant" Louisville is majority protestant. Same with Indianapolis and Hennepin County.

Louisville
Indianapolis
Hennepin County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 08:13 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,456,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
If you want to compare religions you may need to reevaluate. Louisville is dominated by Catholicism. I'd wager it's close, if not ahead of Minneapolis
You would lose that wage my friend.

//www.city-data.com/county/reli...County-KY.html

Old 10-07-2015, 11:00 AM

10,097 posts, read 21,531,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
You would lose that wage my friend.

//www.city-data.com/county/reli...County-KY.html
That's really surprising. I assume that's membership and you have a lot of people of Catholic heritage who now go nowhere or converted to some from of Protestantism. At most I'd think Louisville's White population is 50/50 Catholic vs Protestant. Nearly all of the German and Irish immigrants of the 18th cent were Catholic as were a large amount of the rural people moving here due to the Maryland English Catholics who settled SE of here. (very unique group. Rural, Southern, English, and Catholic)

Politically I think Indy and Louisville are similar, central country is Center Left and surrounding areas are decidedly Right. Even rural Minnesota is pretty 50/50 on Obama vs Romney and the city itself is Far Left. Ditto Milwaukee. They're more in line with Canada on a lot of things than even the Midwest.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
That's really surprising. I assume that's membership and you have a lot of people of Catholic heritage who now go nowhere or converted to some from of Protestantism. At most I'd think Louisville's White population is 50/50 Catholic vs Protestant. Nearly all of the German and Irish immigrants of the 18th cent were Catholic as were a large amount of the rural people moving here due to the Maryland English Catholics who settled SE of here. (very unique group. Rural, Southern, English, and Catholic)

Politically I think Indy and Louisville are similar, central country is Center Left and surrounding areas are decidedly Right. Even rural Minnesota is pretty 50/50 on Obama vs Romney and the city itself is Far Left. Ditto Milwaukee. They're more in line with Canada on a lot of things than even the Midwest.
In Louisville Catholicism membership is shrinking whereas Protestant membership is increasing.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:12 AM

6,766 posts, read 14,097,816 times
Quote:
In Louisville Catholicism membership is shrinking whereas Protestant membership is increasing.

Those data from City Data...they cannot be trusted. Louisville is majority Catholic. It has been that way for 200 years and it hasn't changed.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Those data from City Data...they cannot be trusted. Louisville is majority Catholic. It has been that way for 200 years and it hasn't changed.
If you say so.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

The Association of Religion Data Archives | Maps & Reports

Last edited by Yac; 10-09-2015 at 08:01 AM..

Old 10-11-2015, 01:20 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,140,187 times
Quote:
In my humble opinion, Indianapolis is nothing like Minneapolis. As far as weather is concern, Indianapolis is closer to Louisville's climate zone than Minneapolis:

Indianapolis: http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/Images/150dpi/IN.jpg

Minneapolis/St. Paul: http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/Images/150dpi/MN.jpg

Louisville: http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/P.../150dpi/KY.jpg

Also Indianapolis is one of the most Protestant large cities in the United States vs. Minneapolis which is one of the most Catholic large cities in the United States:

Protestant: These Are The Most Protestant U.S. Cities

Catholic: These Are The Most Catholic U.S. Cities
I'm a Minnesotan just browsing through this thread. This is the first time I have ever heard of Minneapolis being described as a Catholic city. If you look closer at the data in the link you provided you will also see that Minneapolis has a higher percentage of mainline Protestants than any other major metro in the US. This is because the upper Midwest has the largest concentration of Lutherans in the country. Most Minnesotans think of Lutheranism as the state's default denomination, and the state's culture is heavily stamped with it - it is why Minnesota and the upper Midwest has a Protestant religious left which most of the rest of the of the country lacks.

I've never been to Louisville but I have spent a fair amount of time in Indianapolis (half my family went to DePauw), I don't see much similarity between Minneapolis and Indianapolis - they are opposite poles on the Midwestern cultural spectrum.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 10-11-2015 at 01:51 PM..

Old 10-11-2015, 03:36 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,356,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I can be defiant and wear the title proudly, because I'd rather be thought of as a yankee than a redneck.
You say redneck like its a bad thing. I don't get it. Whenever rednecks are around, its a good bet you're gonna have a good time.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:56 AM

1,765 posts, read 3,113,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I've never been to Louisville but I have spent a fair amount of time in Indianapolis (half my family went to DePauw), I don't see much similarity between Minneapolis and Indianapolis - they are opposite poles on the Midwestern cultural spectrum.
So what do you mean by the phrase "opposite poles on the Midwestern cultural spectrum"? I find that statement hard to believe, at least based on the way I'm currently interpreting it.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:03 AM

4,802 posts, read 4,066,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
I'm a Minnesotan just browsing through this thread. This is the first time I have ever heard of Minneapolis being described as a Catholic city. If you look closer at the data in the link you provided you will also see that Minneapolis has a higher percentage of mainline Protestants than any other major metro in the US. This is because the upper Midwest has the largest concentration of Lutherans in the country. Most Minnesotans think of Lutheranism as the state's default denomination, and the state's culture is heavily stamped with it - it is why Minnesota and the upper Midwest has a Protestant religious left which most of the rest of the of the country lacks.

I presume you're not familiar with American Catholics, who for the most part are leftist, because they're pretty much the largest group of religious leftists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis