Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 01:10 PM

4 posts, read 34,529 times

Advertisements

Thank you Chicagoland92...I was hoping to talk to some people that were familiar with Whitestown. We don't have any children so the school systems don't really matter. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 03:37 PM

667 posts, read 2,887,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmallen View Post
We don't have any children so the school systems don't really matter.
You don't have any children........yet.

When my wife and I bought our house we never really looked at the school district, other than to know that it had a good reputation. We had children almost immediately after we bought the house and once our son started school, we find out it's not as nice as what we thought. Now we can't afford to move.

In other words - plan ahead just in case.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:55 AM

3 posts, read 26,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmallen View Post
My husband and I are moving out of the city(indianapolis). We want to live in Zionsville but can't afford it. Whitestown seems like the next best option. There's a new neighborhood that's in our price range. Not many people know much about Whitestown. We are black and worry that we might have problems here. Most people here seem friendly but I've only been out there a few times. I want to feel safe. That's why I want out of the city. Thanks!
My family and I live in Whitestown. We're in one of the newer subdivisions so it's almost like a city unto itself. The people are all very friendly here. The majority of families are white, so I don't know if that's a problem to you. It's a very quiet place to live, not much happens here. Hardly any crime - our town marshal works hard to keep it that way. I can't imagine you'd have any problem here.

Just don't drink the water.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 12,395 times
Hi cmallen,

We live in Whitestown, I am hispanic though my husband is not. There are 2 black families that live on our street. It's true that it's mainly white but the people who live here are very nice and unassuming. There's a great group called Women of Walker Farms which just started up.
We moved here the same reason as everyone else did - low property taxes! I wouldn't send my children to the Lebanon school district (well I wouldn't ever send my kids to public schools ) and luckily a lot of parents here enroll theirs in Zionsville's school of choice. Really easy to get into it. But there's a great Christian private school you may be interested in too (tpcs.org).

The women's group:
http://womenofwalkerfarms.freeforums.org

Old 12-04-2007, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 13,471 times
whitestown is mostly if not all white people and the school district (lebanon) is the same, if this is an issue for you.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:30 PM

4 posts, read 34,529 times
Walker Farms is where we are moving to! I will be sure to check out the site. Our home will be done in 6 months. I want to get crime watch started too(I did not see any crime watch signs). I am very happy to hear that it's a friendly neighborhood! It seemed that way! Thanks!

Old 02-04-2008, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 12,323 times
Default Whitestown needs diversity (and a name change)!

We live north of Whitestown and like the area but we don't spend any time in the town itself (there isn't much to do there). It's very safe and the neighbors are all nice. There is one Hispanic family that lives near us but otherwise everyone seems to be Caucasian. We're transplants from the East Coast so we were a little surprised by how white it is here (although we're Caucasian ourselves), so we'd welcome some diversity in Whitestown. Maybe I'm just overly-PC, but I hate the name Whitestown and wish the town would change it!

p.s. Where we live has a Whitestown address but is in Zionsville school district. We didn't have kids when we moved here but now we do so we're happy we paid attention to that.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:08 PM

21 posts, read 70,269 times
I'm from Indy. Just moved to Seattle, WA last year. But anyway yeah, anywhere in Whitestown, Lebanon, Carmel, Zionsville, it's mostly caucastions. African Americans live in different areas a bit further south like in Marion County. For example, College Park, Park 100 area, 86th & Ditch, Castleton, etc.

Not saying you shouldn't move to the northwest area, but just saying those are fancier, yuppier parts of town. Coming from a person who's lived in Zionsville most of her life, I KNOW it's somewhat racial there. Was like maybe two black people in the entire Zionsville High School. Also Carmel is just as bad, if not worse. Many rich people there.

Whitestown is a bit smaller though so you may have better luck. I'd say do some research and actually visit there too though before making your final decision. Also it's more costly to live in those parts of town.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:54 AM

11 posts, read 61,914 times
Unhappy Hmmm....here's my experience

Hi,
Just wanted to share that I have no PERSONAL knowledge of Whitestown, but a few years back I was selling home for a home builder on Indy's south side and had a customer I was working with that was a minister. (some minister he was....read on below)

He came in my office one day after he'd written his contract wanting to cancel. See, while he was looking to buy, he had asked me some very rude questions like, "Any __ggers living around here? " etc. I thought, you idiot.....once this neighborhood gets a load of your wife's decorating...."

Anyway, Fair Housing prevents me from answering those questions (and my therapist----cuz I might have to beat his *ss. ha) It is not lawful to provide details to any prospective client as to the ratial makeup of the community in which I am selling. I cannot steer clients of any race to any lot/location/area that they might be more "comfortable" in, etc. Even if they are a sweet black couple and I know they are picking the lot next to the biggest racist in the neighborhood.

Anyway, back to my story.....
So the "minister" said he had the nerve to go knocking on doors and realized the diversity in my community (I hope he met my gay guys while he was at it...) and decided that he and "wifey" are moving to Whitestown.

I will never forget that dude. He counseled young teens. uggh.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:06 PM

164 posts, read 310,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieanne View Post
Hi cmallen,

We moved here the same reason as everyone else did - low property taxes! I wouldn't send my children to the Lebanon school district (well I wouldn't ever send my kids to public schools
Why? What's wrong with Lebanon public school district?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis