Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 08:19 PM

600 posts, read 819,704 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: edited

Last edited by Yac; 10-15-2014 at 03:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 10:24 PM

76 posts, read 143,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLMG View Post
I came across this post and actually created an account on here because it got me thinking. The post is below:

//www.city-data.com/forum/indianapolis/1672542-young-professional-looking-move-indy.html

When I left and I noticed this even back in 2010, that same area is now full of what seems to be low income hispanic/section 8 type of living quarters. There were more frequent break ins and the area in general is not a good area to live in.

If I were to move back I'd live in Noblesville, or Westfield instead. Fishers area has somewhat declined the past 7 years I actually lived in the city.
Yeah....I could sort of understand where he was coming from (even though I'm a girl) UNTIL he got to that point.

And then as to Fishers being on the decline....um...what? That's even more bizarre than the NWI forum with the thread talking about Merrillville being on the decline.

Last edited by shayloure; 06-10-2014 at 10:33 PM..

Old 06-10-2014, 11:13 PM

Castleton is a good area to shop and visit but I would not live there. The apartments along Allisonville Rd have increased in break ins both in the cars and ground apartments when I was there. I parked my car in a rented garage the last several years and did not keep it parked out in the common parking. There were many cars that got broken into when I lived there.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:08 AM

8,940 posts, read 17,171,574 times
Cars get broken into all over the place. Many years ago, I had a buddy get his car broken into in Brownsburg. I've lived in Center Township the last 5 years, have not had my car broken into yet.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:09 AM

4,966 posts, read 6,230,542 times
Just curious why you think Fishers has declined in the past 7 years? I've lived in Fishers for the past 7 years and it seems to be improving to me.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:20 AM

129 posts, read 165,706 times
Can you do a similar review of where you live now?

Old 06-11-2014, 12:48 PM

108 posts, read 165,517 times
I was similar to this in my 20s. Spent several years in Salt Lake City and Las Vegas. Now, with a wife and children, I am super happy to be back.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:08 PM

34,821 posts, read 30,892,534 times
I agree with most of your assessment. I've only been here two and a half months and not from here, so I don't have your level of detail, but I've not been impressed with the city proper.

Broad Ripple strikes me as some kind of mix between college bar area and a crunchy/granola wannabe place. I'm not a club goer (more into bars), but BR just tries too hard.

The biggest thing I've noticed about younger women is that most seem to be married/committed or have kids already. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of single, 20s professional women. On the flip side, I have met a few fun 40+ year olds with either grown kids or no kids.

I don't work downtown - can't really comment on it.

I think taxes are high here, especially given that this is a red state and I'm from TN. I pay 3.9% state income tax, about 1% more to Hamilton County (TN has no tax on earned income and no municipal income taxes to my knowledge), transferring my tag/license/title is going to cost over $500, sales tax is still 6%. Property taxes are reasonable from what I've read. Sure, this is low tax compared to CA, but compared to truly low tax states, it's relatively high. Things are cheap here and my income is relatively high (for the area), but I don't work for a local company. I think if I was working for a local company, I'd make a lot less.

I don't see where one could get that Fishers is on the decline. Everything up there seems brand new.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:51 PM

76 posts, read 143,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Broad Ripple strikes me as some kind of mix between college bar area and a crunchy/granola wannabe place. I'm not a club goer (more into bars), but BR just tries too hard.
Have you tried Fountain Square? They have a lot of cool bars there with a young, though not college type crowd that you see in Broad Ripple. My boyfriend and I went to have drinks at the Brass Ring Lounge after having dinner at Mama Irma's and we really liked it. The atmosphere is pretty cool, and the bartender makes pretty good drinks as well. If you're into sports bars, you may not like it. They have the "old, classic" feel with only playing Turner Classic movies on the TVs there.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:56 PM

Moderator cut: edited

Last edited by Yac; 10-15-2014 at 03:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis