Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 04:22 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
I didn't live in that area, but I did go through it for work in Chicago and East Chicago, and Lake County is a 'rougher' area.
Don't judge an area by what you can see from the Interstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 04:30 PM

600 posts, read 824,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Don't judge an area by what you can see from the Interstate.

I had to do work professionally in the area in the past as well, albeit it near Gary and Hobart.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I read what you wrote. Internet emo literature is my favorite. I'm not a Hoosier, and thanks for the "I'm better than you" response.

That's wonderful to hear. Since I am no longer in Indianapolis, I will ask a solemn request that you enjoy your time there on my behalf.

Regards.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
There are differences in perspective. In my industry and at my salary (which wouldn't change considerably on either coast), I can have an above average lifestyle in Indianapolis. In Orange County, CA, it would be below average.

I'm guessing you are either in a very very technically specific field, or medical services (nurse, doctor, etc) industry if it does not vary. If that's the case, medical services is a niche area compared to other traditional fields. If you enjoy the lifestyle there, then it's your life and good for you.

I never bought a house in Indianapolis despite repeated nagging of my parents because I was concerned about the market to resell into. I would not have had any problem purchasing a house with my credit score and down payment, however; getting the appropriate amount for selling it was always a concern. In the end, I did not purchase a house which made my transition easier.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:38 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times
Quote:
I had to do work professionally in the area in the past as well, albeit it near Gary and Hobart.
I lived in North Merrillville, not close to Hobart.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:43 PM

As a medical professional, Indianapolis is a good place to be in. I know several nurses there and one of them went to school with me at Purdue. A lot of them work 3 days a week for 12 hrs (36/week), and are frequently called in if available. One nurse works 3rd shift and makes additional money due to the shift change. A lot of them will get paid double if they work on holidays.

Working medical services or for the universities are probably the 2 best career fields to be in Indianapolis. Both are stable and not subjected to economic difficulties and also in terms of salary can make the dollar go very far and not have to worry about career mobility.

Most of them make in the $60k+, so higher than the proverbial "$50k glass ceiling".

Old 06-12-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
I lived in North Merrillville, not close to Hobart.
Valpo, Merrillville, Munster, those areas are not that bad once you start moving away. It's basically Gary and everything within the immediate vicinity that is rough. My friend is from LaPorte, and while that's not in Lake County, it was not unsafe either.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:26 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times
OP, I also left 7 years ago for chicago. I have heard Indy has gotten better since then. It's sad to hear your thoughts on BR and castleton. I loved those areas! Did you live in lakeshore apts by chance? That's where I lived and loved it! I actually met more women in Indy than in chicago and miss it!

Last edited by jman07; 06-12-2014 at 06:07 PM..

Old 06-12-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
OP, I also left 7 years ago for chicago. I have heard Indy has gotten better since then. It's sad to hear your thoughts on BR and castleton. I loved this areas! Did you live in lakeshore apts by chance? That's where I lived and loved it! I actually met more women in Indy than in chicago and miss it!

I enjoy Chicago that's great that you are out there. It's a big city and offer more while still being located in the Midwest. I did not live in Lakeshore Apartments, but I know exactly where you are referring to. It's on 82nd right across the grocery store. That area has changed a lot in 7 years. If you were to go back you'd see they renovated the shopping center heading on 82nd towards Keystone At The Crossing Mall. They re-did the entire shopping center off 82nd and put a Harry and Izzy's in there. They also reconstructed the bridge on Allisonville Rd. added an AMC theatre at Castleton Square Mall (they did this when I first got there), and repaved some of the roads on 96th.

Not sure if you went to Ale Emporium right across the road, but that's still there. I love that place and would recommend it for a local restaurant to visit.

I lived in CORE Riverbend off Allisonville Rd. right across Castle Creek Apartments. That whole area on Allisonville Rd. and in general Castleton used to be a hot spot for young adults. You mentioned you moved 7 years ago which is when I first got there. Even when I got there it was still decent. You could go to nearly any of the apartment pools in the area and they would be filled with young adults. I'm guessing you lived prior and from the people I spoke with while I was there, it was pretty much the area esp. in the early 2000s. I'd say it noticibly changed after the recession like 2009 onward, so basically 2 years after I moved there. At CORE Riverbend a lot of the tentants now are low income people, primarily hispanics and black people. They invite a lot of friends over as well. There was fighting in my complex to the point where I tought I'd have to call the police. I know a guy who lived on the west side near the track and he didn't have as frequent break in as I did at Castleton. Even my friend got his car broken into when he visited me at my place which I felt horrible about.

To be honest, I don't really know what happened or why. Things changed significantly after the most recent recession and I'm not sure if it is due to young adults leaving Indianapolis or relocating somewhere else, but Castleton isn't what it was when I first got here in Feb 2007. It's certainly possible the housing bubble bust forced a lot of people out of homes and back into apartment renting.

p.s. I don't recommend CORE Riverbend Apartments. The property is very old along with all the other apartments except Castle Creek. There was frequently maintenance problems ALL the time which never got fixed because the maintenance people could not fix all the apartment issues in the complex. The management was not really receptive or proactive about the issue either.

If I went back I'd get an apartment at a minimum north of 96th or even 106th.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:11 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times
Quote:
I enjoy Chicago that's great that you are out there. It's a big city and offer more while still being located in the Midwest. I did not live in Lakeshore Apartments, but I know exactly where you are referring to. It's on 82nd right across the grocery store. That area has changed a lot in 7 years. If you were to go back you'd see they renovated the shopping center heading on 82nd towards Keystone At The Crossing Mall. They re-did the entire shopping center off 82nd and put a Harry and Izzy's in there. They also reconstructed the bridge on Allisonville Rd. added an AMC theatre at Castleton Square Mall (they did this when I first got there), and repaved some of the roads on 96th.

Not sure if you went to Ale Emporium right across the road, but that's still there. I love that place and would recommend it for a local restaurant to visit.

I would also like to respond to your comments about jobs in Indy. Yes there aren't as many higher level jobs, but the cost of living is so low. Chicago has all these awesome jobs, but it kind of wears on you after a while because you are expected to have an awesome career and job by the time your 30. Your always trying to "keep up with the jones" and the rat race gets tiring after a while. Property taxes on most homes is around 10k a year. That's why most transplants eventually move back to their more modest Midwest cities.

I lived in CORE Riverbend off Allisonville Rd. right across Castle Creek Apartments. That whole area on Allisonville Rd. and in general Castleton used to be a hot spot for young adults. You mentioned you moved 7 years ago which is when I first got there. Even when I got there it was still decent. You could go to nearly any of the apartment pools in the area and they would be filled with young adults. I'm guessing you lived prior and from the people I spoke with while I was there, it was pretty much the area esp. in the early 2000s. I'd say it noticibly changed after the recession like 2009 onward, so basically 2 years after I moved there. At CORE Riverbend a lot of the tentants now are low income people, primarily hispanics and black people. They invite a lot of friends over as well. There was fighting in my complex to the point where I tought I'd have to call the police. I know a guy who lived on the west side near the track and he didn't have as frequent break in as I did at Castleton. Even my friend got his car broken into when he visited me at my place which I felt horrible about.

To be honest, I don't really know what happened or why. Things changed significantly after the most recent recession and I'm not sure if it is due to young adults leaving Indianapolis or relocating somewhere else, but Castleton isn't what it was when I first got here in Feb 2007. It's certainly possible the housing bubble bust forced a lot of people out of homes and back into apartment renting.

p.s. I don't recommend CORE Riverbend Apartments. The property is very old along with all the other apartments except Castle Creek. There was frequently maintenance problems ALL the time which never got fixed because the maintenance people could not fix all the apartment issues in the complex. The management was not really receptive or proactive about the issue either.

If I went back I'd get an apartment at a minimum north of 96th or even 106th.
Lived there from 05 to 07. Still sad to hear about castletons decline. I'm actually going back to Indy for a bachelor party in a month. I'm looking forward to seeing the changes.

Last edited by jman07; 06-12-2014 at 06:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis