Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 10:15 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Cincinnati's Paul Brown stadium is open-air, not a dome. It is also small, only 65,009 seats instead of the 70,000 required by the NFL. (Lucas Oil managed to land a Super Bowl with 69,000 seats)

Cincinnati metro does have the required number of hotel rooms (25,000 within one hour of the stadium) and much higher population than Indy's metro area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Indianapolis CSA is 2,310,360. Cincinnati CSA is 2,188,001. These are 2012 estimates.
Cleveland built a new stadium, is bigger than both cities (CSA = 3.5+ million), has enough hotel rooms, and has the seating capacity (73,200). The city tried to bid but was rebuffed in the early 00's because it is a cold weather, open-air stadium. Only when NYC built an open-air stadium did the NFL change their minds about playing it in the cold (in the 'modern' era, anyway).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 01:18 AM

261 posts, read 417,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
Indianapolis CSA is 2,310,360. Cincinnati CSA is 2,188,001. These are 2012 estimates.
That's a stretch. Doesn't part of the 2.3 million include Greensburg, New Castle, Columbus, Anderson, and Muncie as part of Indianapolis? Please. If that's the case then Cincinnati should take in Dayton, Middletown and Springfield. I bet that would put Cincy near 3 million or slightly above.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:10 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,264,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Cleveland built a new stadium, is bigger than both cities (CSA = 3.5+ million), has enough hotel rooms, and has the seating capacity (73,200). The city tried to bid but was rebuffed in the early 00's because it is a cold weather, open-air stadium. Only when NYC built an open-air stadium did the NFL change their minds about playing it in the cold (in the 'modern' era, anyway).
But did it? I don't know that we can really say for sure until the NFL puts the Super Bowl in another outdoor, cold-weather stadium. New York may have been a special circumstance because it was a new stadium and it was New York. There really is no other city in the US that can compete with New York. If another outdoor, cold-weather stadium gets the Super Bowl soon, then I will agree that the NFL has changed their minds. Until that happens, though, I think New York got it just because it's New York.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:24 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyasdf View Post
That's a stretch. Doesn't part of the 2.3 million include Greensburg, New Castle, Columbus, Anderson, and Muncie as part of Indianapolis? Please. If that's the case then Cincinnati should take in Dayton, Middletown and Springfield. I bet that would put Cincy near 3 million or slightly above.
Cincy can add all of Ohio to it's CSA.....still won't make it a metric that matters in this context.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:29 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Then it should try again.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:17 AM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,162 times
I said it right here, that Indy would NOT get the SuperBowl. It was a ONE and DONE deal. You only got it cause you built a stadium on the back of taxpayers. You're not going to be in a regular rotation either. It's called Naptown for a reason.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:20 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I was expecting our friend Timmy to come back and tell us about how he told us Indy was going to lose. I wonder if he drank himself silly in celebration, and got himself sick. Wondering if we should send a search party.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
I said it right here, that Indy would NOT get the SuperBowl. It was a ONE and DONE deal. You only got it cause you built a stadium on the back of taxpayers. You're not going to be in a regular rotation either. It's called Naptown for a reason.
You finally made it. We were worried.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:58 PM

143 posts, read 237,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Yeah, it doesn't matter that it was an extremely successful Super Bowl, the fact the city pulled it off with ease, or the fact that visitors to the city enjoyed themselves as much or more than other recent Super Bowls. The trolling around here has reached critical mass.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:13 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
The biggest success of the Indianapolis Superbowl was the fact that Mother Nature blessed the city with very mild weather.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:22 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
The biggest success of the Indianapolis Superbowl was the fact that Mother Nature blessed the city with very mild weather.
Or maybe it was the fact that the village set up was so successful that every other city wanting the game is now required to copy it. I'm not saying that the weather wasn't a blessing, but it was hardly the biggest success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis