Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 03:32 PM

28 posts, read 41,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Really good post.

I agree with the flat land comment. Being from the hills of Appalachia, central IN is just plain boring. Not only is there little variation in the terrain itself, there really is no significant recreational water close enough to the metro for an after work visit. There is really little to do outdoors here other than run down the Monon or something. Where I'm from in Tennessee, one of the most heavily used state parks was within ten minutes of my childhood, I could fish from the bank of three rivers or two different lakes in fifteen minutes, be at a marina in ten minutes, hike at several local parks (all better than anything in municipal Indy), ride at the park's horse stables, run/bike a green trail like the Monon, etc.

There is little comparable to that in most of Indiana, and virtually nil in metro Indianapolis. It's a horrible place to live if you like outdoor recreation.

A lot of Midwestern states suffer from the lack of differentiation. Illinois and Chicago are basically interchangeable - when people think of Michigan, they just think of Flint/Detroit. Beyond that, a lot of them run together. It's not really Indy's fault.

I've only been here for two years, but I can't imagine the unigov venture being helpful. You are capturing a lot of essentially rural land in the "city limits," but yet many parts of the urban core are neglected.
Exactly, couldn't of said anything better myself. A lot of it is outside of Indy's control. They do good for what they have. It's just not for some people. I'm a huge outdoor and recs guy myself, and unless you or a family member lives on Geist, there's not that many options. Detroit is flat, and for being as depressed of a region as it is, it has Lake St. Clair and 3 of the 5 Great Lakes within a two and a half hour drive. Chicago is an extremely flat region, but Lake Michigan and lake shore drive will make you forget about that quick.

I don't know where in Tennessee you're from, but I do love Chattanooga, Tennessee by the way. Lookout mountain is on a level of its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 05:18 PM

151 posts, read 193,942 times
Default Numbered streets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
One thing I've noticed about Indianapolis that could be considered boring, they love to name their streets after numbers. How high do those numbers go? 156th street? Looks like they can come up with names for streets that are a little more creative than a number. I can understand numbered streets in the downtown area, but after you get past about 38th street, to name a street after a number is pure laziness. Another thing I remember about Indianapolis, alot of their elementary schools were named after numbers as well. Now the way I view it, it would take a boring person to name a school after a number.

You ask why Indy gets a bad rap as a boring city, these numbered streets and schools could be a reason. No creativity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
Oh, come on !!

If numbered streets make a city boring, Manhattan must be a snoozefest like no other
As well as Chicago

Old 06-06-2016, 06:03 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,151,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHighEagle View Post
Exactly, couldn't of said anything better myself. A lot of it is outside of Indy's control. They do good for what they have. It's just not for some people. I'm a huge outdoor and recs guy myself, and unless you or a family member lives on Geist, there's not that many options. Detroit is flat, and for being as depressed of a region as it is, it has Lake St. Clair and 3 of the 5 Great Lakes within a two and a half hour drive. Chicago is an extremely flat region, but Lake Michigan and lake shore drive will make you forget about that quick.

I don't know where in Tennessee you're from, but I do love Chattanooga, Tennessee by the way. Lookout mountain is on a level of its own.
There isn't what one would call a lot in Indy, but you just need to know where to go. Obviously Eagle Creek which is the largest of Indy parks and offers the most things to do from ziplining to cross country skiing to archery if that's your thing plus the largest body of water in the region. For nothersiders/north burbs, Connor Prairie is almost a must, it's a great park and very few like it. South siders and South burbs, Brown County and/or Lake Monroe are some of the spots to hit up. Lake Michigan also within 2 1/2 hours of Indy with all of its trails and dunes and beaches.

But to stay in Indy, Holiday park or Perry Pool are the ones everyone really knows about for Indy Parks but the regional parks are all better IMO than Holiday or Perry, particular Southeastway and Southwestway parks on the South side in Franklin and Decatur townships respectively. If you get a chance take a trip esp in the fall. Granted it's not Lookout Mountain buy any stretch. 100 acres at IMA, hit the canal throught butler to Broad Ripple. and really on down towards downtown when heading south.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:14 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I picked up a Nuvo yesterday.

Got it in and started thumbing through it, and out falls this cool looking slick paper flyer. It had several cool looking restaurants on it, then I saw the "Louisville" at the bottom and a Forecastle advertisement on the back.

I know that's just an ad in a magazine, but why is an Indy magazine that's supposedly trying to cover Indy news, Indy events, and repping Indy accepting a slick Louisville ad? I know it's not much, but damn, if it's not emblematic of how poorly Indy markets itself.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:44 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
I picked up a Nuvo yesterday.

Got it in and started thumbing through it, and out falls this cool looking slick paper flyer. It had several cool looking restaurants on it, then I saw the "Louisville" at the bottom and a Forecastle advertisement on the back.

I know that's just an ad in a magazine, but why is an Indy magazine that's supposedly trying to cover Indy news, Indy events, and repping Indy accepting a slick Louisville ad? I know it's not much, but damn, if it's not emblematic of how poorly Indy markets itself.
Because NUVO has to pay the bills like any other business? My God your nitpicks have gotten crazier. The Louisville Slugger museum was at an Indianapolis Indians game last year, and they gave me a free admission pass. The nerve of those people coming into a nearby city and trying to earn tourism dollars! Don't they know Indianapolis is already the greatest city on planet earth full of people who never need to travel because God blessed us with everything you could ever need right here in Indianapolis.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:07 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Because NUVO has to pay the bills like any other business? My God your nitpicks have gotten crazier. The Louisville Slugger museum was at an Indianapolis Indians game last year, and they gave me a free admission pass. The nerve of those people coming into a nearby city and trying to earn tourism dollars! Don't they know Indianapolis is already the greatest city on planet earth full of people who never need to travel because God blessed us with everything you could ever need right here in Indianapolis.
I'm not stupid - I know they have to pay bills, but you'd think they could find someone willing to advertise local events. It seems a bit hypocritical for a magazine focusing on local events and news in Indy to have ads for a city 100+ miles away in another state.

Going down 65 you'll see all sorts of billboards for Louisville ziplining/caving, bourbon, horses, etc., but what kind of ads/interest does Indy generate for itself, outside of the Colts/Pacers/once a year 500?

Old 06-08-2016, 09:24 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
I'm not stupid - I know they have to pay bills, but you'd think they could find someone willing to advertise local events. It seems a bit hypocritical for a magazine focusing on local events and news in Indy to have ads for a city 100+ miles away in another state.
Good grief.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:37 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
I
Quote:

Going down 65 you'll see all sorts of billboards for Louisville ziplining/caving, bourbon, horses, etc., but what kind of ads/interest does Indy generate for itself, outside of the Colts/Pacers/once a year 500?

Down here in Austin I've never see any Indiana advertisements inviting people to take a vacation there. Not even during the month of May and the 500, I've never seen any ads to entice people to spend a weekend in Indiana. Michigan advertises in Austin. So does Wisconsin and Minnesota. Seems I remember seeing an advertisement on tv for Louisville, and seems there was a write-up about Louisville in a Sunday edition of the American Statesman. I've seen ads and write ups in the paper about Chicago, Minneapolis/St Paul, Milwaukee and St Louis, and lately Cleveland and Philadelphia, but never ads for Indianapolis or Muncie, or Indiana. Indianapolis makes up for lack of tourists with landing some pretty cool conventions thru out the year. It was in the news the other day the mayor of Austin was in Indianapolis for a mayors convention. I thought that sounded like it would be a cool convention to go to.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:15 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Muncie?

Old 06-28-2016, 07:20 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Muncie?
Oh yeah, for sure. I got to thinking about that, and in the last year or two or 3, I've seen write-ups in the travel section of the American Statesman about Green Bay and Duluth, and I thought, well, yeah, why not Muncie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis