Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 06:03 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Did anyone say that not one single person in the history of the world ever went to Indy on vacation? Of course not.

The fact is that Indy isn't a tourist city. There aren't any obvious draws.
Haters gonna hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 08:09 AM

74 posts, read 93,931 times
One area Indianapolis is not middle of the road but more like bottom rated is water recreation. Analyzing the acres of available navigable water within 50 miles of the CBD of all cities east of the Rocky Mountains including coastal cities with metro populations of 1,000,000 or more shows that Indianapolis ranks 42 out of 42 cities - dead last.

The ocean and beaches are the nation’s playground. However, for inland cities like Indy the centers for outdoor recreation are navigable rivers and mostly reservoirs with collocated state parks. These facilities are able to accommodate more types of outdoor recreation than any other venue. Water recreation is the second largest segment of the $644 billion dollar outdoor recreation market. It accounts for over $110 billion in annual sales in the US. Of course the lion’s share of the water market involves boating but keep in mind more recreation boating is done on freshwater than on the ocean. The largest segment of the outdoor market is camping with $143 billion dollars in sales and much of this type of activity also takes place around water.

Water is also associated with improved aesthetics, economic development, improved wellness, increased tourism, improved wildlife habitat and many other benefits. So the cities that do not have much recreation water are missing out on a lot and may be labeled boring.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:43 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Haters gonna hate.
Or maybe "people who don't like data/reality gonna hate".

The reality is that Indy isn't a tourist town.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:53 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
Quote:
Or maybe "people who don't like data/reality gonna hate".

The reality is that Indy isn't a tourist town.
Regional tourism is a thing here. There are people from out of town in Indy regularly. No, Indy is not New Orleans. That doesn't mean people don't come here. But yes, keep coming into our forum and bloviating about how no one visits us. The internet needs it.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:48 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,371,509 times
Quote:
Regional tourism is a thing here. There are people from out of town in Indy regularly. No, Indy is not New Orleans. That doesn't mean people don't come here. But yes, keep coming into our forum and bloviating about how no one visits us. The internet needs it.
Yeah, and on top of that, if you raise your shirt while standing on a balcony along a major thoroughfare here you'll be arrested for exposure rather than have beads flung at you, too.

RM

Old 05-24-2016, 06:22 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,135 times
Quote:
Did anyone say that not one single person in the history of the world ever went to Indy on vacation? Of course not.

The fact is that Indy isn't a tourist city. There aren't any obvious draws.
No, people just implied it. There's this grammar concept that exists called connotation.

I told you why Indy is a regional tourist city. It arguably has the best Downtown of any regional city, minus Chicago. I don't know how else to explain it to you other than saying it is a tourist city by Midwest standards.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:54 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,937 times
Quote:
Indiana as a whole isn't a tourist destination for the most part. I'm sure we get a lot of visitors, but I would bet that many of those visitors are here for reasons other than "I can't wait to spend a week of my vacation in Indiana and/or Indy!" I've meet a few people who do come up from nearby cities, usually they spend a weekend and it usually is just a way to change the surroundings for a few days.

This is probably the most popular travel forum on-line. Look where Indiana sits in the rankings:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ListForu...ed_States.html

More proof:

Frommer's

I don't understand the push that we are some sort of destination area. We aren't and never will be. So what if people from Louisville, Chicago, Cincinnati, etc. come here for a day or weekend getaway. Guess what, I do the same thing in those cities. So call it a wash, as when I visit a regional city I spend my money there that day, or maybe weekend. Regional tourism is just people wanting to do something different, and usually involves small scale spending and such.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Keep making the reality claims all you want. Nobody is believing you.
Advice: no matter how many times you repeat a lie its still a lie.
You're free to believe that Indy is a major tourist town. You're also free to believe in unicorns, the tooth fairy and bigfoot.

But please continue calling everyone else "liars" because they're posting facts and data.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
No, people just implied it. There's this grammar concept that exists called connotation.
Please show us one post in this thread where someone implied Indy doesn't get a single tourist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I don't know how else to explain it to you other than saying it is a tourist city by Midwest standards.
Is that like saying Gary is a pleasant city by burnt-out postindustrial wasteland standards?

Indy isn't a major tourist city, not for the Midwest, and not nationally.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:04 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
I stumbled across this in the list of US forums.

As far as a vacation destination my wife and I have the following US locations that we want to visit.

1. New York City

2. Washington D.C.

3. Disney World

4. San Francisco

5. Salt Lake City

6. Hawaii anywhere in Hawaii

7. Nashville

8. Alaska coast

9. Las Vegas

10. Grand Canyon

I'm sorry guys and girls but my wife and I don't even have Indianapolis on our radar. Not saying it is a bad place. I don't know that much about it. I heard they have a race track, but that is about all I know. On a side note, my grand father and uncles made a few trips to the race years ago.

Now we are only a couple of the 300 million or so people in the country. We also live on the west coast. The mid west is not something that does much for us. I did live in Iowa for a few years back in the mid 80's but nothing ever brought me back.

Would we visit? Sure why not. Chances are though that would happen if we were driving thru and we prefer to fly.

I am not posting this to be harsh or have you think I am hating on Indianapolis. I just don't know that much about the area or what would draw us to the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis