Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 01:26 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Isn't Louisville pretty well known as an outlier with its across the board lower crime?
When compared to Indy/Detroit, sure. I grew up in Louisville, and they have their share of crime, but it's incredibly limited geographically to a few areas of the city and not very widespread.

Comparing Indy to Chicago isn't really an apples/apples comparison.

Indy is a lot grittier than most residents care to admit. I lived in parts of Indy for 8 years. Indy suburbia is rather safe, but also rather boring (at least to me and other couples who don't have kids - DINKS) Indy downtown has some stuff to offer, and I really like the IMA, but overall, metro Indy just is meh. I've lived all over the place, and I would prefer downtown Orlando over downtown Indy, and I'm not even a nightclub person. Neither is really a place you want to hang out at after dark without a major event happening, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 01:52 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
When compared to Indy/Detroit, sure. I grew up in Louisville, and they have their share of crime, but it's incredibly limited geographically to a few areas of the city and not very widespread.

Comparing Indy to Chicago isn't really an apples/apples comparison.

Indy is a lot grittier than most residents care to admit. I lived in parts of Indy for 8 years. Indy suburbia is rather safe, but also rather boring (at least to me and other couples who don't have kids - DINKS) Indy downtown has some stuff to offer, and I really like the IMA, but overall, metro Indy just is meh. I've lived all over the place, and I would prefer downtown Orlando over downtown Indy, and I'm not even a nightclub person. Neither is really a place you want to hang out at after dark without a major event happening, in my opinion.
My post was rhetorical. Louisville is known for its lower crime rate compared to most cities its size and should be commended.

I've never been to Orlando; though I would (and regularly do) question the credibility of anyone who is worried about being in downtown Indianapolis after dark.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:19 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
My post was rhetorical. Louisville is known for its lower crime rate compared to most cities its size and should be commended.

I've never been to Orlando; though I would (and regularly do) question the credibility of anyone who is worried about being in downtown Indianapolis after dark.
You know that 16th and Washington is still considered downtown right? Not just the 6-8 square block where all the hotels and the mall are, right?

Old 01-17-2015, 03:29 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
Quote:
You know that 16th and Washington is still considered downtown right? Not just the 6-8 square block where all the hotels and the mall are, right?
I've lived in the Indy area all my life. I've always defined "downtown" as the mile square. The borders to downtown, for me, are I-70/I-65 on the east side, I-65 on the north side, White River and Fall Creek on the west side, and I-70 on the south side. I worked with a guy who lived near Garfield Park and said he lived downtown, we had to agree to disagree on that. I guess that I could see extending that definition a bit, but anything outside the mileish square seems to me "near-whatever side" and not really "downtown."

Old 01-17-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
16th and Washington don't intersect.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:08 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times
Default Downtown Indy

I agree with Indy317 definition of downtown Indy, though Mile Square may be too limiting IMO. Interstates and a river definitely create a line of separation. For instance, Children's Museum and Methodist are near downtown Indy but I would not say they are downtown Indy. Mile square is more limited definition as it does not include Lucas Stadium for instance. 16th street while closer than Children's Museum is outside of downtown Indy and I believe northern boundary parallels I65 (between 11th and 12th St). My definition also includes IUPUI campus though admittedly this can be argued either way.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I agree with Indy317 definition of downtown Indy, though Mile Square may be too limiting IMO. Interstates and a river definitely create a line of separation. For instance, Children's Museum and Methodist are near downtown Indy but I would not say they are downtown Indy. Mile square is more limited definition as it does not include Lucas Stadium for instance. 16th street while closer than Children's Museum is outside of downtown Indy and I believe northern boundary parallels I65 (between 11th and 12th St). My definition also includes IUPUI campus though admittedly this can be argued either way.
I've more often than not heard the generally accepted boundaries of downtown as the river and interstates; with the mile square as the core of that. I have known people to loosely refer to everything in Center Township as downtown; but those are not people I solicit advice on the city from.

I've also known people, white women even, who walk from apartments along 16th street in Old Northside to downtown for work at all hours. After dark even. They survived, somehow, by the grace of God I am sure (that part was sarcastic). They never considered themselves as living downtown.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:41 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Louisville is an outlier in safety mainly after the 2003 merger. We are usually Top 10 safest among the 30 largest cities. The old city limits was worse than the merged city though still better than other small central cities relative to population. But metro area wide we're the same as other safer than average places like Cincinnati or Columbus.

The most murders I can remember in Jefferson Co was 85 in 2005. We tend to be between 48 to 60 most years. As another poster noted homicides are highly concentrated West and SW of Downtown. That's usually where 85% of homicides occur. The other 75% of the county is very safe. The two Indiana counties across the river from downtown never have more than a couple homicides each, they have a combined 200k people

Old 01-19-2015, 05:59 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Regional center, 16th st to the north which is why methodist is a DT hospital. Belt line to the west on the other side of the river. 70 to the south and 65 to the east. That's official per DMD.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Regional center, 16th st to the north which is why methodist is a DT hospital. Belt line to the west on the other side of the river. 70 to the south and 65 to the east. That's official per DMD.
By that logic, the Wendy's at 24th and Meridian is downtown because regional center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis