Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 07:47 AM

5 posts, read 11,735 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to move to Irvington in on one year. I have some questions/concerns. Please feel free to pick the questions that you are comfortable with and disregard the others?

1) Is the area getting better, worse or staying about the same?

2) I'll have a junior in high school, what public high school choices are there? If not good, are there any affordable private schools in the alternative?

3) Is the area gay friendly--something of critical importance for our family?

4) Would this be considered a liberal pocket? It's important for my family to live around like-minded people.

5) Do many of the streets do block parties and what-not?

6) What future improvements, if any, do you see happening to the area?

7) What is crime like now? How is it trending?

8) Some metropolitan areas have attractive artist relocation programs. Does Indy, by chance, have one?

Despite the amount of questions, I'm quite excited to move to the area. I hope it works out.

Thank you for your answers in advance.

Paddle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 08:13 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,275,413 times
I live just west of Irvington, closer to downtown. I am in Irvington a lot.

1) It is not getting worse. It is pretty stable. Getting better? I guess that depends on what specifically you are asking.

2) Irvington Community Schools is the neighborhood charter. I am sure you are too late to get in this year. Warren Township is the school district just east of Irvington and probably has open spots for the fall. Otherwise Irvington is in the IPS boundary and the default IPS school is Howe. Howe was taken over by charter schools USA.

3) I guess..........it isn't gay unfriendly and there are some gay people living in Irvington

4) I won't answer that question.

5) Irvington has community events. Block parties, I am not sure. My street has a block party, but I am not in Irvington.

6) They just finished the Washington Street streetscape, and got the Indy East motel torn down. What other improvements are asking about?

7) It is stable.

8) no idea

Old 07-18-2013, 08:18 AM

Thank you, Toxic Toast.

I just realized that I failed to answer a question you posed back to me, so I've edited my response.

I am aware of the changes to the Washginton Street Streetscape and the Indy East Motel. I'm guessing that took a little time before it came to fruition. I was wondering if anything else like that was in the works? Or if any new businesses/restaurants were coming to the area?

I would like to add that it seems like, at least from afar, people have a tremendous amount of pride in this neighborhood.

Again, thank you!

Last edited by paddlepaddle; 07-18-2013 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: I failed to answer a question.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:14 AM

The streetscape took some time because it was a donation fueled neighborhood project. The city didn't pay for it as far as I know. They (Irvington Development Co) had to raise $250K to get a federal grant to fund the project. This might be interesting for you to read about the project.

The motel was owned by a guy who did not get along with the neighborhood. The neighborhood was constantly trying to get the place shut down, and the owner was always willing to fight. It was a long battle to finally get the place shut down. As far as new places, a new ice cream shop opened up on Washington Street. It is a nice little place to walk to. Lazy Daze recently closed down, maybe someone will open something up in that space. There is plenty of small spaces to open up some small shops on the main drag. There is an open spot at the corner of Washington and Ritter that, rumor has it, is about to be fixed up and filled.

Yes, Irvington has a lot of pride in itself, and it is well deserved. Most people assume that because it is on the east side is has to be suffering from crime and neglect. But its not.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:57 AM

I really appreciate your response, Toxic Toast. I enjoyed the article you linked. You have yourself a great day!

Old 07-20-2013, 09:24 AM

37 posts, read 75,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlepaddle View Post
I'm hoping to move to Irvington in on one year. I have some questions/concerns. Please feel free to pick the questions that you are comfortable with and disregard the others?

2) I'll have a junior in high school, what public high school choices are there? If not good, are there any affordable private schools in the alternative?

4) Would this be considered a liberal pocket? It's important for my family to live around like-minded people.

8) Some metropolitan areas have attractive artist relocation programs. Does Indy, by chance, have one?

Despite the amount of questions, I'm quite excited to move to the area. I hope it works out.

Thank you for your answers in advance.

Paddle
I've lived in Irvington for 11years, though have only engaged the neighborhood for the past 6.

1) as for vibrancy and community, it is getting better. I can not speak for every side street, but I do not sense that people are unhappy or leaving.

2) Plenty of schools, lots of choices, I am not an expert.

3) yes, I am and my neighbors are amazing!

4) In my experience, yes. Open minded, progressive liberals mixed with open minded conservatives (mostly)

5) depends on the street. My particular street is a lot more festive during the holidays. We have yet to have a summer block party. Irvington proper really goes after fall, specifically halloween.

6) Mass Transit line. Potential for lots of local entrepreneurial activity supported by increased density. Adding to the Pennsy Trail (near future) will enhance bike and running culture.

7) N/A I would say Irvington is like greater Indianapolis ....every street is different. My experience is no crime, but I can't speak for all of Irvington.

8) That's a great question that I have no answer for. Home - IndyArts.org perhaps this would be a good starting point?

Old 07-20-2013, 09:38 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
I met a nice young lady who has attended the Irvington Community Schools since kindergarten. She is going into 8th grade and absolutely loves it and to have an middle schooler tell you they love school ... well, there you go. You never know who is going to not show up to school, so there may be spots that open up literally, the day they start ...

Old 04-08-2014, 10:39 AM

40 posts, read 83,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlepaddle View Post

Paddle
1) I think Indianapolis in general has made some enormous strides over the last 20 or 30 years. The city was in bad shape in the 1960s. It's got a long way to go, but it's making definite progress. Irvington was a pretty ritzy part of town in 1900 and declined with the rest of the city (especially when Butler University moved to another part of town). But I think it's holding it's own all right today.

2) Irvington Prep Academy is in an old orphanage on University Ave. I don't have kids, but I know Indianapolis Public Schools in general are notoriously awful. Marian College has to give out Master's degrees to student teachers who consent to teach here. They pair it with a program in Gary, which really tells you something. I considered it, but talked to a school administrator and he warned me not to get involved in any way with IPS. Lots of families send their kids to Catholic schools here, even non-Catholics, because they're just way better.

3) Not gay-unfriendly, but it's not Portland or Frisco or Bloomington. I wouldn't air your sexuality too openly, but I wouldn't be worried, either.

4) Bloomington is the only truly liberal pocket in Indiana. Everywhere else is a mix. For myself, I think Bloomington is pretentious and annoying and has plenty of problems of its own (mostly related to having too much East Coast/Chicago money floating around.) I'd say Irvington is pretty middle-of-the-road. Maybe left-leaning but not outrageously so. I'm generally pretty liberal and I don't feel uncomfortable or out of place here.

5) Occasional street festival, otherwise I've never seen any block parties, and wouldn't really want to.

6) Future improvements: I get the sense that Irvington is going to be gentrified in 20 or 30 years. Honestly, I think it could use a little gentrification around the edges, it's kind of shabby here and there, but it has a unique character now and I definitely don't want to see it turn into Broad Ripple. There's only a couple of higher-end drinking holes here, which seems to be the main lure for the young-professional crowd. But really the "entertainment district" is just one tiny block at Washington & Audubon. A Starbucks, a couple restaurants, a brew pub. (Plus some dirt-cheap and amazing Mexican restaurants. La Escollera on E. Washington St.: decent dinner + tip will set you back about $5.00.) Until more restaurants open up, and until the Near East Side between Irvington and downtown gets cleaned up, I don't think Irvington is going to be all that hyped, definitely not on the level of Broad Ripple or Fountain Square. (Though FYI: Fountain Square seems downright creepy and seedy to me, compared to Irvington. But I really dislike the whole urban hipster vibe. You might dig it.)

7) Crime is pretty low in Irvington. You have to drive through the proverbial white ghetto in every direction to get out of Irvington, but honestly I've never had any trouble. Parts of Washington St. looks like a real dive, and the occasional face tattoo makes me want to move to the desert. But I think unless you go out looking for trouble, you're good.

8) I keep hearing that Irvington is "artsy," but haven't noticed a ton of it. It's cheap, which ought to attract artists. I just don't see what everybody's talking about when they say "artsy." All the so-called artists seem to flock to Fountain Square and Broad Ripple and put on lame shows (been to a few, nothing too impressive.) I highly doubt that Indy has anything like an artist relocation program. There's a fabulous art museum here (I've been to some of the best art museums in the U.S. and Europe and the Indianapolis Museum of Art is one of the greatest I've ever seen, an incredible local resource). But overall, this city isn't exactly an arts mecca. Could be. But it's still in the making.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor336 View Post
2) Irvington Prep Academy is in an old orphanage on University Ave. I don't have kids, but I know Indianapolis Public Schools in general are notoriously awful. Marian College has to give out Master's degrees to student teachers who consent to teach here. They pair it with a program in Gary, which really tells you something. I considered it, but talked to a school administrator and he warned me not to get involved in any way with IPS. Lots of families send their kids to Catholic schools here, even non-Catholics, because they're just way better.
The highest rated school in the state is an IPS school.

IPS has a bad rep; but there are good schools and good options for those that seek out those options. I know many teachers and families that are involved in IPS and like it just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis