Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 08:50 PM

255 posts, read 414,022 times

Advertisements

At least 25 cars broken into, hundreds of dollars stolen in Avon | Fox 59
25 cars broken into in the Winton Meadows and Oaks of Avon subdivisions located on the east side of Avon btwn Dan Jones Road and Ronald Reagan Parkway. Anyone have thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 06:22 AM

5,974 posts, read 7,365,693 times
I think that's a vinyl village area if memory serves me correctly.

RM

Old 08-07-2016, 09:13 AM

8 posts, read 6,544 times
I have been reading lot of these post and it ceases to amaze me on how ignorant and self centered people are. You speak of race and income then automatically group african americans all in the same category, which clearly isn't the case. I am a married african american woman with two children. My husband and I are high school sweethearts, we've been together for 22 years. Are household income is over $130,000 a year. We are not criminals and don't know any. We are very educated people that wants what every hardworking American strives for. I want my children to live in a safe area and to receive a rewarding education. What makes your want and needs any different from ours. You talk about white flight, whatever that nonsense means, and would judge me and my family if we moved next door to you without knowing us, judging us because of what we look like, and not because of who we are. So, where do we fit in?

Old 08-07-2016, 10:34 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIgrl View Post
I have been reading lot of these post and it ceases to amaze me on how ignorant and self centered people are. You speak of race and income then automatically group african americans all in the same category, which clearly isn't the case. I am a married african american woman with two children. My husband and I are high school sweethearts, we've been together for 22 years. Are household income is over $130,000 a year. We are not criminals and don't know any. We are very educated people that wants what every hardworking American strives for. I want my children to live in a safe area and to receive a rewarding education. What makes your want and needs any different from ours. You talk about white flight, whatever that nonsense means, and would judge me and my family if we moved next door to you without knowing us, judging us because of what we look like, and not because of who we are. So, where do we fit in?
Are you seeking to move to Fishers? If so, why, and from where would you be moving?

Old 08-07-2016, 11:19 AM

We are from Menomonee Falls, WI. We are looking to move somewhere with better weather, reasonable taxes, and good schools. Wisconsin homes are way overpriced and the taxes are ridiculous. We also considered Minnesota. I do not want to live or raise my children in a city. We are looking for a nice suburban area with friendly , open minded people.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:33 PM

We were looking at Fishers and Carmel

Old 08-07-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
We are from Menomonee Falls, WI. We are looking to move somewhere with better weather, reasonable taxes, and good schools. Wisconsin homes are way overpriced and the taxes are ridiculous. We also considered Minnesota. I do not want to live or raise my children in a city. We are looking for a nice suburban area with friendly , open minded people.
Having lived in Port Washington, I can assure you that you won't see a significant difference in cost of living in Indianapolis compared to Wisconsin. Yes, property taxes are lower, but home prices are rising and depending on where you look are probably on par with the northwest Milwaukee County/Ozaukee County areas. I would certainly check on property tax adjustments - not sure what happens since the tax relief legislation was passed a few years back, but it's possible that taxes can readjust when a property is sold - meaning that the current owner's taxes won't apply to you, and the new taxes will be based on current market value. I'm sure a realtor could clarify this for you.

Heed the discussions well here. I say that because most of the newer areas shouldn't be an issue. However, should you choose to go rural you could very well see some veiled racism. Indy as a whole isn't bad, but if you get out into the surrounding areas there are pockets of people who still hold values from some years ago.

I had employees from rural areas west and southwest of the city and they were horribly intolerant. That's hardly a sample, but just a point that it's still there in some forms, but mostly outside the immediate metro area from my experience.

Wisconsin, at least southeast Wisconsin, is pretty colorblind to race and ethnic background, no doubt due to the large number of diverse groups that have settled and been there for many generations. That was one thing we really liked about Milwaukee. That is not the case in Indianapolis.

Weather won't be significantly different in the winter, either. The big difference you'll find will be less of the extremely low temperatures in January and February. Otherwise, you'll lose about two weeks or so off of the front and back ends of winter.

We always felt the quality of life was the best in Wisconsin of all the places we have lived to-date. That being said, there was a price to pay for it.

Good luck,

RM

Old 08-07-2016, 01:14 PM

Thank you for your statement. It's really difficult being a successful African American family. We are judged by non-blacks in the suburbs and do not feel safe in the city. But I really appreciate your comment. I guess we are just looking for a change. We lived in Milwaukee all of our lives, and noticed how drastically it has changed, crime wise, and did not want our children raised in that environment , this is why we moved to the Falls.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your statement. It's really difficult being a successful African American family. We are judged by non-blacks in the suburbs and do not feel safe in the city. But I really appreciate your comment. I guess we are just looking for a change. We lived in Milwaukee all of our lives, and noticed how drastically it has changed, crime wise, and did not want our children raised in that environment , this is why we moved to the Falls.
And the Falls are a great place relative to Indianapolis, believe me.

We originally moved up to Sheboygan from Indianapolis, and boy, was that an eye-opener! Very inclusive, tightly knit community of Dutch and German folks who have been there for many generations. I know what it's like to be an outsider after that! It was bad enough that we built a place on the bluffs just north of Port Washington a couple years later to get closer to Milwaukee and into a more diverse community.

The level of diversity that you experience in Milwaukee isn't remotely close to what it's like in Indianapolis. There are no clearly defined areas of ethnicities or races in the city like there are in Milwaukee. That's one thing we really loved about Milwaukee.

Indiana and Indianapolis has a not so pleasant past regarding race, but the areas where you're looking that's highly unlikely to be an issue. As with most issues like this, it's more a matter of lack of education and exposure to people and ideas different from one's own. If you go into outlying areas you'll still find signs of intolerance, but it's certainly less than it was 20-30 years ago.

I truly believe that within the metro area itself it's pretty rare.

I can understand your concerns regarding crime in the area, which is something that you won't find in Indianapolis to the same degree. It's certainly there, but not on the same scale that Milwaukee experiences, I believe.

I'm not trying to discourage you by any means, just trying to relate the differences as we found them going the other direction. Living in Port Washington was a really joy, as it was truly a small town environment where you felt very safe and knew all your neighbors. There was a lot of civic pride and the locals always made us feel at home and part of the community. We've never experienced it to that level anywhere else we have lived, that's all.

RM

Old 08-07-2016, 01:29 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,089,107 times
there is no way to say anything without sounding racist. personally I don't care if people think I am racist or not. I am not going to provide links for any of the things I am going to write so feel free to look up any of the information yourselves and if you find something that contradicts then I apologize. Black males make up approx. 6.5% of the US population but are responsible for 52% of all homicides. the media likes to use words like "there is a disproportionate amount of violent crimes attributed to certain minority groups" instead of just stating facts. I have always believed if you won't acknowledge the problem it can never be fixed, but there is a refusal to be honest and just be truthful.
Whenever they have lists of things like "best places to live, or best schools" you have to read what they use for criteria. for example. one article had Indiana's best high schools. along with grades and scores and graduation rates they also had a weighting for diversity. you could have a school have an A+ grade in every area but would get a C- in diversity because it was mostly white. this would drop the ranking below schools that were A- in most areas but A+ in diversity. I saw the same thing regarding best towns , if a town was more than 85% white it was not considered for the list. What I have heard (again no link) is that when a town starts crossing the 85% mark (nationally it's 66% white) crime starts to increase and schools start to go down hill.
So here is where I am clearly racist. When I look for towns to raise my kids I want a safe area, with great schools. Where are these areas? they are typically affluent areas with majority of white populations. So when I seek out towns I look at demographics and choose or rule out areas that are too diverse. Now with that said all of these areas have very affluent, highly educated , minorities. I would doubt in these areas you would experience overt racism. Kids will treat others just like anyone else. parents would be welcome as part of the community as anyone else. I think most would see the things that they have in common , not the minor differences. When you hear of White flight, it is because there are some major differences in things other than skin color. especially family structures and values, opinions and mindsets. I think when things come up like Black Lives Matter it causes a divide. Last I heard Black on White crimes were more prevalent than white on black (so again when you factor in population % it is quite disproportionate)
I am originally from Boston. It was a very segregated city. The Italians were in the North End. The Irish were in South Boston, the Asians were in China Town, the jewish were in Brookline, the African Americans settled in Roxbury. Every area with the exception of Roxbury was a place to go and visit, and when you went to the north end you behaved yourself and respected you were in the Italian section. It had lots of culture and was a great place to visit. At times I would bump in to older folks and they would say they were originally from Dorchester, or Mattapan and would add " It was nice until the blacks moved in, then it became a ghetto. thus the white flight.
I have all the respect in the world for African Americans who go to school, work hard, have great careers, stay married , raise their kids. They share the same values as myself. I don't respect those that drop out of school , join gangs, get girls pregnant, deal drugs, carry weapons and then blame white people for holding them down.

to answer your initial question. I would choose Carmel.

Last edited by nhkev; 08-07-2016 at 01:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis