Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 03:26 PM

525 posts, read 719,218 times

Advertisements

Thank you for sharing your perspective about Indianapolis! Based on the comments, most view Indy as Midwestern.

I had my own reasons for asking. Here are my reasons:

1. Indiana seems to be conservative politically compared to the rest of the Midwest outside the Great Plains.

2. Like Missouri, Indiana has its own share of population that identify their religion as Baptist, especially evangelicals. I believe most of the Midwest is Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, and non-religious.

3. Even in Indiana, people are friendly in what you call "Hooiser Hospitality." It's similiar to southern hospitality compared to Minnesota Nice/reserved nature of most Midwesterners, IMO.

4. Indy 500 makes me think of NASCAR. Isn't NASCAR a southern orientation extremely popular with rednecks and country folks? No offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 03:34 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,004 times
Except for a couple of towns like Indianapolis and Gary, Indiana is not historically very Catholic or Ellis Island Immigrant either. Some Indiana places (like Muncie) have only a marginal Catholic % for a town of its size. Other small cities in Ohio and Michigan and Wisconsin are half Catholic or more, with multiple schools and churches.
There's a great movie, I forget which one, where I think Jack Lemmon's parents come from Indiana to visit their son in NYC. they act like a couple of uptight midwestern rubes in the big city and can't believe their son would be living in such a Sodom and Gomorrah. ("Did you see all the lights? No wonder the city's going broke!")I could be getting all of that wrong, including the movie, however.
But when I come back home to visit, many people act just like them. It's 2014 but the Midwestern values and opinions about outside of Indiana and the Midwest (for good and for bad) loom large. I moved to Cleveland, for crying out loud, and people thought I was big-city wicked when I would tell them about life there. As good a movie as Hoosiers was about basketball, it really spoke volumes about the types of people living in Indiana towns. It's still there. No matter how "big-city" Indianapolis tries to be.

Last edited by kpl1228; 10-22-2014 at 03:44 PM..

Old 10-22-2014, 03:54 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
1. Indiana seems to be conservative politically compared to the rest of the Midwest outside the Great Plains.
Yes, Indiana is conservative. Like a lot of other cities, Indianapolis tends to lean left of the state it is in. That is not to call Indianapolis liberal, because who the **** cares.

Quote:
2. Like Missouri, Indiana has its own share of population that identify their religion as Baptist, especially evangelicals. I believe most of the Midwest is Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, and non-religious.
According to emperical research and real data, Indiana's level of catholicsmis on par with Michigan and Ohio. By the way, you can only get gay married in one of those three states. Care to guess which one?

Quote:
3. Even in Indiana, people are friendly in what you call "Hooiser Hospitality." It's similiar to southern hospitality compared to Minnesota Nice/reserved nature of most Midwesterners, IMO.
The nicest people I have ever met...............live in Boston. No joke. Is Boston southern now?

Quote:
4. Indy 500 makes me think of NASCAR. Isn't NASCAR a southern orientation extremely popular with rednecks and country folks? No offense.
That is like saying basketball and soccer are alike because they use a round ball. Ever been to a NASCAR race in Michigan? Is Michigan southern now?

Old 10-22-2014, 05:04 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Except for a couple of towns like Indianapolis and Gary, Indiana is not historically very Catholic or Ellis Island Immigrant either. Some Indiana places (like Muncie) have only a marginal Catholic % for a town of its size. Other small cities in Ohio and Michigan and Wisconsin are half Catholic or more, with multiple schools and churches.
There's a great movie, I forget which one, where I think Jack Lemmon's parents come from Indiana to visit their son in NYC. they act like a couple of uptight midwestern rubes in the big city and can't believe their son would be living in such a Sodom and Gomorrah. ("Did you see all the lights? No wonder the city's going broke!")I could be getting all of that wrong, including the movie, however.
But when I come back home to visit, many people act just like them. It's 2014 but the Midwestern values and opinions about outside of Indiana and the Midwest (for good and for bad) loom large. I moved to Cleveland, for crying out loud, and people thought I was big-city wicked when I would tell them about life there. As good a movie as Hoosiers was about basketball, it really spoke volumes about the types of people living in Indiana towns. It's still there. No matter how "big-city" Indianapolis tries to be.
Bolded mine.. seriously ?

Never been to Cleveland, but I've never heard of anyone (in IN or anywhere else) speak of it in a "big-city wicked" way.

Is life in Cleveland really that different from Indy ?

Old 10-22-2014, 06:02 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
This is completely sound intellectually.

[that was sarcasm]
Use all the sarcasm you want, but the points are true. Hence, my belief that Indy has a southern-ish feel and history to it.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:05 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post

Never been to Cleveland, but I've never heard of anyone (in IN or anywhere else) speak of it in a "big-city wicked" way.

Although it's based on Cleveland's recent past, the movie Kill the Irishman will give you a taste of Cleveland's recent past. Another favorite Cleveland movie is The Fortune Cookie (1966). You can't make these movies based in Indy. 1970s Cleveland was the U.S. version of Belfast.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:18 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Use all the sarcasm you want, but the points are true. Hence, my belief that Indy has a southern-ish feel and history to it.
So................your conclusion about Indianapolis is that it is southern-ish because the klan existed in other parts of the state? That would be like me calling Ohio the Mississippi of the Great Lakes because the Klan assembled in Fountain Square Cincinnati. Oh wait, that would never happen in Ohio, no city would ever issue a permit for that, right? Arresting someone who would dare take down a klan cross, as recently as 20 years ago? No way that would happen. Right?

[that last part was sarcasm, Cincinnati totally let that happen, and Cincinnati is in Ohio]

Old 10-22-2014, 07:29 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Although it's based on Cleveland's recent past, the movie Kill the Irishman will give you a taste of Cleveland's recent past. Another favorite Cleveland movie is The Fortune Cookie (1966). You can't make these movies based in Indy. 1970s Cleveland was the U.S. version of Belfast.
Both of the movies are rated above 7.0 on IMDB so I'll have to put them on my list, they sound interesting.

It sounds like you're hinting that Cleveland is a lot less bland than Indy i.e. a colorful Irish enclave.. probably has more ethnic neighborhoods in general, Little Italy, Chinatown, I'm guessing ?

Has your own personal experience been that living in Cleveland feels a lot more like a big city than Indy, then?

Old 10-22-2014, 07:35 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
Midwestern? Indianapolis is part Hillbilly, part Redneck, part Right Wing Christian Nutcase/KKK, and part Neanderthal, with a fairly large African American population. The net result is not good.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:45 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post

Just ask the Cleveland homers in their forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis