Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 12:56 PM

3 posts, read 3,649 times

Advertisements

My husband son and I are relocating to Indianapolis and I am in desperate need of help ! I am not sure where to look we are our looking for a place that has decent schools and close to downtown. I was looking into merion, Hendricks,Hancock and Hamilton county and I would like to rent a hone Or apartment trying to stay below 1000 in rent if possible. Does anyone know good complexes I should look into? And we are a young family in our 20's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 02:05 PM

108 posts, read 165,785 times
If you want decent schools I would scratch Marion county off the list. Hamilton county has good schools and I can't speak for Hendricks or Hancock county. There should be plenty of apartments around for less than $1k. You should search through the threads for those.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:23 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,596,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossTXTransplant View Post
If you want decent schools I would scratch Marion county off the list. Hamilton county has good schools and I can't speak for Hendricks or Hancock county. There should be plenty of apartments around for less than $1k. You should search through the threads for those.
I would completely disagree with this. Washington Township has schools comparable with suburban districts and is much closer to Downtown than most of the suburbs. Most of the other township schools in Marion County range from decent to good, and Indianapolis Public Schools has good schools, but are harder to come by. Everyone will agree that Hamilton County has the best schools overall, but the commute Downtown will be worse than most other areas.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:27 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,136,821 times
What are the ages of the kids? It is a toss up. Top to bottom, yes Hamilton has the best schools. Proximity to downtown is another issue. In Marion county the best district stat wise is Washington which is north central part of the city followed by franklin township which is far sent side. Other districts offer other things. Wayne which is the west side offers Ben Davis university which does dual with Vincennes. Nothing like graduating ahead of the curve with a diploma and associates. Pike is an IB school and the best public high school in Indy metro is IPS Herron, above Carmel, fishers and zionsville but can be hard to get into. Best overall school is the international school. Resource wise no one beats IPS, their access to resources just far exceeds the other smaller districts. Just have to take advantage of them. Their partnership with central library alone put them over the top. On the elementary level, outside of the IPS charters the donut counties are better. Once in high school the dynamic changes a bit with the smaller IPS schools, franklin township vs the massive say Carmel and warren central which are the 2 largest schools in the state.

Carmel vocational training actually attend j. Everett light career center which is adjacent to north central so Washington township schools while the southern districts go to central nine in greenwood if the kids chose that route in their high school curriculum.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:17 AM

108 posts, read 165,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I would completely disagree with this. Washington Township has schools comparable with suburban districts and is much closer to Downtown than most of the suburbs. Most of the other township schools in Marion County range from decent to good, and Indianapolis Public Schools has good schools, but are harder to come by. Everyone will agree that Hamilton County has the best schools overall, but the commute Downtown will be worse than most other areas.
There are good schools sprinkled around Marion County, but it is still dicey. Greatschools ranks Washington Township as a 5/10. Not that it is a perfect rating tool, but compare that to Hamilton which is 9/10 and it doesn't seem as comparable as you say. And that's the best Marion County has to offer?

Old 07-25-2014, 10:41 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,136,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossTXTransplant View Post
There are good schools sprinkled around Marion County, but it is still dicey. Greatschools ranks Washington Township as a 5/10. Not that it is a perfect rating tool, but compare that to Hamilton which is 9/10 and it doesn't seem as comparable as you say. And that's the best Marion County has to offer?
Great schools, neighborhood scout, etc are a joke and be taken as entertainment like C-D.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:47 PM

36 posts, read 72,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankh725 View Post
My husband son and I are relocating to Indianapolis and I am in desperate need of help ! I am not sure where to look we are our looking for a place that has decent schools and close to downtown. I was looking into merion, Hendricks,Hancock and Hamilton county and I would like to rent a hone Or apartment trying to stay below 1000 in rent if possible. Does anyone know good complexes I should look into? And we are a young family in our 20's
I'm suspecting you are Indian, given the username. There are numerous Indian communities on all 4 sides of Indy...if such is important to you. Forgive me if that is an incorrect assumption. Most of the Indians I work with are all in the Greenwood area.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:55 PM

3 posts, read 3,649 times
Default thanks everyone

No not Indian I am west Indian and Puerto Rican. Thank you everyone for your replies they really helped

Old 08-07-2014, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,279 times
Hmm this is really an awesome tool. I'm here now,I'm her husband, and I like greenfield and fishers. Can e find something like that there??

Old 08-08-2014, 07:32 AM

4,969 posts, read 6,248,945 times
I can't speak much of Greenfield as I have very little knowledge of it. Fishers is nice and you can certainly find a house to rent. Many of them, though, may be poor construction and with very little yard, built close to the street and stacked tightly together with a couple strips of grass for side yards. Not all are like this, though. My neighborhood occasionally has a house come up for rent. Not enormous yards but houses aren't completely on top of each other, either. Apartments are easier to come by. I lived my first year here in Sunblest Apartments off 116th St. Pretty easy access to I-69 to get downtown and you can walk to several restaurants, and more when the new Depot opens next year. as well as CVS and Super Target. Tuesday nights during the summer there are free concerts at the municipal complex which will be practically out your back door. And the Fishers Freedom Festival in June is within easy walking distance as well. I don't know how big you're looking for. If you want a 3 bedroom, you probably can't do that for under $1000. My 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom was around $900. That includes all utilities except electric and cable. They also include full size washer and dryers which is nice as well. It was very spacious and unlike most apartments I've lived in, there were windows on 3 out of 4 sides of the unit. There are other apartment complexes in Fishers that may possibly be cheaper but I have no experience with them. The new trend right now in the suburbs is luxury apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis