U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-15-2015, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,988,794 times
Reputation: 4065

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I live in suburbs where most people are Catholic. I'm from the Chicago metro for cryin' out loud. Lots of Irish and Polish Catholics here. No right wingers to be seen. I'm fact, people HATE right wingers around here.
Then get outside your Chicago bubble. And not being a right-winger does not necessarily equate being a leftist. Most folks are not purely right or left.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2015, 05:04 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 4,075,202 times
Reputation: 2607
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Then get outside your Chicago bubble. And not being a right-winger does not necessarily equate being a leftist. Most folks are not purely right or left.
Also lived in Baltimore, a very heavy Catholic area that leans left. My family is from Massachusetts, too and they're Portuguese Catholics. Massachusetts itself is pretty left leaning and Catholic.

Do I discredit what you're saying that right wing Catholics exist? No. But they're more the exception. Fact is most Catholics lean left in economics, and in terms of gov't role, they also align with the Democratic party.

Although Maryland has some right leaning Catholics in their more German heavy counties. Is Louisville or Kentucky the same? Wouldn't be surprised. But, I think as a whole, Catholics lean left even if they don't like abortion. One of my friends is a hardcore "progressive leftist" and even he is pro-life. But he's always voting Democrat because he's not a one issue voter. I think most Catholics fall along those lines.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2015, 08:23 PM
 
6,766 posts, read 14,107,950 times
Reputation: 3115
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Also lived in Baltimore, a very heavy Catholic area that leans left. My family is from Massachusetts, too and they're Portuguese Catholics. Massachusetts itself is pretty left leaning and Catholic.

Do I discredit what you're saying that right wing Catholics exist? No. But they're more the exception. Fact is most Catholics lean left in economics, and in terms of gov't role, they also align with the Democratic party.

Although Maryland has some right leaning Catholics in their more German heavy counties. Is Louisville or Kentucky the same? Wouldn't be surprised. But, I think as a whole, Catholics lean left even if they don't like abortion. One of my friends is a hardcore "progressive leftist" and even he is pro-life. But he's always voting Democrat because he's not a one issue voter. I think most Catholics fall along those lines.
Not conservative, mainstream catholics. The Catholic church teaches that if a politician if for something like abortion, then you should not vote for them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2015, 02:11 AM
 
27 posts, read 32,809 times
Reputation: 35
ok.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2015, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
6,517 posts, read 9,382,378 times
Reputation: 5038
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Also lived in Baltimore, a very heavy Catholic area that leans left. My family is from Massachusetts, too and they're Portuguese Catholics. Massachusetts itself is pretty left leaning and Catholic.

Do I discredit what you're saying that right wing Catholics exist? No. But they're more the exception. Fact is most Catholics lean left in economics, and in terms of gov't role, they also align with the Democratic party.

Although Maryland has some right leaning Catholics in their more German heavy counties. Is Louisville or Kentucky the same? Wouldn't be surprised. But, I think as a whole, Catholics lean left even if they don't like abortion. One of my friends is a hardcore "progressive leftist" and even he is pro-life. But he's always voting Democrat because he's not a one issue voter. I think most Catholics fall along those lines.
So because you've lived in Baltimore and Chicago you presume Catholics in all other major cities are the same? And you're saying Catholics in Indianapolis are going to be leftists just because they're Catholic? That's a heck of an assumption.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 03:07 AM
 
1,523 posts, read 1,458,310 times
Reputation: 1542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Not conservative, mainstream catholics. The Catholic church teaches that if a politician if for something like abortion, then you should not vote for them.
What you say may very well be true however, you have to admit that cities with large Catholic populations are generally cities labeled as liberal cities.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 09:46 AM
 
6,766 posts, read 14,107,950 times
Reputation: 3115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
What you say may very well be true however, you have to admit that cities with large Catholic populations are generally cities labeled as liberal cities.
I agree. But it isn't usually the catholics who are liberal. Even cities that are smaller that have very large Catholic populations like Louisville and New Orleans are liberal.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 10:38 AM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
10,100 posts, read 21,543,944 times
Reputation: 9724
Most people don't agree 100% with either party and pick an issue that decides there vote. For example, most Black Democrats are more against gay marriage than White Republicans. Many Black voters disagree with Obama on that issue but still vote for him because safety net programs are their top concern. Many rural Republican areas have a large percent of their population on welfare and yet those welfare dependent voters vote for people who vow to kick people off welfare. Why? Because those voters care more about national security, maintaining marriage as it was, and lax gun laws.

Catholic areas tend to be more urban and industrial. Those voters are socially conservative but value pro union and workers' rights more than abortion, so they often vote Democrat.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 11:36 AM
 
1,523 posts, read 1,458,310 times
Reputation: 1542
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Most people don't agree 100% with either party and pick an issue that decides there vote. For example, most Black Democrats are more against gay marriage than White Republicans. Many Black voters disagree with Obama on that issue but still vote for him because safety net programs are their top concern. Many rural Republican areas have a large percent of their population on welfare and yet those welfare dependent voters vote for people who vow to kick people off welfare. Why? Because those voters care more about national security, maintaining marriage as it was, and lax gun laws.

Catholic areas tend to be more urban and industrial. Those voters are socially conservative but value pro union and workers' rights more than abortion, so they often vote Democrat.
I hear what you are saying. People associate cities with large Black populations as being liberal cities. However, liberal cities such as San Francisco, Seattle, Austin, Portland and Denver have a large Catholic populations and a very small African American presence. Each of those cities are the top 25 most Catholic cities and not union stronghold cities.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2015, 01:23 AM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
5,595 posts, read 4,563,357 times
Reputation: 4046
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
I was part of a discussion where someone said Indianapolis has more in common with Minneapolis than Louisville. Just because one is part of the Midwest and the other is part of the South doesn't really define their characteristics. Louisville has a lot of Midwest characteristics, don't you think? Indianapolis and Louisville have a lot in common because of their location and proximity to each other. I didn't realize there was a major wall that divided the two states of Indiana and Kentucky and there were no attributes between the two. Think of the sporting culture, food, and overall culture of Indianapolis and Louisville versus Indianapolis and Minneapolis.

What city do you think Indianapolis is more like? Louisville or Minneapolis?
Neither.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top