Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 11:10 AM

12 posts, read 59,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billman5000 View Post
CoonMoon said: "state Republicans kill light-rail bills. Can't fix stupid."

The mass transit bill introduced earlier this year came from the Republicans. Its chief sponsor was a Republican from Carmel.

Indy is one of the most sparsely-populated large cities in the US, making rail transport an idiotic waste of money.
Brent Waltz R-Greenwood was who I had in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 11:14 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,014,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Indianapolis' particle polluted is no worst than most major U.S. cities and it's ozone pollution is better than most.
Okay, like some Indy residents with their head in the sand; Indy is great!

Old 10-03-2013, 11:54 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoonMoon View Post
That guy is a tool for sure.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:49 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Quote:
Yeah, nobody has any idea why this guy thinks what he does.

On the subject of transit, if changing the rail on the nickel plate line from Noblesville to downtown to bus rapid transit will get the bill passed, I'm all for it. Just get it done!

Old 10-03-2013, 02:37 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,911,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Okay, like some Indy residents with their head in the sand; Indy is great!
Although Indy is my hometown I haven't been a resident since the early 70s. I'm there a lot because of my parents. My head isn't in the sand. Just about every major metropolitan area including those by oceans you love to boast about has pollution issues. Like I said Indy isn't the lone wolf.

American Lung Association State of the Air 2013 - Most Polluted Cities

Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,980,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
UMM, Atlanta metro has over 6 million to Indys, 1.7
So naturally traffic is going to be worse, Atlanta has heavy rail at least.
No reason to be sarcastic, kiddo. I only acknowledge what I've experienced while living in both cities. Of course Atlanta is bigger that's just common knowledge.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:41 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,304 times
Quote:

The apartments are depressing and ugly. There might be 1 Built Green or LEED project in the entire city and its probably at/near the IUPUI campus.
Google (or just watching the news) is your friend.

Quote:
November 11, 2011

News Release

INDIANAPOLIS – The Indianapolis Airport Authority (IAA) is pleased to announce that the Indianapolis International Airport’s (IND) Midfield Terminal complex has earned Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification. IND is the first airport in the U.S. to win LEED certification for an entire terminal campus. The Midfield Terminal campus, at more than 1.2 million square feet, is among the largest projects to be awarded LEED certification.
The first in the nation. Two years ago.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,860 times
Central Indiana has been working on a transit plan for years. It includes walking, biking, express bus, light light rail. These projects take massive amounts of time, efforts, money, and public support across multiple counties and cities. That is why Indianapolis can't act alone, and needs support from the state legislature.

Indy Connect | A Central Indiana Public Transportation Initiative | Home

Just because a bill is introduced in the state legislature does not make it good/bad or affordable/unaffordable. People introduce bills all the time to make names for themselves. Read the bill you complain about before commenting, or at least read the summary. Also, it seems bigoted to me that people here are dismissing the efforts of a legislator to advance public transportation because (1) he is Republican and (2) he is from Carmel.

I am proud of the bipartisan progress that has been made just over the last five years in the city. (I dont work for the city, not a politician, etc. I'm just a resident, and I volunteer in multiple organizations).

In the last three years, we have added 75 miles of bike lanes and more sidewalks. The cultural trail has made the Mass Ave district much more ped friendly. I have friends that rarely use their cars now for the first time. There are plans to significantly reduce car traffic by adding commuting PT to Zionsville, Fishers, etc.

There is a new transit center plan under way in downtown which will make commuting via public transportation easier and more user friendly by providing central connections and automation. I think they start construction in 2015. IndyGo is added interactive signs at bus stops to show when the bus will arrive. IPhone app is coming, too. The city is in talks with google to provide real time bus location info to your phone.The bus fleet is being converted to more efficient models. Some new busses hit the streets last week. Some of the feet is natural gas. There a hybrid busses in the works. The city is talking to companies that allow bike rental by the hour so you can live in the suburbs and bike when downtown.

Current bus routes go all the way out to the suburbs. There are multiple bus stops along 86th street. In fact, in think there may be a stop very near CoonMoon's hotel. Wifi is available on most busses, but it can be spotty.

Busses in Indianapolis are heavily subsidized. Only 25% of the busses are paid for by bus fares. The federal government pays approx 40%. This is common, and is a big reason why the city and state want to be very careful to strike a good financial balance with fare affordability and tax dollars to fund public transit. They also need to obey federal guides and funding formulas.

The progress requires help. Instead of being negative and engaging in ad hominem attacks on politicians ("so-and-so is such a tool"), why not go meet those politicians? Why don't you attend public meetings, volunteer to help create better plans, join the Central Indiana Transit Task Force, join a cultural committee, or something else constructive?

CoonMoon, I recommend you find a place to rent in Broad Ripple. You will enjoy it much more, have public transportation, good local food, breweries, art galleries and studios, parks, great music scene, and be able to walk and bike everywhere.

I travel for a living. I have probably been to all of the largest 30 cities in the US and Canada. With a doubt, Indianapolis is one of the best cities in North America.

Your experience in a city is primarily defined and directed by YOU.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:23 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,087,268 times
Indy is awful? I don't think so. I just spent the last seven plus years in the Kansas City region and life there truly was pretty bad. I've been in Indy for a week now and already I can see a noticeable improvement to the quality of life here when compared to life in the KC area.

Every region has its good points and bad but to label the entire Indy region as awful is foolish. I can't even do that with KC despite the fact it has a lot of serious problems and people with a major attitude.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:20 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handdoc48 View Post
Current bus routes go all the way out to the suburbs. There are multiple bus stops along 86th street. In fact, in think there may be a stop very near CoonMoon's hotel. Wifi is available on most busses, but it can be spotty.
I agree with you on basically everything you said other than some stuff about IndyGo. First of all, I agree with you that 86th street is suburban, but most people in the metro area would refer to it as "the city". IndyGo doesn't go to the "real suburbs" at all. Secondly, I've never heard of wifi on IndyGo. Everything else was pretty spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis