Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 03:41 PM

3 posts, read 8,376 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I will be moving to Indianapolis in the fall to attend IUSM. I will be moving with S.O who has a job in industry on the southwest side of Indy. I have mostly been looking into 1B apartments in the suburbs (Zionsville, Carmel, maybe Fishers). I like the suburban feel of these places but not so much the commute.

I'm looking any places downtown that are nice, safe, and affordable (Preferrably in the $800 or less range). I'm thoroughly finished with any sort of college-atmosphere: music blaring at 2 AM, beer bottles/mattresses in the yard, etc.

Is there a nice area with grad students or young professional types downtown for reasonable rent that might be a shorter commute than the suburbs?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 04:09 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
Vanrooy.com is a property manager who has a large inventory of apts. downtown and a pretty good reputation. Apollo Aurora is in my neighborhood and except for the road work they are doing on Alabama right now is very safe and quiet. The issue with apartments is availability since a large number of students come down at the same time.

I would be careful of Stallard and Zender as far as apartments under their management.

A friend lives at Oxford Gables on 38th and loves it. It has great ratings too but i am not sure of rent for their one bedrooms.

What is IUSM?

Old 10-08-2014, 04:56 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Vanrooy.com is a property manager who has a large inventory of apts. downtown and a pretty good reputation. Apollo Aurora is in my neighborhood and except for the road work they are doing on Alabama right now is very safe and quiet. The issue with apartments is availability since a large number of students come down at the same time.

I would be careful of Stallard and Zender as far as apartments under their management.

A friend lives at Oxford Gables on 38th and loves it. It has great ratings too but i am not sure of rent for their one bedrooms.

What is IUSM?
IUSM: Indiana University School of Medicine

Old 10-08-2014, 06:00 PM

42 posts, read 68,029 times
I live in the Old North Side (ONS) neighborhood downtown (it's between 12th and 16th street, and Pennsylvania and College). It has a number of nice old apartment buildings nestled amidst very nice old houses. Quiet and leafy neighborhood. An easy bike ride to med school for sure. Or a walk. NOT a student area, but close to amenities on Massachusetts Ave very nearby (a few blocks walk). My wife teaches at IU Indy and loves being so close.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:39 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorman View Post
I'm looking any places downtown that are nice, safe, and affordable (Preferrably in the $800 or less range). I'm thoroughly finished with any sort of college-atmosphere: music blaring at 2 AM, beer bottles/mattresses in the yard, etc.

Is there a nice area with grad students or young professional types downtown for reasonable rent that might be a shorter commute than the suburbs?
Lockefield Gardens, The Avenue, or any of the places on the canal (Canal Square, Gardens of Canal Courts...and there are others) is where you want to look. Stay way from rentals in Ransom Place, the small residential district east of The Avenue and NE of Lockefield Gardens, that is where the kids have their parties at. Additionally, 1201 Indiana Ave., known as 1201, is a huge party spot as well, plus there are some homes just across the river from IUPUI that are known party areas. Lockefield Gardens is likely going to be the cheapest place as it is the oldest of all three. Lockefield and The Avenue are the closest as you will be walking to school.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:06 AM

Pretty much all the historic neighborhoods in downtown are places I would live and do live. In the core, there are buildings that i would not even go into but they are pretty obvious and the rents are super low because most would not live there. If you see Chatham Arch, St. Joseph, Old Northside, Mass Ave., and others as neighborhoods, it would be worth checking the apartment.

Here is one place worth checking out. Maryden - MBA Rents : MBA Rents I have not been inside but the location is good. They have a couple of other market rate buildings but I cannot find info on rent. One call should find that out. All are well maintained on the outside and close to where I live and a walk or bike ride to IUSM.

Riley Towers web rates are beyond your limit but they say call for student rates. Worth a call. Very well maintained high rise with amenities and terrific location.

Circa is just being built and is huge and well located just off Mass and College. Worth checking and calling on availability and rent.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:31 AM

3 posts, read 8,376 times
Thanks everyone for the great ideas! Being able to walk to campus sounds awesome! Would never have been able to find all these areas by myself. We're going this weekend to scout out the places we might be interested in.

I assume not being college-town places that for most of these, one would start inquiring about vacancy 3 months or so before move-in? Around here, you sign around October-November for August housing but my understanding is that this is not generally the case.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:52 AM

coreredevelopment.com has a number of apartments downtown and rents some in the Harding Street Lofts. They have taken older buildings and renovated them with modern features. The Senate and Capitol Manor buildings are in a great location with easy access to the canal, short walk to school and a brand new grocery store within about 3 blocks. Easy walk downtown etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis