Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,813 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! We are a family considering relocation to Columbus, Indiana for a job opportunity. We have 2 small children in elementary school and they will probably attend St. Bartholomew (they attend a Catholic school in our current city and we would like to continue with another Catholic school assuming the academics are strong). After significant amount of research on the area, we are confident that we would like to purchase a home in Columbus (vs. Greenwood or another location with longer commute to work). However, given the information that I have been able to find through these forums, real estate agents, and my other searches online, I still have many questions about the area that I am hoping someone can help answer.

1. Housing
We are looking for at least 3, but preferable 4 bedrooms and at least 2 bathrooms. A decent size yard, 2+ garage, and strong community feel with small children/families is most preferred. We would love to live in/around downtown area for the walkability; however, we have noticed there isn't much inventory available right now. While we enjoy older homes, we aren't looking for major renovation projects with this move. We have also considered Tipton Lakes and we will be looking at new construction in Fox Ridge (Drees) and Deer Creek (not sure of builder). My husband would prefer the new build neighborhoods, but I am concerned about living in a new build neighborhood where there will be construction ongoing for many months/years; plus I would prefer mature landscaping. Any feedback or comments on these neighborhoods would be greatly appreciated. Also, can anyone clarify the streets to stay around for downtown living with greatest amount of families / community feel?

2. Golf/Swim/Tennis/Gym Memberships
We noticed that Harrison Lakes Golf Club seems to offer the most together in terms of having golf, swim and tennis in one location. But it seems we need to still consider something like Tipton Lakes Athletic Club for gym/workout location. Also, does Harrison Lakes GC has a swim team or would we need to put our kids in Donner Swim Club? Does Tipton Lakes have a community pool and community swim team? Are there Tennis teams / clubs in Tipton Lakes? We are very active and would love to have one location that could offer all of these amenities, but I am not sure if that is possible in Columbus. Any advice / any other possibilities?

We are planning a site visit soon, but I would like to be armed with as much information as possible to make the most of our visit. Thank you in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 08:54 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,590,006 times
Housing ... no problem ... find yourself a good realtor and you'll be aces in that department. I live in a mature neighborhood, no HOA that is walking/biking distance to St. B's (lots of St. B's families live here for that reason). Tipton is lovely, but we didn't want to HOA hassle and like you, I love my old growth trees and being treated like an adult when it comes to making improvements to my home without worrying about nosey nellies. I hate HOA's.

Golf: Otter Creek and Harrison Lakes have golf teams for 14 and unders in the spring. My daughter played for Otter Creek and loved every minute of it. Greenbelt and Par 3 are nice public courses in town.

Gyms: most in my area go to Total Fitness, but if you are out at Tipton, you'll be closer, but the only thing you'll lack there is a pool.

Swim Club: Donner Donner Donner ... I was the president of the club a couple years ago and now coach. Questions? Ask ME! It's the only swim club in Bartholomew County. There are swim opportunities, non-competitive at Foundation for Youth. We also started up a triathlon club this summer as Columbus has 2 youth triathlons during the summer.

Feel free to direct message me ... been here 7 years and we love it.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,082 times
My family and I are also relocating to Columbus in about 3 weeks. We are very excited! I was looking for some recommendations for a few things. Even though I've done plenty of research online, it's definitely not the same as having someone familiar with the area and what it has to offer. So, here's what I'm looking for...

Preschool (for my three year old) First Presbyterian was recommended, but was full :-(
A female and male primary care physician
A female gynecologist
Dentist
Eye care doctor/center

I think that's it...for now. I should have made a list! There's so much to think about when you're moving to a new place. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-31-2013, 11:31 AM

622 posts, read 1,190,301 times
Cummins?

Old 10-31-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAnn0506 View Post
My family and I are also relocating to Columbus in about 3 weeks. We are very excited! I was looking for some recommendations for a few things. Even though I've done plenty of research online, it's definitely not the same as having someone familiar with the area and what it has to offer. So, here's what I'm looking for...

Preschool (for my three year old) First Presbyterian was recommended, but was full :-(
A female and male primary care physician
A female gynecologist
Dentist
Eye care doctor/center

I think that's it...for now. I should have made a list! There's so much to think about when you're moving to a new place. Thanks in advance!
sorry I'm just seeing this. Welcome to Columbus! I'll pm you some recommendations, but it's a bummer 1st pres. is full … we loved it there! Learning Tree at First UM and Little Seeds at Asbury Methodist are also good!

Old 12-25-2013, 11:49 AM

4 posts, read 6,941 times
Domergurl,
I realize there are PM restrictions now. I mentioned I would be at IUPUI. I actually should have said, IUPUC..confused with all the acronym s..my apologies. .
Thanks for all your help..
Shana

Old 12-25-2013, 04:53 PM

I sent you a PM … did you get it? IUPUC is a whole other issue

Most neighborhoods close to IUPUC will allow you to walk or bike to campus!

Old 02-09-2014, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,504 times
I am considering relocating to Columbus. I have a high school daughter very active in soccer, basketball, volleyball who is interested in technology and animation. What are the options for her there. I work in the legal field, what are the jobs like there?

Old 02-15-2014, 04:49 PM

The school system has a technology based/project based learning high school called Columbus Signature Academy New Tech. Both North and East have tech based learning paths. As far as animation, I really do not know.

Columbus North and East are tops in girls soccer in the state. Columbus North is top 5 for girl's basketball and East is a perennial state powerhouse in volleyball. All sports, if you choose, can be played year round.

As far as jobs in the legal field. There are small legal offices here in town, as well as a large legal department at Cummins.

Sorry I was late in getting to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis