Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 11:43 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Technically, Louisville is in the South. Indy may be north of it but Nashville and Tennessee are also south of it. Louisville is just as different as South Bend is to Indy. Indianapolis is more of a cross roads type community making it more neutral than Louisville. The demographics are not exactly the same. It doesn't make West Virginia culturally part of the northeast because it borders PA. Louisville is as Southern as Southern fried chicken. If it snows in Indy it may be sleeting down in Louisville due to temperature differences. You have to make the transition somewhere.
I see what you're getting at, but I have to disagree with you to a point. Louisville may be in the south, because it's south of the Ohio river, south of the Mason Dixon Line, or because it's in Kentucky, but then what does that make Jeffersonville Indiana right across the river? Is that the transitional line that divides huge cultural differences?

Louisville is nowhere near as southern as deep southern cities like Birmingham, Atlanta, Mobile, Montgomery, Savannah, Nashville, Memphis, and Baton Rouge. Most people from urban areas of Louisville barely have an accent. Cincinnati is just on the other side of the river, and I don't consider it much of a southern city, although it is very different from the rest of Ohio.

Also, I confess I don't really see the analogy you're drawing between Indy and South Bend. Yes, they are hugely different cities, but I would say Louisville has more in common with Indy than South Bend does with Indy. Louisville and Indianapolis are separated by barely 114 miles of interstate, you won't find the weather that much different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 12:07 PM

213 posts, read 322,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
I wish Indy was more like Minneapolis but it is not... barely.

Don't actually know Louisville but the metro areas in the lower Midwest are all very similar. Bland.
Louisville isn't in the lower Midwest. It's on the edge of the Upper South and a Southern city. That alone makes it much more different from Indy than Minneapolis. And the lower Midwest is about as different from the Upper Midwest as the Upper South is from the Deep South. Different, but not to the point they are in totally different regions.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy18 View Post
"Culture"....lol, we're comparing Indianapolis and Louisville here. A couple of fine places to live, but this isn't a comparison between New York and San Francisco. People generally do the same things in both of these two cities. I said in my initial post that there are plenty of differences between these cities. Each is unique. But you don't magically cross into a different world when you drive over 100 miles of Indiana cornfield. The pace and feel of these two places is very similar.

As to "cuisine"....There are fine independent restaurant in both cities, as there is in any city with over a million people. Bust out google and type in the genre of restaurant that you want, and you will find plenty of decent restaurants. I've ate at great hole in the walls in both cities.

Demographics? Indy has a larger Hispanic population, but these two cities aren't that different.

Care to actually debate me on the merits? The insults make you look pretty childish, especially when we're comparing Indianapolis and Louisville for Christ's sake. I didn't realize that an Indy-Louisville debate could gin up such intense emotion. Dousing your comments with insults makes it seem that you aren't very confident in what you're saying.
LOL!!!! Please stop. You make yourself look more ridiculous with each word. Louisville was serving sweet tea and other types of Southern cuisine long before it made its way north of the Ohio River...Louisville is known for bourbon as well, also a SOuthern thing. Indy is more of a beer city and has traditionally been known for more of your meat-and-potatoes Midwest style of dining. EVERY CITY HAS FINE HIGH-END RESTAURANTS. As far as demographics go, 1 in 3 Louisvillians are Southern Baptists, VERY different from heavily Catholic Indy. That's just the beginning of the differences, unlike your poorly explained ones. If you have anything else you want to say to me, I suggest burning it up. I have no reason to listen to somebody who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I see what you're getting at, but I have to disagree with you to a point. Louisville may be in the south, because it's south of the Ohio river, south of the Mason Dixon Line, or because it's in Kentucky, but then what does that make Jeffersonville Indiana right across the river? Is that the transitional line that divides huge cultural differences?

Louisville is nowhere near as southern as deep southern cities like Birmingham, Atlanta, Mobile, Montgomery, Savannah, Nashville, Memphis, and Baton Rouge. Most people from urban areas of Louisville barely have an accent. Cincinnati is just on the other side of the river, and I don't consider it much of a southern city, although it is very different from the rest of Ohio.

Also, I confess I don't really see the analogy you're drawing between Indy and South Bend. Yes, they are hugely different cities, but I would say Louisville has more in common with Indy than South Bend does with Indy. Louisville and Indianapolis are separated by barely 114 miles of interstate, you won't find the weather that much different.
I'd have to disagree that Indy has more in common with Louisville than it does with South Bend. From a historical, cultural, and demographics perspective, Indy has A LOT more in common with South Bend than Louisville. What's next? Indy is more like Louisville than Chicago or Detroit? Please...that makes Indy more of a Southern city than a Midwestern one. Not under my watch.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:10 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
I don't really view Louisville as that southern of a city. It feels more midwestern than southern.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:25 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I don't really view Louisville as that southern of a city. It feels more midwestern than southern.
The further north you go the less Kentuckish it becomes. Jeffersonville will likely have more people from the Kentucky side than Indy would. You will also have more transplants from Tennessee in Louisville than you would in Indy. I use to live in Cincy it does have way more Kentucky transplants per capita than Indy. I know some of them personally. Kentucky has more of the Blugrass southern style theme while states that I lived in like Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and North Carolina have their own southern flavor. I don't really count Florida because of how different Miami is culturally. Indianapolis is more of a cross roads and does not have the same demographic southern transplant population that Louisville has. You can't write off the rest of Kentucky and Tennessee. I only speak from all my years living in both the Midwest and the South.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:30 PM

261 posts, read 500,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlst View Post
LOL!!!! Please stop. You make yourself look more ridiculous with each word. Louisville was serving sweet tea and other types of Southern cuisine long before it made its way north of the Ohio River...Louisville is known for bourbon as well, also a SOuthern thing. Indy is more of a beer city and has traditionally been known for more of your meat-and-potatoes Midwest style of dining. EVERY CITY HAS FINE HIGH-END RESTAURANTS. As far as demographics go, 1 in 3 Louisvillians are Southern Baptists, VERY different from heavily Catholic Indy. That's just the beginning of the differences, unlike your poorly explained ones. If you have anything else you want to say to me, I suggest burning it up. I have no reason to listen to somebody who doesn't know what they're talking about.

I'm not just talking about high-end restaurants you hyper wound-up fool. I'm talking about a variety of moderately priced ethnic restaurants that can be found all over either city. These are the types of things you know when you've lived in both cities like I have.

If you go back to post 140, you will see that I initially gave a very polite and cordial response to you. You are certainly free to your opinion and I don't really care if you agree with me or not, but it's a shame that you had to respond like a delusional ranting lunatic. I tried to debate this with class and respect like a normal person. Too bad you couldn't.

But I guess that you've resulted to whinny name calling to divert attention from your weak and factually incorrect arguments. For example, let's look at your incorrect assertion that Indy is "heavily Catholic" in comparison to Louisville. As of 2006, the Indy metro area had 232,273 Catholics, which represented 9.6% of the metro population. The Louisville metro area had 196,858 Catholics, which represented 16.6% of the population. So as the unarguable statistics show, Louisville actually has a greater percentage of Catholics than Indy. I'm certainly glad that I didn't believe your foolish ramblings. So much for Indy being "heavily Catholic" in comparison to Louisville.

Source: The Official Catholic Directory, 2006

Scroll down about 2/3 of the way where it lists the stats of the 176 largest metro areas. Read it and weep, chump:

AskACatholic.com - 2006 Catholic Population in the USA

Got any other weak arguments that I can shred with facts and experience from living in these two cities?

Old 07-27-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy18 View Post
I'm not just talking about high-end restaurants you hyper wound-up fool. I'm talking about a variety of moderately priced ethnic restaurants that can be found all over either city. These are the types of things you know when you've lived in both cities like I have.

If you go back to post 140, you will see that I initially gave a very polite and cordial response to you. You are certainly free to your opinion and I don't really care if you agree with me or not, but it's a shame that you had to respond like a delusional ranting lunatic. I tried to debate this with class and respect like a normal person. Too bad you couldn't.

But I guess that you've resulted to whinny name calling to divert attention from your weak and factually incorrect arguments. For example, let's look at your incorrect assertion that Indy is "heavily Catholic" in comparison to Louisville. As of 2006, the Indy metro area had 232,273 Catholics, which represented 9.6% of the metro population. The Louisville metro area had 196,858 Catholics, which represented 16.6% of the population. So as the unarguable statistics show, Louisville actually has a greater percentage of Catholics than Indy. I'm certainly glad that I didn't believe your foolish ramblings. So much for Indy being "heavily Catholic" in comparison to Louisville.

Source: The Official Catholic Directory, 2006

Scroll down about 2/3 of the way where it lists the stats of the 176 largest metro areas. Read it and weep, chump:

AskACatholic.com - 2006 Catholic Population in the USA

Got any other weak arguments that I can shred with facts and experience from living in these two cities?
I'm a fool. Takes one to know one. I knew Louisville was Catholic, but it has a WAY Higher percentage of Southern Baptists than Indy does. that is indisputable. Indy doesn't have anywhere near close to those amounts. You can find restaurants. Whinny name calling, huh? You seem to be as engaged in that as me. Your arguments are weak as hell. Everything that comes out of you is screams hypocrite. Class and respect? Please. As far as restaurants you describe, you can find those in ANY city. So your arguments come out as weak as mine. And as far as dialect is concerned, linguistics maps place Indy on more or a plain with Minneaopolis. There are more similarities between an Upper Midwest accent and a general American accent than between an General American accent and a Southern accent. If your ears aren't phonetically adapted to tell that Indy's accent is much different than Louisville's, you need to get your hearing aids checked. I have nothing else to say to you. Get lost.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:35 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,535 times
I am going to say this. Louisville is sort of in the middle being closer to the Midwest transition being less southern than it's neighbor Nashville to the south but less Midwestern than Indy to the north. Now by definition of the "Deep South" like Alabama where I once grew up Louisville is not even a part of it. I'm less likely to get my pinto beans and corn bread in Louisville along with some garden home grown fried green maters. As for Indianapolis or Indiana, it's Yankee territory according to most folks in the deep south. Making any suggestions of it being "southern southern" would be laughable in the South. I know the Midwest, South, and Northeast well enough to know who has what because I have roots in all three. I use to tease my uncle from Philly who moved to Texas that he is officially a "Southerner". I would put another name but don't want offend anyone here. It's all fun here.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:01 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times
Yikes, this thread has become nasty and personal! Where's the moderator?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis