Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 03:38 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times

Advertisements

Roads were much better today.... Much much better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 08:48 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
I think the bottom line is that Indy doesn't have enough plows. First of all, you do not need to wait until six inches of snow falls to plow secondary roads. Secondly, the main roads should be plowed much better and more quickly than they currently are. We are not a Southern city. This is the Midwest and making roads passable during a snow storm shouldn't be this much trouble. Why should IPS need to be closed for an entire week for a storm that ended four days ago? Especially when you consider that many of the suburban schools are currently on a 2-hour delay.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:16 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I think the bottom line is that Indy doesn't have enough plows. First of all, you do not need to wait until six inches of snow falls to plow secondary roads. Secondly, the main roads should be plowed much better and more quickly than they currently are. We are not a Southern city. This is the Midwest and making roads passable during a snow storm shouldn't be this much trouble. Why should IPS need to be closed for an entire week for a storm that ended four days ago? Especially when you consider that many of the suburban schools are currently on a 2-hour delay.
Great points.

I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt for the first couple of days, but now it is just ridiculous. There are major streets like Southport Rd, Keystone Ave, and 82nd St that have had rough ice patches for the last couple of days. Those could have been taken out by plows/salt once the temperatures warmed up yesterday (Wednesday).

There is NO reason IPS should be closed again tomorrow (Friday) when the snow ended Sunday and the extreme cold ended Tuesday.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:01 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,301 times
I saw 3 plow trucks yesturday. Funny how all 3 were in fishers and all 3 were on the same road (116th) and all 3 were working the same way and in the same mile. Do they really need to work as a team? Wouldnt more get done by spreading them out.

They plowed out sub 1 time. The night of the storm. Thats in carmel.

Its like they havnt used the plow truck in 4 days. They could have plowed all this frozen stuff up by now.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:10 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Suburban schools are now closed as well. I know IPS said they closed because a lot of kids walk to school and that's not possible right now without the kids walking in the road. I'm not sure the reason for the suburban schools. Carmel cited "deteriorating conditions" though my drive to work in Carmel was perfectly fine.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:12 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
I saw 3 plow trucks yesturday. Funny how all 3 were in fishers and all 3 were on the same road (116th) and all 3 were working the same way and in the same mile. Do they really need to work as a team? Wouldnt more get done by spreading them out.

They plowed out sub 1 time. The night of the storm. Thats in carmel.

Its like they havnt used the plow truck in 4 days. They could have plowed all this frozen stuff up by now.
I can top that. Tuesday night I saw 4 plows in a row plowing one after the other on 131st in Fishers. For those that don't know, 131st is just a typical 2 lane road all the way across Fishers. Why does it need 4 plows following each other?

Old 01-10-2014, 06:42 AM

891 posts, read 2,450,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Do you work for INDOT, Mayor Ballard or both?

neither. I have no connection to the city. Lived in the area my whole life though.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:50 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Suburban schools are now closed as well. I know IPS said they closed because a lot of kids walk to school and that's not possible right now without the kids walking in the road. I'm not sure the reason for the suburban schools. Carmel cited "deteriorating conditions" though my drive to work in Carmel was perfectly fine.
School bus stops. Kids basically would have to stand in the road.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:07 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Drove up to South Bend last night. Roads were good there. All cleared including the side streets that I viewed while driving the main streets. No piles of snows in the intersections or ice bergs lining the streets.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:55 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Drove up to South Bend last night. Roads were good there. All cleared including the side streets that I viewed while driving the main streets. No piles of snows in the intersections or ice bergs lining the streets.
SB knows what it's doing. Indy obviously does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis