Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 04:25 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
Most of the 219,229,239 is iffy. I wouldnt live there.
You wouldn't live in those 219, 229 or 239 but you will live in zip codes 224 and 214, two areas that have higher incidents of violent and property crimes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Except he is wrong. 46219 contains Irvington, Community Heights, and Warren Park. The east side is regularly trashed by suburbanites, of which the poster making the claim is. Calling "most of 229 iffy" is a dubious claim at best. 361 S Spencer is in that zone where nice Irvington starts to transition to lower income Irvington and not-Irvington. There is nothing wrong with that area. I would stay north of Brookville Rd in that area. Christian Park is right up English, it is a nice park.

What you are going to need to understand is that you are getting second hand info from people who are not always familiar with the areas they are speaking about. You have one guy that has lived here maybe 4 months. Another guy that lives in Carmel and does not think much of the city. Just keep that in mind in your research on the city data, not everyone is going to be as knowledgeable as they sound in every discussion, including me.

Speedway is a nice area, and if I lived in a house, I would feel fine about it. I have no direct knowledge on that apartment complex, so I will defer to those folks that have no trouble trying to sound knowledgeable. The limited knowledge I have, tells me that I would probably not want to live there.

If you really want to judge "safety," the best thing you can do is pop addresses into this tool and decide for yourself. No one here has a crystal ball. If you are worried about safety, we all are going to have a different view on what that means. If you are going to make the best choice for you, you need to look at real data and not a bunch of internet screen names.
Spot on!!!

Old 07-31-2014, 05:01 AM

3,404 posts, read 3,448,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
You wouldn't live in those 219, 229 or 239 but you will live in zip codes 224 and 214, two areas that have higher incidents of violent and property crimes?
Its less about those actual zips and more about how close to the shooting problems that are still more common on the east side than the west. Even though the west is catching up. If i was going to commit for a yr lease i wouldnt live on the east side right now. Now if the city gets the crime in order i might reconsider but to be tied into a yr lease not for me.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:54 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,139 times
Quote:
Its less about those actual zips and more about how close to the shooting problems that are still more common on the east side than the west. Even though the west is catching up. If i was going to commit for a yr lease i wouldnt live on the east side right now. Now if the city gets the crime in order i might reconsider but to be tied into a yr lease not for me.
All that you are demonstrating is how little you know about the city and how crime works. I live on the near east side now, in a neighborhood that is nicer than anything I know of on the south or west sides.

Most people that know Chicago well know that most crime is concentrated on that city's south and west sides. Yet, the President of the United States thinks his south side neighborhood is plenty safe for him and his family. Indianapolis' east side gets the same type of bad reputation when it comes to crime, but there are also plenty of areas on the east side that are better and safer than many parts of the city. I used to live in Carmel and voluntarily moved to the near east side for convenience to Downtown. My neighbor is a doctor at a Greenwood hospital and could afford to live anywhere, but chooses to live on the near east side because he likes the neighborhood. Many people that have options to live in any part of the city choose the east side for their homes.

It's wrong to just write-off the east side because it has the most shootings. You are lumping together various neighborhoods as if they're all the same. By the way, how many shootings of innocent bystanders have there been on the east side this year? If you aren't a criminal, the chances of you getting shot (as a target or in crossfire) are very low no matter where you live.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
I don't understand the logic of automatically dismissing an area code just because it is on the east side of town yet at the same time suggesting a couple of west side area codes that have much higher incidents of murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:40 PM

11 posts, read 15,819 times
Default 38th Street Apartments

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinb737 View Post
Can anyone tell me about this address. Safe or not?

430 E 38th St APT 5, Indianapolis, IN 46205
I wouldn't automatically discount these apartments just because they're on 38th Street. While 38th Street itself can seem pretty intimidating, some of the historic apartments between Meridian and College are actually pretty nice. I'm not sure about these specifically, but area to the immediate north, and even to the south west, is very nice and fairly safe (for a city).

I wouldn't walk around there late at night, but you'll see people walking and biking every evening.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:44 AM

143 posts, read 237,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDelaware View Post
I wouldn't automatically discount these apartments just because they're on 38th Street. While 38th Street itself can seem pretty intimidating, some of the historic apartments between Meridian and College are actually pretty nice. I'm not sure about these specifically, but area to the immediate north, and even to the south west, is very nice and fairly safe (for a city).

I wouldn't walk around there late at night, but you'll see people walking and biking every evening.
That area is pretty hit or miss, and can be pretty dicey, just depending on who is in the area at the time. There were several people shot a couple years ago at that Subway near Tarkington park. Like a lot of Indy, go a couple blocks and the area is fine (further north of 38th is much better).

Old 08-01-2014, 07:09 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
One of my closest friends lives in Watson-McCord, a couple blocks south of 38th Street and east of College. His family loves the area, and they've not had any problems beyond some of the petty stuff you run into in an urban environment.

Just throwing that out there...........yes 38th Street gets a bad rap, and yes there are some tough areas in that vicinity. You can live along and on both sides of 38th in that area if you choose your spots wisely.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:14 AM

11 posts, read 15,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammwill View Post
That area is pretty hit or miss, and can be pretty dicey, just depending on who is in the area at the time. There were several people shot a couple years ago at that Subway near Tarkington park. Like a lot of Indy, go a couple blocks and the area is fine (further north of 38th is much better).
The area can be "dicey" as you say depending on who is there at the time, but the same can be said for Irvington and Fountain Square. And while this part of town might not get the attention either of those parts of town get, people shouldn't be afraid of it. The houses are beautiful and, in that immediate vicinity, there are a lot of solid, hard-working residents who care about city life.

Certainly the farther north you go, the better it gets, but I wouldn't want anyone thinking that 40th and New Jersey or even Penway and Washington Blvd to the south is "the hood" that it gets dismissed as.

If you don't get involved in criminal activities, don't have any mentally unstable relatives or acquaintances with a weapon and a grudge to bear, and if you keep your head up and stay smart, your likelihood of suffering from a crime is not very great.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:58 AM

7 posts, read 5,874 times
There are several options in and around Indy for rentals. I am actually a realtor in Indianapolis but I could help you find your perfect rental if you still need some help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis