Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 03:23 PM

14 posts, read 21,370 times

Advertisements

Okay awesome thank you! Westfield didn't seem to have much in restaurants and business I meant. Could've been the site I was on! I keep hearing a lot about Washington Township and Broad Ripple I know people liked a lot too. Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 06:25 PM

158 posts, read 175,169 times
Westfield is a nice area. It borders on Carmel and goes from suburban to country with easy access to things to do. Overall Indy is a great area to live in. Lots to do and very affordable. I would check apartments and rental homes in Westfield.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:28 AM

That murder that happened there was a rare thing right? I know the person knew the owner of the house but my god how horrible.

Last edited by Jriddy5000son; 09-04-2014 at 05:51 AM..

Old 09-04-2014, 11:31 AM

77 posts, read 112,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jriddy5000son View Post
That murder that happened there was a rare thing right? I know the person knew the owner of the house but my god how horrible.
Which murder? Rare? Not so much. Lately murder in Indy is a common thing. It is somewhat isolated, but there have also been home invasions and random killings of innocent people.

I don't know what kind of life you are expecting here if you live in Indy. Do you live in a safe suburban or rural type of setting now?

Indy is really spread out and if you live in one of those area like Noblesville or Westfield you will probably be using the shopping and restaurants up on that north side outside of Marion county most of the time. If you have children you are putting in public schools, stay away from IPS and the townships. You will get a metro system (cold and systematic) feel from all of them. Carmel HS is huge and Hamilton is also large. Pendleton schools are good but that is pretty far out there, just like the towns mentioned on the west side.

I would consider other areas in the midwest before this one. There is so much violence and anger in this city. The only reason I am here is because I was from here a long time ago. I moved away and came back and it just isn't the same place. The economy isn't great. My brother is in IT and has not had success moving up. He can find a job, but it is just a job without much opportunity. My husband has worked for himself in the trades while here because the job market in his field is awful.

Columbus or Bloomington IN are much better communities IMO. Ohio has some nice cities the size of Indy with much better culture as well.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Very rare, most of the violence is inner city in certain pockets. This was a targeted crime. The scumbag who did it had worked for the homeowner in his landscaping business. He was fired from the job and sought revenge.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:50 PM

Ahh awesome okay thanks

Old 09-04-2014, 09:54 PM

Anger? Really? I am from a rural area and will most likely move to Westfield, Carmel, Brownsburg or if I found a real nice area downtown maybe. Don't move there? I know I've seen complaints, but not one that drastic.

Thanks for your opinion though, I appreciate all!

Old 09-05-2014, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Anger? Really? I am from a rural area and will most likely move to Westfield, Carmel, Brownsburg or if I found a real nice area downtown maybe. Don't move there? I know I've seen complaints, but not one that drastic.

Thanks for your opinion though, I appreciate all!

I laughed when I saw those comments. Not even close. This board has been taken over by the "misery" crowd.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:43 AM

Everyone seemed so nice when I was out last year lol so I didn't know.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:49 AM

77 posts, read 112,183 times
I have family that live in Irvington and every single one of us that has parked on the street overnight there had their cars broken into including them. Their garage was broken into 2 times in a year so they put in security. My husband works in the high end residential areas of the suburbs and is always hearing stories about multiple home break ins. (He told me about a home today that had their windows bashed in and then when they couldn't break the safe, they went into the basement and destroyed the pipes and flooded the place. They have two neighbors also robbed in the past week.)

Random violent acts happen around this city frequently. This happened at a gas station we frequent (during the day only now) and is close to where we live near Geist. For a long time it was the closest gas station for our area.
3 people shot at gas station overnight in Lawrence - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

There are things that I love about the area and Indy including the Children's Museum, Conner Prairie, IMA, the zoo at Halloween, the tallest Christmas tree on the circle (and the lighting over the thanksgiving holiday), great library system, some good parks like Ft Ben and some good breweries.

To not admit that there is a problem here right now is absurd. There was a police officer killed just a month ago for no good reason. The family claimed that the cop should have stayed in his car.
Family Of Cop-Killer: If Officer Had Stayed In His Car, He Wouldn’t Have Been Shot

The area around the new stadium is nice. I go to that area a couple times a year and stay at the JW for work. It is a tiny pocket of nice and new in Indy. There are pockets of revitalized areas that I might consider living if I didn't have kids. I can't afford private school and I want my kids to feel safe and at ease where they live and go to school. I would recommend going to visit the schools if you are considering an area. This happened at the high school we are zoned for in our current home. Lawrence Central student arrested for alleged rape at school - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

If you must be near Indy, I would recommend taking a close look at Noblesville, Brownsburg, Avon and even Greenwood at the rent you can afford. Carmel area is nice, but if you don't have the money to throw around it may be difficult. Fishers is okay, but the rent can be high there as well. It is an area densely populated with almost identical neighborhoods that go on forever and good schools. It feels very crowded there when I use those area businesses.

I'm not saying don't move here. There are good things here and the cost of living may be very appealing compared to where you are now. I just don't think it is fair to paint Indy all rainbows and moonbeams when it isn't. It has some very serious blemishes for someone looking to raise a family here. You also have to realize that when you are looking for a place to raise a family you can't put too much weight on what is going to happen in 5-10 years. The kids grow up in a place that is what it is now, not what it is going to be eventually.

Good luck to you. It is a really tough decision to move your family somewhere completely new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis