Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 03:38 AM

261 posts, read 418,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
And what about the rest of Indiana?
I don't know. I never been any further north than Kokomo, never had any reason to go, exept for one time about 40 years ago we drove in the night to downtown Ft Wayne to pick my cousin up who was stranded at the Greyhound bus station there. But we didn't stop and get out and talk to anybody in Ft Wayne. Even at the bus station, he was waiting on the street, and when he seen us coming he came right over and got in the car and we went back to Muncie. That was the only time I ever been to Northern 3rd of Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 05:59 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyasdf View Post
I don't know. I never been any further north than Kokomo, never had any reason to go, exept for one time about 40 years ago we drove in the night to downtown Ft Wayne to pick my cousin up who was stranded at the Greyhound bus station there. But we didn't stop and get out and talk to anybody in Ft Wayne. Even at the bus station, he was waiting on the street, and when he seen us coming he came right over and got in the car and we went back to Muncie. That was the only time I ever been to Northern 3rd of Indiana.
OK, so how are you qualified to say that a lot of people in Carmel don't sound like they're from Indiana?

Old 02-09-2014, 12:39 AM

261 posts, read 418,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
OK, so how are you qualified to say that a lot of people in Carmel don't sound like they're from Indiana?
I don't know. That's just been my experience with the people from Carmel, and most of the Northern suburbs, a lot of 'em talk like they are from out of state.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:17 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times
Quote:
... The last time I was in Carmel, I detected a Northeast (or is it Upper Midwest?) accent in many of the locals. You could tell by the way they talked they weren't from Indiana...
What does the accent have to do with anything? What's your point?

Old 02-09-2014, 08:56 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,449,665 times
Quote:
I don't know. That's just been my experience with the people from Carmel, and most of the Northern suburbs, a lot of 'em talk like they are from out of state.
Because alot of us are! Michigan and chicago people!

Old 02-09-2014, 10:11 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
What does the accent have to do with anything? What's your point?
He seems to be of the mistaken belief that there's a singular Indiana accent.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,817 times
I know you are focused on Fishers and Carmel, but keep in mind that Fishers tends to be split geographically between Fishers proper and the Fishers/Geist area. I work downtown and live in the Geist area of Fishers - I am able to choose between Fall Creek and Olio to get downtown, completely avoiding I69. Also, if you are working in Greenfield you can take Olio to I70 or there is also a "back-way" as well that cuts around the Fortville area. I don't think you can go wrong with the schools in either - both are best-in-class. Carmel does have a much more developed downtown area, Fishers is working towards it. I think what a lot of people that live in our area are attracted to is the the small town feel of Fishers and access to Geist Reservoir which is great in the summer if you boat and like the idea of being able to take a weeknight troll around the reservoir, sailing academy, etc. It isn't a HUGE lake, but great area for tubing and water sports. I think yours is partially a location decision and partially a lifestyle decision. good luck on your move!

Old 04-15-2014, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaudiuz View Post
Greetings all,

I know this has been asked several times here on the forum already, but Id like to see if things may have changed since it was last discussed. So our family is being relocated to Indiana from south florida, my wife is going to downtown and ill be heading to greenfield. We have narrowed our search to Carmel or Fishers, we have two kids a 2 and 13 year old. Price range ~$325. The concerns we have from reading the comparisons here and from other discussions are:

- Carmel is the "goto place", everyone we spoke to suggested Carmel.
- Fishers is a newer city, without a real downtown
- Carmel has an overloaded highschool (my son will be starting high school this coming year)
- Carmel is better for older families (we are 30)
- Traffic from Fishers to downtown (Lilly) can be difficult
- I keep seeing houses in Carmel disappear (<30 days on market) as im researching them, while houses in fishers are on the market 30+ days

We are coming to hunt tomorrow, so any advice is much appreciated. Anyone know how the commute to greenfield is from either of those subs?

Thanks
Hi,

I am selling my house in the Fishers / Hamilton Proper area (a little above the $325K) so if you are not working with a realtor yet check the address via google map. I can get you more detail if you are interested. 10624 Thorny Ridge Trace Fisher, In 46037 [EMAIL="rclingam@its.jnj.com"]rclingam@its.jnj.com[/EMAIL].

Thanks

Old 04-15-2014, 11:31 AM

143 posts, read 237,737 times
Greenfield is going to be cheaper and will have more of a small town feel than Carmel or Fishers. I think you would get more bang for your buck in Greenfield, but it really just depends on what kind of environment you want to be in. Carmel and Fishers are definitely more upscale, which is why you'll pay more in either of those places.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:07 PM

7 posts, read 7,178 times
Avoid Fishers like the plague: virtual parking lot from 3:30 - 6:30. Adding apartments, houses, businesses overnite and in no way can the infrastructure keep up. Will only get worse. Huge growth on the east side and all they are doing is adding roundabouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis