Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:14 AM

108 posts, read 166,081 times

Advertisements

It seems reddit is much more positive. Check out this thread:

Hi guys! I'm a liberal sci-fi nerd who's interested in a job in your fair city. I know nothing about Indy except stereotypes that make me nervous. Enlighten me, please! : indianapolis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 08:42 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,808 times
I honestly think everything is more positive about Indy than CD. I've never seen so many people that hate the city like they do here.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:48 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Reddit is for smart people.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:17 AM

143 posts, read 237,811 times
Yeah, personally I've found the sheer level of negativity and anger on this forum surprising. I even mentioned it to one of the moderators - I'm on other forums and they're a bit more civil for the most part.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:17 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,269,625 times
Yeah, it's not just Indy. It's all over this forum. If only I could access reddit at work. lol

Old 09-18-2014, 01:14 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I honestly think everything is more positive about Indy than CD. I've never seen so many people that hate the city like they do here.
With the way the job market is today and how unstable things are overall, people have to be extremely cautious if they're investigating new areas. There's a lot of pessimism in society at-large, and that spills over onto the city boards. Indy is also kind of "just there" - it's not a place that many folks have much of a strong opinion about, good or bad, IMO.

I know I seem down on Indy sometimes, but it's doing much better overall than my hometown back in TN.

If you want to see negative, look at the Kingsport-Johnson City-Bristol boards on the TN forums. Pretty much everyone is negative on those boards.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:36 PM

Well it is definitely not a shining flag type of thread but yeah, I moved from Indy to Salt Lake City for a decade or so; spent time in LA; work out of San Jose; spent time in Vegas; personally glad to be back as an older adult now. I like how the thread is pertinent to young nerds. I was one of them. Now I am just an old nerd I guess. Indy to me, was a perfect place to raise our kids. We visited Dallas/Ft. Worth and Nashville. We decided Indy was the place to go and so far, we are very happy with that decision. Some of the folks who post here seem to expect some sort of renaissance. I am not sure I get it. Do you guys ever have a meetup event? Picnic? Bar? Whatever? Just wondering?

Old 09-18-2014, 08:44 PM

For the record and any folks visiting this forum... Indy is an awesome place to make a life and raise a family. Ignore the naysayers!

Old 09-19-2014, 04:30 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
There are plenty of nice things said about Indianapolis. We once had a troll here who took that to the extreme and was ruining it for everyone.

I'm not sure what hate speech you are referring to, McDIndy … but if you see it, report it to me immediately.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:35 AM

3,985 posts, read 5,016,050 times
I've been in Indy for 3 months...from today to be exact!! It was nothing like I expected, even though I decided to not have any expectations! And it's really worked for me. My husband and I love it here...we love the trees and the fresh air. I keep hearing that the weather this summer wasn't typical but I don't care if it's hotter next year...this year was FANTASTIC.

I like all the choices of stuff to do...we're now members of the Indiana State Museum...AWESOME. We will probably become members of the zoo. We haven't done a huge amount of exploring of the city and all it has to offer but hey, we're not going anywhere! Oh, and I love the company I work for, so as long as they'll have me, I think I'm here to stay. Even if I notice a thing or two that might seem annoying (clueless drivers, i.e.), it's still not enough for me to have a negative opinion of this city.

I really feel fortunate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis