Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2016, 03:04 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
This is one of the biggest problems with American Society today.
The lack of information the general public has is quite alarming. Especially in the Internet age (Google Anyone?)
There is plenty to do in the Midwest for people with various tastes. Anyone that says they can't find ONE thing to do in the Midwest is one of the following:
Closed Minded
Lazy
Or Arrogant.
Its not that hard to find information about a place and get ideas for a visit. Shoot they have VisitIndy.com for a reason.
He did name one thing - the race track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 03:16 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,320 times
Quote:
The Worlds Largest Childrens Museum (Don't have to be a local or even a Midwesterner to know about it)
The Art Museum
Lucas Oil Stadium (Most Americans watch Football)
Monument Circle
Need i list more?
You accused him of not being able to name "ONE THING". Well, he did name one thing. Just sayin

Old 05-25-2016, 03:19 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Quote:
The lack of information the general public has is quite alarming. Especially in the Internet age (Google Anyone?)
There is plenty to do in the Midwest for people with various tastes. Anyone that says they can't find ONE thing to do in the Midwest is one of the following:
Closed Minded
Lazy
Or Arrogant.
Its not that hard to find information about a place and get ideas for a visit. Shoot they have VisitIndy.com for a reason.
There are a lot of places much more impressive to visit in this country than Indianapolis. Someone not from the region, I don't blame them for going somewhere like Yellowstone, New York, DC, Vegas, Denver, Orlando, Miami, Chicago. Why would you ever expect anyone to have Indianapolis on their along with or above places like that? There's nothing in Indy to draw someone that gets maybe a week a year or every other year of vacation to spend it on a week in Indianapolis when there are all those other places with so much more to see and do. I don't blame them at all. I could probably name 30 places on my vacation destination list I'd rather go than Indianapolis. I love this city and I love living here but let's be real for once. Why do you think Indy has to be a go-to thing for tourists? Who cares if its not? That's not what our economy is built around.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:13 PM

135 posts, read 181,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
There are a lot of places much more impressive to visit in this country than Indianapolis. Someone not from the region, I don't blame them for going somewhere like Yellowstone, New York, DC, Vegas, Denver, Orlando, Miami, Chicago. Why would you ever expect anyone to have Indianapolis on their along with or above places like that? There's nothing in Indy to draw someone that gets maybe a week a year or every other year of vacation to spend it on a week in Indianapolis when there are all those other places with so much more to see and do. I don't blame them at all. I could probably name 30 places on my vacation destination list I'd rather go than Indianapolis. I love this city and I love living here but let's be real for once. Why do you think Indy has to be a go-to thing for tourists? Who cares if its not? That's not what our economy is built around.
This X 1,000. Of course there are interesting things here. And I happen to love living here and make no apologies for it. However, the fact is that if you're talking vacation - something you only do once or twice a year, something you plan for, something you save for, something you count on being one of the best parts of your year for not only you but your family - then Indy would not rank high on my list either. But guess what? Neither would Cincinnati, Louisville, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Des Moines, Kansas City, etc. Hell I don't even think Nashville makes a great vacation. All these places are GREAT for weekend get aways here and there. I've done overnights/weekends in all of them except KC and Des Moines, and enjoyed each of them. It's nice just to have a change of scenery now and then, and you can bet your a** that residents of those cities come to Indy for that reason, too. But why should we really care if someone from California (no offense to the California guy) wants to come here and vacation? I dont, and not only that, I dont blame him. I'd rather go back to New Orleans ten straight times than go explore any of these midwestern cities for a full week that, quite honestly, wear thin after a few days. Nola, Vegas, New York, anywhere with a beach, etc are all much better suited for vacationers. I'm much more concerned about having the best possible city for the residents of Indy - the people who are invested here 365 days a year. I think for Indy (and most Midwestern cities), the best case scenario is that when out of towners DO come here for events - sporting events like the 500 or Super Bowl, or conventions like Gen Con - that they walk away impressed with the city, saying "Holy s**t that was way better than I thought it would be."

My wife's aunt and uncle live in LA. He left Indiana pretty much immediately after he returned from Vietnam for Cali. His daughter was raised in LA, and went to university in London. They flew back to Indy this past summer for my sister-in-laws wedding. It was the first time her uncle had been in Indy other than the airport/70/465 since the 70's, his wife and daughters first time ever. They were absolutely blown away by Indy. Absolutely floored by downtown. Absolutely surprised (pleasantly) by the food/drink scene (they hit 4 or 5 breweries the day after the wedding alone). Absolutely stunned by the size of house we are able to afford here within 5 minutes of downtown. I don't know how many times I heard her aunt remark "If this house were in LA it would be a million dollar home." These are not easy people to please/impress, and they have no particular fondness or love for the Midwestern lifestyle, but they loved every second they were in Indy. It felt really good. Having said that, i certainly dont expect them to be vacationing here all of the sudden. At the end of the day, we still dont have an ocean, mountains, a french quarter, or a Vegas strip. But what we do have is pretty damn nice if you let yourself see it. Rant off.

Last edited by jarcolem; 05-25-2016 at 04:35 PM..

Old 05-26-2016, 08:40 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Closed Minded
Lazy
Or Arrogant.
LOL, Very true.

Why though? Why would I have a need to go to Indianapolis or the mid west to do any of those things?

VisitIndy.Com would be nice for someone that is thinking about visiting. If it is not on your radar why would you even look it up?

Never said that their was nothing to do in the Midwest. Most everything that I can do there though I can do somewhere else. Tell me what would compel me to go there? It has to be something that I can not do anywhere else.

Give me a compelling reason that I would need to google Indianapolis? There are a lot of amazing things that I don't google and the reason is that I have no reason to google those things. I listed places that my wife and I want to visit or have been to. These are places that seem to be desirable. Places others talk about. Take Hawaii. Plenty of people leave the beaches here and fly to Hawaii. It happens all the time. I have not found anyone that said, I am taking a week off to fly to Indianapolis. Las Vegas is a place that is within driving range of where I live. Lots of people in my area visit Las Vegas. They have an airport that people fly in from all over the nation and parts of the world. People talk about Las Vegas all the time. maybe it is a west coast thing. I don't know anyone that is talking about Indianapolis. Could be a regional thing though as we are far from there. Who knows.

Advertising? Maybe they should advertise and let people know about all the cool things to do there.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 05-26-2016 at 08:49 AM..

Old 05-26-2016, 08:55 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcolem View Post
This X 1,000. Of course there are interesting things here. And I happen to love living here and make no apologies for it. However, the fact is that if you're talking vacation - something you only do once or twice a year, something you plan for, something you save for, something you count on being one of the best parts of your year for not only you but your family - then Indy would not rank high on my list either. But guess what? Neither would Cincinnati, Louisville, Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Des Moines, Kansas City, etc. Hell I don't even think Nashville makes a great vacation. All these places are GREAT for weekend get aways here and there. I've done overnights/weekends in all of them except KC and Des Moines, and enjoyed each of them. It's nice just to have a change of scenery now and then, and you can bet your a** that residents of those cities come to Indy for that reason, too. But why should we really care if someone from California (no offense to the California guy) wants to come here and vacation? I dont, and not only that, I dont blame him. I'd rather go back to New Orleans ten straight times than go explore any of these midwestern cities for a full week that, quite honestly, wear thin after a few days. Nola, Vegas, New York, anywhere with a beach, etc are all much better suited for vacationers. I'm much more concerned about having the best possible city for the residents of Indy - the people who are invested here 365 days a year. I think for Indy (and most Midwestern cities), the best case scenario is that when out of towners DO come here for events - sporting events like the 500 or Super Bowl, or conventions like Gen Con - that they walk away impressed with the city, saying "Holy s**t that was way better than I thought it would be."

My wife's aunt and uncle live in LA. He left Indiana pretty much immediately after he returned from Vietnam for Cali. His daughter was raised in LA, and went to university in London. They flew back to Indy this past summer for my sister-in-laws wedding. It was the first time her uncle had been in Indy other than the airport/70/465 since the 70's, his wife and daughters first time ever. They were absolutely blown away by Indy. Absolutely floored by downtown. Absolutely surprised (pleasantly) by the food/drink scene (they hit 4 or 5 breweries the day after the wedding alone). Absolutely stunned by the size of house we are able to afford here within 5 minutes of downtown. I don't know how many times I heard her aunt remark "If this house were in LA it would be a million dollar home." These are not easy people to please/impress, and they have no particular fondness or love for the Midwestern lifestyle, but they loved every second they were in Indy. It felt really good. Having said that, i certainly dont expect them to be vacationing here all of the sudden. At the end of the day, we still dont have an ocean, mountains, a french quarter, or a Vegas strip. But what we do have is pretty damn nice if you let yourself see it. Rant off.
True, and I am not saying anything against your city. I am not saying it is not a great place to go. I have never seen an advertisement about it. I have a couple of friends that are travel agents and they are not pushing the Midwest as a destination.

I see commercials about New Orleans. I see commercials about Hawaii and Las Vegas, Florida, and a lot of other places. I have never seen a commercial advertising Indianapolis. I don't even know anyone from there.

Not saying it is a bad place, I just don't hear anyone talking about it.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:12 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
True, and I am not saying anything against your city. I am not saying it is not a great place to go. I have never seen an advertisement about it. I have a couple of friends that are travel agents and they are not pushing the Midwest as a destination.

I see commercials about New Orleans. I see commercials about Hawaii and Las Vegas, Florida, and a lot of other places. I have never seen a commercial advertising Indianapolis. I don't even know anyone from there.

Not saying it is a bad place, I just don't hear anyone talking about it.
In terms of scenery, the Upper Midwest is more interesting. I prefer far northern Wisconsin and the UP.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:23 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
LOL, Very true.

Why though? Why would I have a need to go to Indianapolis or the mid west to do any of those things?

VisitIndy.Com would be nice for someone that is thinking about visiting. If it is not on your radar why would you even look it up?

Never said that their was nothing to do in the Midwest. Most everything that I can do there though I can do somewhere else. Tell me what would compel me to go there? It has to be something that I can not do anywhere else.

Give me a compelling reason that I would need to google Indianapolis? There are a lot of amazing things that I don't google and the reason is that I have no reason to google those things. I listed places that my wife and I want to visit or have been to. These are places that seem to be desirable. Places others talk about. Take Hawaii. Plenty of people leave the beaches here and fly to Hawaii. It happens all the time. I have not found anyone that said, I am taking a week off to fly to Indianapolis. Las Vegas is a place that is within driving range of where I live. Lots of people in my area visit Las Vegas. They have an airport that people fly in from all over the nation and parts of the world. People talk about Las Vegas all the time. maybe it is a west coast thing. I don't know anyone that is talking about Indianapolis. Could be a regional thing though as we are far from there. Who knows.

Advertising? Maybe they should advertise and let people know about all the cool things to do there.
Vegas has all the gambling and glitz going on. That's what it's known for and draw is. Indy will never have a draw like that, and that's fine.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:59 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,982 times
Default Response to top 10 list

I have been to all of those places and Alaska and Hawaii were my favorites. If you go be sure to get outside of Anchorage and Honolulu and explore some small towns. Seward Alaska was really cool and the halibut is amazing.

It was not on your list but we really like Madison WI and Grand Rapids MI though they are usually just weekend trips which might not be enough to get one to fly from Cali, not to mention the connecting airports.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:22 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
We do Advertise but its impossible to reach every single person.
2nd what are your interests? Outdoors and Camping? Then Brown County, Fort Harrison, Eagle Creek Park and White River State Park are some good options. Lake Michigan is 3 hours away. Gambling as well in Anderson and Shelbyville. Nice museums like Conner Prarie, Indianapolis 500 hall of fame, The worlds largest childrens museum, Indiana history musem, Indianapolis Museum of art and 100 Acres, Colonel Eli Lilly Civil War Museum under monument circle, The War Memorial Plaza, Mass Ave and Fountain Square, Broad Ripple and the beautiful area around it, Padelboats and Gondelas on the Central Canal which the Ladies on HGTV's Good Bones just did, Whatever Convention is in town that week like Gen Con this August, Fresh Farmers market every Wednesday, Use the Pacers Bikeshare to travel Downtown or use the largest ridesharing program in America Blue Indy, Explore the Cultural Trail, Colts. Pacers, Indy Eleven and the Indians depending on what time of year you visit, The Zoo which has an amazing Dolphin Exhibit, Indiana Medical History Museum, Irvington, Madam Walker Theater and the history of America's first self made black female Millionaire.
We also have not one but TWO Trader Joe's locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis