Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 08:26 PM

10 posts, read 21,441 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me an idea what the northwest side of Indy is like? I'm looking to take a job in the area in between 79th and 71st, although nothing is set in stone. I'm not looking to live there, but having no idea about that area, is it safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 06:00 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
For the most part, it is a fine area to work. Between 71st and 79th on the northwest side is a pretty broad area. Park 100 is almost all warehouses and office space. I guess your safety in that area depends on what your work is.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:52 AM

thank you for the response! To be more specific, It's located off on Zionsville Rd.
I'm planning to check the area out this weekend, but I figured a jumpstart would be a good idea.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:55 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyandpearls11 View Post
thank you for the response! To be more specific, It's located off on Zionsville Rd.
I'm planning to check the area out this weekend, but I figured a jumpstart would be a good idea.
That's the heart of Park 100. Not much to see up there, it is all warehouses and offices with a couple hotels. There is a Steak N Shake at 71st and I-465, restaurants and a Starbucks in Trader's Point area (86th and Zionsville). Outside of the warehouses, it is a pretty quiet area. Pike High School is right at the corner of 71st and Z-ville Rd.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:58 AM

Perfect. Thank you so much! I was just worried it would be in a bad area. I've heard that south of 86 can get kind of dicey, but I guess that it depends on what side of the town you're on.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:12 AM

505 posts, read 940,719 times
Quote:
Perfect. Thank you so much! I was just worried it would be in a bad area. I've heard that south of 86 can get kind of dicey, but I guess that it depends on what side of the town you're on.
That also depends on whom you ask. I am buying a house just south of 86th. It's a nice working-class/lower-middle-class area. It's pretty safe. If you ask a Carmel resident, they might say it's dicey. Consider the source, always.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:09 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Quote:
I think anywhere in town you have to go way, way south of 86th Street to get into a dicey area. But TT told you exactly like what the are you are talking about is. A lot of warehouses and industrial buildings with retail along 86th Street.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:06 AM

156 posts, read 434,022 times
Yeah, that's a perfectly safe area to work in. There are some shady neighborhoods on the NW side but I wouldn't worry at all about the Zionsville Rd/71st-79th area.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:11 AM

31 posts, read 74,255 times
I worked in that area you describe for 9 years. It was very safe. We only had one "incident" in all those years and that was when one of the employees invited some associates from another company over for a night meeting and some of the laptops were missing the next morning. So it wasn't due to a break in, just a poor choice in who someone invited over for the meeting. Across I-465 from where I worked, there was a small park and I often saw people playing basketball over there at lunchtime. All in all, it was a fine place to work. My home is in Carmel and it only took about 20 minutes to drive to work, which was another plus!

Old 11-25-2013, 02:36 PM

9 posts, read 27,025 times
Quote:
Saying that south of 86th is dicey wipes out some fantastic, safe, livable neighborhoods. You won't see McMansions on miniscule yards, but there are tree-lined streets and settled communities where people know each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis